All reviews great location clean rooms beer pong great bar hot water air conditioner wi fi the owner place to stay volunteers vibe jenga beach argentina dorm spanish key
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Being a solo traveler, it was a little difficult to meet people since it was more of a clique bar scene. On top of that, it was difficult to get a good nights sleep because of the bar because it was loud at night usually until about 3 am. The drinks at the bar were fairly good and during Happy Hour they are fairly inexpensive.

Also, it would have been nice to have been provided a map of the local area. All other hostels, I have stayed at gave me one when entering. They had a map on the wall, but not that helpful if you're out and about.

Room tip: If you want to sleep I wouldn't recommend here. It is loud at night because of the bar that shares the same floor as some of the rooms.
Date of stay: March 2018
Reviewed 1 February 2018

Chesco's hostel has clean rooms and a fun atmosphere. There was karaoke at the bar at night as well as a huge Jenga game. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Chesco's due to the friendly and helpful staff. There is an ice cream shop beneath the hostel which has great ice cream and good food. The bar was loud at night from certain rooms, but overall I highly recommend Chesco's due to the excellent service.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Chescos is certainly one of the better hostels I've stayed at in Ecuador. My room was clean and comfortable, and I was even upgraded to a single after they had overbooked the dorm. The hostel had a solid surf vibe with a bit of a hipster twist.

Having good Spanish would make for a better social experience here. The owner spoke English, but most of the young hostel volunteers and guests were Latinos and we spoke only in Spanish.

That aside, Chescos is simply a good value budget accommodation choice. It's set up well for solo travelers and groups alike. This hip spot on the beach is a place where you get your money's worth!

Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed 26 December 2017

The common spaces in this hostel are amazing. Very clean, great bar, amazing view. My room smelled a bit (it was an interior room and seems hard to get air into) but had strong air conditioning. As reported, small, but that didn't bother me. The price is good value. Rooms are cleaned every other day. The location is hard to beat. The wi-fi did not work in my room, even though there was a separate wi-fi for my own floor. Hmmm. Note, the street noises permeate even the back rooms, from beach whistling to music to sirens. Again, this did not bother me because it's what I signed on for (slept with headphones). If you have a young kid or something, maybe avoid this part of the beach.

The difference in the vibe here is night and day, literally. During the day, the staff was listless and were very concerned with what was on their phone. At night, the place comes to life and this staff is more energetic, especially the bartender, who tries to make it a jovial place during 2x1 happy hour.

In my experience, Chescos is not a particularly friendly place to meet other travelers, and definitely did not feel well-worn on the backpacker circuit. There are no local suggestions for food, no tour suggestion, no travel suggestions...just a place to stay and figure it out on your own. This doesn't make it a bad place, it just makes it different than I thought it would be. It's very strange because it has everything from beer pong to Jenga to...all the normal popular hostel scenarios. It looks like a hostel but doesn't feel like one. I can't tell if this is because people are not coming to Ecuador, if it's a place for South Americans and less Anglo tourists, or everyone opts for Montanita over Salinas. Of course, if it WERE a raging hostel, I might be complaining about other things, so I'll keep it at four stars and shut my yap.

Date of stay: December 2017
1  Thank idoltraveller
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

It’s in a great location being on the seafront which is great for those hanging out in the bar but you do sleep in a box with no view. Bed is hard which I personally like and ‘the box’ is clean also there is a nice atmosphere but all in all I would choose a town slightly further north next time as Salinas bares no beauty.

Date of stay: December 2017