Jaz Aquaviva(Makadi Bay)
US$198
  • Breakfast included
Prima Life Makadi(Makadi Bay)
US$95
  • Pool
US$160
Orbitz.com
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$214/night.

US$258
  • Breakfast included
Serenity Fun City(Makadi Bay)
US$209
US$197
Priceline
8,473 results
All reviewsfamily poolpergola bart bonewelcome homea la carte restaurantsanimation teammain restaurantvictoria pubvip poolred flagblue wavesthomas cookthe mexican restaurantgreat holidaymain poolroom in blockguest services
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We wanted to have a very special holiday this year as it is our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we decided to go back to somewhere we loved 3 years ago when we were here in October 2009. Our decision was proved to be good as the holiday was even better than last time.
We had booked the holiday through Thomas Cook from 4th May for 11 nights, unfortunately there had been a change in flight times and we did not arrive at the hotel until close to midnight very tired indeed. I am afraid the journey was not helped by an extensive delay at Immigration in Hurghada airport, must have been over an hour, which was made to seem longer due to a couple having an almighty fallout directly behind us the whole time we were queueing. The attitude of the Immigration officials when giving the correct change was also a lot to be desired, they were extremely anti to any pound coins.
Anyway back to the hotel, we arrived late and we were led to our room in Block 14. The room was of a very good standard. Unfortunately we had requested for a room in Block 34 not Ground Floor, but got Block 14 Ground Floor. For our next visit we would make sure any room requests are done direct with the hotel and not through Thomas Cook.
Once that minor irritation was out of the way, we concentrated on enjoying our holiday.
We had intended to spend more time by the pool/beach this time here and not go on so many trips.
Sunrise Royal Makadi is such a relaxing hotel and even though the hotel was quite full, it did not feel like it. We spent most of our time by the pool near blocks 34/35/36, this pool was a bit quieter/smaller than the main pool, but a great place to relax. We were well looked after by the pool barman, El Sayed, not even having to go up to the bar to get drinks. This pool also has a swim up bar, which is the best one in the complex, word of warning if you sit at the pool swim up bar for a long time just remember the sun is on your back.
There is no food served at this pool, but you can make the short walk to the Family pool accross the road and bring food back, which is no problem. The only annoying part of the pools is continuing presence of sales reps for spa/diving/boat trips etc. This can be particurlarly bad on your first day, as the fact you are white instead of tanned is like a beacon to these people. My advice would be to ask for a red flag from the towel center, this lets the sales reps know you do not want to be pestered, believe me it does work.
At all pools there are more than enough sunbeds, the sunbeds are newer at the pool at Block 34/35/36 than anywhere else and towel center staff are very accomodating and will help you as much as they can, for example when we were at the main pool one of the towel center staff fetched a sunbed from the beach for my wife to sit on.
There are 7 a la carte restaurants at the resort, we found some of them to be better than others, but you could go to them as many times as you like and new automated system for booking tables is a huge improvement.
We found the best restaurant to be Asian, followed closely by Italian and Greek Fish. The Bedouin restaurant has a fantastic atmosphere and excellent food. The Steakhouse had a poor menu selection for a Steakhouse, only one steak, but the food was very good. We also went to Med & Mexican restaurants but i think when we went the chef must have had a bad night, not so good. For Breakfast we usually ate at "Around the World" which has less choice than the meal buffet restaurant but much more relaxing
The day of Wedding Anniversary was perfect, 9th May, we had organised through the hotel several things for the day, many thanks to Barbora for organizing this.
We started with a Royal Breakfast at the Asian Restaurant, which is well worth the extra £6 per person. You get a great breakfast selection plus sparkling wine and get treated extremely well, many thanks to our waiter Mohammed. While we were eating i had arranged through the hotel for flowers to be delivered to the table which were perfect.
We had photos taken with United Photography, based in resort, at sunset which were very good, this company are very fair and we got some good photos. We finally had an evening meal at the Italian and we mentioned it was a special celebration. We were completely spoilt by the whole of the waiting staff and they made it a night to remember, the special surprise at the end is something we will always remember. This hotel certainly know how to celebrate your birthday, anniversary etc.
I found the hotel extremely clean, the cleaners do an amazing job of cleaning your room every day and if you are lucky will leave you towels in the shape of swans are in our case on our wedding anniversary heart shapes of red and yellow flowers with all our cards inside them. Absolutely fantastic.
We only went on one trip via Thomas Cook, it was a glass bottom boat trip from Hurghada. It was very enjoyable and good value for money, lots of good photos taken. This was booked through the TC rep, Mohammed who was excellent.
We had an excellent holiday at Sunrise Royal Makadi, a holiday we will never forget. We will returning here again in the future.

