“March 2012”

SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort
Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Makadi Bay
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel 10 days at the beginning of March.
The weather was 26 degrees most days. It was windy and cold in the evenings
The food was fantastic, we tried most few of the a la cartes.... The bedouin being our favourites. The staff cannot do enough for you. The service is second to none . It is rated a 5* but this is by egyptian standards. I'd say 3-4*
Get a red flag from the towel centre helps fend off the salespeople!

Room Tip: if you don't like your room just ask for another we did no fuss
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gadget11

Reviewed 11 March 2012

What can I say about this hotel that has not already been said, well to be honest very little The hotel is like a small piece of paradise the grounds are fantastic when you consider the hotel is on the edge of the desert, I have travelled to this hotel with my Husband ,friends and family many times over the last few years and each time we go we have the standard saying "this holiday can't be better than the last" and yet it always is there is always something new or something that has been improved, this time it is the introduction of the terminal screens in the lobby bar which enables guests to pre book an al a carte restaurant of your choice and at a time that suites for up to three days in advance, We tend to use the wi-fi internet while in resort and were amazed at the improved quality of the signal around the hotel that the IT Manager Mr Ehab has been able to introduce and to top that the hotel have greatly reduced the price of using the internet with various buy one get one free offers.

Many people have made comments in past reviews about guest from other countries my experience of meeting guests from around the world has been first class at this hotel I feel very guilty that most guests will attempt to speak with you in English and we are in the main totally unable to speak to them in there language it has been a pleasure to meet many people from all over Europe east and west we have also made one or two good friends from Russia.

We stayed 3rd / 9th March while the paths around the resort were being re-laid I can say this work caused us no concerns whatsoever and did not disturb our holiday in anyway.

As I mentioned at the start of this review there is no point repeating the comments about the restaurants and facilities at this hotel as they are all fantastic, we had a fantastic holiday as we always do here and felt as though we were treated like royalty by the Managment team and staff alike these are the people who make this hotel a truly 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a central location
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank radleydiamond
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Just returned from the SRM with my partner and our friends and had a great time after my sixth visit to Egypt.

As other reviews are stating this is not a 5 star property but deserves a 4 star at least for its layout, pool areas, beach and A La carte restaurants. The food from here being some of the best i have witnessed and eaten on an all inclusive holiday and not just in Egypt.

We ate at five of the A La Carte's (Steak House - Twice, Mexican, Italian, Asian and Mediteranean) and i could not say i had a poor meal. Most of it being exceptionally good. I must also mention the reason we returned to the Steak house was not just the food but the service we received from Abul Hassan. Abul you should be promoted as you kept us smiling and laughing even though the winds were nearly blowing the things off the table.
Breakfast and lunch we mainly ate at the Round the World restaurant that doubles as the Mediteranean, more due to it being far more relaxed and pleasant surroundings than that of the Main Buffet which i think would put a lot of people off at this hotel.

Due to the strong winds we had upon arrival for a couple of days we visited the beach as with the number of wind breaks available, once you were on your sun lounger you surprisingly were able to escape the wind. There is a very handy little bar on the rear of the beach at a central point for your drinks although you had to walk a couple of hundred yards to get to the main pool area for food from any of three restaurants or snack bars.

Following the drop in the winds after the weekend we settled at the smaller pool area that was by blocks 35 and 36. This pool area being of a nice size with not too many people and also being one of a couple of heated pools at the hotel. I must also say a big thank you to the staff at this pool too being, Emed, El Gandy and Mohamed who between them kept us refreshed with drinks, amused and infromed on the questions we asked of them.

My main reason for the 4 star and not 5 is due to a couple of areas in the hotel that i would say are in need of touch up as in decor, or improvement as in they have probably gone past the just touch up stage.

The Main Reception and Bar areas are very dark and are the first part of the hotel you see upon arrival. With a colour change to something lighter along with an update of the old tatty couches and seats, this would appear far more appealing as your first siting in the hotel

The Main Buffet Area i am a little lost for words with as it is very shabby and seems far more older than the six years i have read in another review by somebody. I would go as far as guessing this has not been improved since it was opened. Thank god i had the options of the A La Carte's and Round the World restaurants to me as my first opinion on my first evening at the hotel was 'What the hell have i come to'.

We stayed in Block 15 which i would say was one of the closest blocks to the Main Building which housed Reception and the Main Buffet. Our room was of good proportions and very clean and kept clean by the very friendly and chatty, Mustafah. My main issue with the room was the bathroom. The shower area was very old and in need of replacing. Grout and Sealant patching all over the shower cubicle area standing out. The shower itself though was very good with great pressure and plenty of hot water.

I hope this review does not stop anybody thinking of going to this hotel as the few negatives i have raised would not stop me returning here another time.

Room Tip: Have a upper level room and Block 15 where we stayed could be noisy at times from the entertainment...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Just came back from this hotel 9/3/2012....most that needs to be said about this place has already been said .. This is not a 5 star hotel , more like a 4 star...Egypt seems to have its own star rating system .... As for the paths around the resort these were being repaired on a daily basis with mounds of sand dumped on foot paths which are not barriered off .. My wife and I had no alternative but to use these unfinished paths to get to the main hotel and restaurants and on one night as i was climbing over the sand to get to the resturant I fell and sprained my foot .. I went and complained to the Thomas cook rep .. He got the manager of the hotel out from his office . Both the manager and the rep were very concerned about what had happed to me and were very apologetic .. They moved us to a very nice junior suite and a fruit basket and a bottle of wine were given to us .. I later saw the hotel doctor and he was very helpfully .. All the staff seemed very friendly towards us .. As for the russians ... Well they were majority of sunrises guests next to the French and Germans ...Then us brits ... we only used the main buffet restaurant twice and on each occasion it was a big free for all to compete against the ruskis before they scoffed the whole flamin lot !
.as for the entertainment ? Well....it's ;45 mins of quick fire singing and dancing and the animation team just did there best! ... But to be honest it was a the only thing on offer ... Beach is nice .. With loads of sunbeds , but the guys trying to sell you a massage were a right pain they are constantly hassling you .. All in all .... This hotel isn't that bad ...with room for improvement ..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mpbg10384
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I'm a travel agent and after reading the reviews on the SRM, I was in two minds about it. We stayed at this hotel for a week at the beginning of March. The weather was 26 degrees most days. It can be windy but unlike some reviews on here, I didn't let this ruin my holiday!
The food was fantastic, we tried a few of the a la cartes...asian, italian, mexican and bedouin. The asian and italian being our favourites.
The staff cannot do enough for you. The service is second to none and that's even you don't tip every day! We tended to tip at the end of our meal and at the end of the evening in the lobby bar.
Big thanks to Passam who was brilliant, always knew what drinks we had :-)
As an agent, I would recommend this hotel to my customers. It is rated a 5* but this is by egyptian standards. It isn't the same 5* standard as the UK and people need to recognise that when writing their reviews.
I travelled with my husband and when my husband wasn't around (i.e gone to bar etc) I was never hassled by men! All staff members were so polite to me!
Get a red flag by the pool/beach it helps fend off the salespeople!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
9.1 km away
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh
#3 of 222 in Hurghada

Been to SUNRISE Select Royal Makadi Resort? Share your experiences!