“Poor service in the bar/restaurant”

Red Mangrove Aventura Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 62 Restaurants in Puerto Ayora
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, View
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 February 2016

We stopped in here for a drink about dusk. The atmosphere is wonderful, and the view is great. It took forever to get waited on, then a long time to get our drinks, and the server was clueless. We also had to go find her to pay. We observed another party leave because of no service.

Reviewed 2 January 2016 via mobile

The ambience and location of the place is amazing, but the service is awful, the waitress are not trained and do not even know the menu. Every question you make they have to go and and ask for details. It took a very long time to get the food and even the drinks. If you want yo see the Sea Lions up close, just walk in and take your pictures, is not even worth to order a drink , you would wait for a long time.

1  Thank Beatrix R
Reviewed 31 December 2015

This restaurant has a lovely ambiance and outdoor patio setting but food quality and service desperately needs attention ! We recently stayed in their hotel for a week and found that the bulk of the business the restaurant receives is for the " breakfast buffet " which was included with our accommodation.

The breakfast buffet was basic, and fundamentally the same for the entire week – coffee, fresh juice, limited fresh fruit, cereal, scrambled eggs, rice, sausage, chicken, toast, coldcuts, and processed cheese. On two different occasions waffles, and pan de yucca was available. Items in the hot serving trays were often not fresh nor warm, and frequently trays were emptied and not refilled.

During our weeks stay we saw very little evening restaurant traffic for dining. This caused us to be very apprehensive of dining here. The dinner menu is Japanese dishes and sushi. On our final evening we had dinner here. We had a sushi maki roll, vegetable tempura, teriyaki chicken, and two drinks at a cost of $ 100.

The vegetable tempura was small chunks of pepper, carrot, and onion in a limited very salty, crusty batter. The sushi roll was very disappointing - soggy and not at all fresh ! The teryaki chicken was just okay. In hindsight we should have returned our food as we were both very ill.

Much better options for both sushi, and dining in Puerto Ayora. I would avoid dining here again or be very cautious.

4  Thank global3adventure
Reviewed 7 December 2015

The entrance to this place builds expectations as it meanders through a dark but perfectly lit, mangrove filled boardwalk. But at the main desk (it's also a small hotel), the 2 people seated there didn't greet me (and i walked out and tried again the next day..same story!), neither did the wait staff in the empty restaurant. I had to seek them out to get any sort of service. But their deck built over the lava rock coast is superb! Great ambience for a sundowner; their happy hour is only from 6-7 pm every day and offers 2x1 of the standard list of gringo cocktails (mojito, rum and coke etc), and the drinks weren't as good as at other less expensive places in town. I had to flag down a waiter to order dinner (chicken teriyaki), which was average and overpriced ($18 plus tax and service...22% more), and then had to flag her down again long after my plate was cleared to get it removed and the bill delivered. She apologized but it was too late for me. Won't go back. Ok, maybe just for the view...

ps. on both visits, the place as nearly empty. That's always a bad sign, that I should have heeded!

Reviewed 26 October 2015 via mobile

My wife and I sat for almost an hour outside waiting for a waiter to take our order, when we finally did go to order drinks they were out of Coca Cola, so I decided on a Corona, which they were also out of. Then we continued with our food order, we were going to get 3 sushi rolls. The waiter of the restaurant which advertises themselves as a sushi bar informed us that they do not serve sushi until the evening. We ended up both ordering cocktails, and sharing ceviche, the overall quality of the food and drinks was okay. I wasn't really impressed, and due to the quality of service I can't say I would recommend this place.