Room Tip: If you do not want to be continually approached by sales reps when around the pool, get a RED FLAG from the TOWEL CENTER. Be very careful when using the Pharmacy at the resort as the prices are extortionate. There is a pharmacy in the shopping parade in next door hotel called Tia Heights where the prices are much more reasonable. For example for upset stomach quoted 450 Egyptian pounds at resort pharmacy but only 96 Egyptian pounds at Tia Heights pharmacy. If you do not like the hustle and bustle of the main Buffet Restaurant with all the rude Russians and some Germans, you can go to "Around The World" buffet Restaurant which has less choice than the main restaurant, but still a lot of choice and is much much much more relaxing.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank davec1961
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We travelled as a group of 4 on the 4th of may with Thomas cook for 11 nights, Me, Hubby and our two girls Maisy ages6 and Olivia aged 9.

The flight was cramped and uncomfortable but bearable as we didn’t leave until 1.50 we arrived pretty late into Hurghada which wasn’t ideal but unpreventable the check in was incredibly easy even though I had completely forgotten to check in online 3 days before (cant believe I did that still!) but it made no difference to the check in which was quick and pleasant.

Hurghada airport wasn’t great to be honest numerous passport checks buy very grumpy people and long Ques. The bank kiosks were closed so no choice but to use tc desks. Note: I had taken 4 lots of £13 in 4x £10notes and 4 lots of £3 in coins thinking we would need to pay for visas individually, the guy wasn’t pleased and I had to root around to get the £52 just using notes and 2 x£1 coins. (Thought I was being helpful lol)

Once out of airport things improved dramatically went straight onto Coach Erin the rep (also in the kids club) was great and we made our way to the hotel. It was 11pm hotel time when we arrived and we were advised eve buffet had been extended till 12pm. Check in was busy but we decided just to hand in our passports and go get something to eat and a drink and return once things had quietened down. This proved to be a very good idea!!

We found the main restaurant difficult to find at first and wondered round a bit but relented and asked someone and then all was fine. We were shown to our room by one of the very pleasant bell boys and were left to settle in by this time it was about 12.30 hotel time 10.30 uk time so we were shattered. (maybe tc should look at the time of the flights and change this as with children was a bit difficult)

Next morning we unfortunately slept in and missed the tc rep meeting. I do wish we had gone to this as the site is so big and it took us a couple of days to find our feet the few small issues we experience would have never been a problem at all if we had attended this meeting. For this reason also we didn’t investigate the kids club until our 5th day and the kids absolutely loved it so wish we had got the girls in there sooner.

The staff were fantastic and the animation team were brill one of the highlights of the whole holiday for the girls was the evening entertainment and the little disco they had where the animation teem danced with the kids and played with them, the girls absolutely loved all of the attention.

The kids club was fantastic (and no extra cost which we didn’t realise) Erin and Rhiannon even won over my very clingy little girl who we struggle to get into school most mornings due to her wanting to stay with mommy. In fact on our last day they came to the pool to say goodbye and we had tears and maisy held on too Rhiannon’s legs and had to be peeled off!! Even on the sat night (they were given only Sundays off) when they had a night off and came along to the disco our girls ran over to them and danced and played with them. I asked if they wanted me to get them to leave them alone as I knew was their night off they refused and played and danced with the girls until it was time for them to go giving me and hubby a lovely couple of hours to have a drink uninterrupted. I cannot recommend them highly enough they girls even promised to write back if we send them a letter from England 

Our room was in block 35 it was a family room with 2 separate bedrooms which was great there was loads of room and a fab balcony looking out over the pool. The patio doors really did block out the sound (I was worried it would be noisy) and there were nets, black out curtains and then heavy curtains.. The bathroom was spacious with a walk in shower and clean and very usable. The air-con was fab and really helped cool the room.

Food:

The first 2 days we ate breakfast at the main buffet. We didn’t get there till aprox 10.15am and everything was being packed up and we ate just scrambled eggs and bread as that’s all that was left at that time. On the way out the restaurant manager mentioned that the Mexican served breakfast till 11 so if we liked to take breakfast later maybe we would be better off going there although he would be sad to see us not use his restaurant. Being late risers on holiday we tried the Mexican the next day and never looked back. It was quieter and Mohamed our waiter was fab and made a huge fuss of the girls. Every morning there was cereal, fruit, omelettes and pancakes made to our request a hot buffet and loads of gorgeous Danish style pastries. Best part for me was the vat of proper filtered coffee. We would finish breakfast then our drinks would be refilled and we would sit outside the restaurant and have 10 mins with a coffee and contemplate our day. Very relaxed and great service.

We tired both the main buffet restaurant and the around the world for lunch. We did prefer the around the world and used that most days we also had a fab waiter in there who came straight over to us each time we came in remembered what drinks we liked with lunch and chatted with the kids. The selection was fine for lunch in there. Although it was defiantly quieter and more relaxed we certainly didn’t find the main restaurant any trouble either unlike some reviewers had mentioned and the majority of Russian and German guests smiled and passed the utensils once they had finished with fine manners.

We tried all of the ala carte restaurants bar the Greek and Mediterranean (just not our kind of thing) All were very good but the ones we visited more than once due to being most impressed with them were the Asian and the Bedouin. One word of warning about the Bedouin was on the way out there was a very friendly man with a camel. He sat our youngest on the camel and was quite forceful in tone about us getting pictures and he would take them and also got the camel to stand up with maisy on it. Then he wouldn’t take no for an answer about me getting on for a photo. This was fine and we were pleased to get some photos of the camel he was very placid and friendly. Once we had taken photos my husband offered the guy $3 as a tip bearing in mind we had only spent 5mins with the guy and he got a bit shirty saying most people give him 100 to 200 Egyptian pounds for such a thing (wish I could make £10 to £20 for 5 mins work at home) hubby handled it well and the guy offered us the $3 back but we said no that’s fine but was a little awkward.

The pools were fab all looked after very well and throughout the complex all of the staff were very helpful and courteous

A little more of the animation team. The people who stick out the most were Mido, Patrick, Jamaica and another chap (cant remember his name but you can usually find him doing the craziest dance moves on the dance floor by the pergola bar) all of whom interacted with the girls fabulously they really did help “make” the holiday for the girls and are one of the main things the girls are still talking about. Patrick even went and got a galaxy bar each for my daughter and her friend because Maisy’s friend had said she fancied chocolate!! He was gone for ages to get it so can’t have been easy but the little girls were absolutely made up.

All in all it was an amazing holiday and as soon as possible we all want to return. I certainly think we would get even more from a repeat visit knowing what to expect and how things worked there. I really do recommend a holiday here especially with children. If you do have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

One final word of warning huby thought it would be ok to brush his teeth with tap water!! DO NOT do it he wasn’t ill, ill but had a bit of an upset stomach for a few days. After that he used the bottled water!!

Room Tip: if i had a couice id always choce block 35 for fmaily rooms and 10 for normal rooms
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank twinkle4155
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Well firstly I will start off with the hotel…

The pros are:
1) Very nice gardens and surrounds
2) Many pools to choose from and a lot of sunbeds available. (Although the pool was freezing, went in a man and came out a woman)
3) The a la carte restaurants are all amazing, you can go to each one as many times as you like as well.
4) The staff are very friendly (apart from the Egyptian Gok Wan in the bar who was upset if I didn’t wear black footwear?!?!?!)
5) Very child friendly, weren’t that many when we went but all the staff doted on the ones that were there.
6) Room was amazing, although they might have given us an upgrade! We had a kin size bed another bedroom with 2 single beds and a massive shower room/toilet.
7) Sounds silly but the safety deposit box in the room is electronic and you enter your own unique code to open it, also very spacious.

The cons are:
1) Checking in! In principle it is a great idea, however no one tells you what is going on! They take your passports off you and book everyone in at once who arrived with you, this took 50 – 60 minutes with no word from anyone what was happening. I suppose if you have been before then you will know what to expect, but we were first timers and it baffled us. If you tried finding out what was happening no one could tell you. A tip is that when the check in is happening you can go to the bar and get a drink, unlike other all-inclusive hotels I have stayed at you don’t get a wrist band. (I suppose you are near nothing)
2) The shops are a con, I know this is Egypt and they want you to haggle but if you are after cigarettes or alcohol get them from the Airport. Cigarettes are around $12 - $16 for 200, preferred currency is dollars.
3) For such a big hotel the main buffet selection is very poor, although if you have booked with a British travel agent then you should be able to go to the al cartes so not a problem really.

The a la carte restaurants
Bedouin – great food and sit on cushions in tents (don’t have to though)
Steakhouse – great food, however it is situated outside so it was very cold when we were there
Chinese – amazing food, probably best of the lot. Dessert of Fried Ice Cream is bizarre but worth a try.
Mediterranean – great food, one of our favourite
Mexican – very nice food but very small portions.
Italian – very nice food but very small portions.
Greek – probably the worst of the lot but still quite nice, bring a trolley round at the beginning this is your starter not an complimentary course.

Personal Preference:
1) This is just a warning and some people won’t be that bothered, might put some off. This was the first time we had gone to Egypt and the only alcoholic drinks they have in the hotel are lager, wine (red/white/rose), vodka, whisky, gin, brandy & dark rum. They have no Tia Maria, Amaretto, Malibu, Baileys etc. or even substitutes; this might not bother some people but I thought I would warn first timers to Egypt.

Now some notes about Egypt in general:

WEATHER – we went in November for some winter sun, wouldn’t bother! You can sunbathe between 10:30 – 16:00 at a push and the weather is on your side. Then it gets dark at 16:30ish, nearly straight away no dusk. Yes your guaranteed the sun but this is a desert so you also get a wind and it was only around 22 degrees when we went. Then something I forgot all about, deserts get very cold at night…and I mean cold! All the Russians and Germans had winter coats and jumpers on, no word of a lie I have been out in warmer nights in Oldham and Manchester. So the outside bar is a no no unless you want to take and wear a big coat.

AIRPORT – Hell on Earth (although a few people I know have been and said it was dead and it took them 10 minutes, not when I went. So I will give you some warning just in case you are unlucky) Where do I begin, getting your visa is a nightmare! Either go straight ahead when you enter and pay $15 or go to the banks and pay the $12 then after that your herded behind the visa section for passport control. Here there is no organisation and thankfully the British form a queue (or at least try) and they make you wait 45-50 minutes before they open passport control as a man will walk round offering “fast track” ignore at all cost as when we went they wanted $40 per person to fast track! After the realise no one is going to pay they open passport control and you get through quite quickish. (by now you will probably have been in the airport for an hour) Then there is another “passport control” where the guy stops only ladies!!! (Am confused) Then don’t let anyone at the airport touch your luggage as they won’t let go until you pay them, then when you get to the coach he will want paying to put the cases on the coach! (he wanted £5 per case, funnily he didn’t get it) Coming back is just as bad, but watch out in the duty free. The first duty free was okay but the one near the bar was bad as the bloke tried to overcharge me for the Rum I was buying, he scanned it and it was $18 and he wanted $25. When I told him it was $18 he tried to say it wasn’t so when I pointed out that the bottle and the screen said $18 he finally agreed! Then when I gave him $20 I had to ask for my change, normally I would have let him keep it but as seen as he was trying to rip me off as I was getting my change! In the airport they will try anything to get money out of you.

SUMMARY
Hotel was lovely and would go back when we have kids as very kid friendly and I bet the weather is lovely in high season as well. However if it is winter sun you are after pay the extra and go to the Caribbean. (Cuba was an extra £80 per person, although it was only for 7 night and not 11 like we stayed in Egypt would still recommend it over Egypt)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Boothy82
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We travelled to Sunrise Makadi for the 2nd time & were not disappointed - even better than last year with the addition of 2 new restaurants, El Paso (Mexican) & Sirene (Greek/fish). There has been a general improvement to the quality of food and, I suspect, hygiene as we did not hear of anyone suffering from bowel problems! The booking system is also much improved with touch screens enabling you to book up to 3 days ahead. We used the a la carte restaurants for every one of our 11 nights & thoroughly enjoyed them all. The staff, as always, were excellent and treated us as friends. Particular mentions to Ahmed and Khalid in the Pergola bar, plus Mohamed, Mohamed, Mohamed, Omran and Ayman in Around the World. As in my previous review, I suggest that you avoid the main buffet restaurant at all costs - lots of choice but a cacaphony of noise and a stampede of various Eastern Europeans who still haven't grasped the basic concepts of queuing and manners. The rooms and pool areas are clean and well maintained but could probably do with a bit of a freshen up - the hotel has been open for 7 years now. Makadi Bay is in a pretty isolated location - 3 other adjoining hotels then miles of desert, no shops etc. There are shops in the resort but you will pay about double the price of Hurghada which is a 30 min taxi ride and will cost you about £25 return so you need to plan your shopping to factor in the taxi costs.

Room Tip: For us, as a couple, we prefer blocks 14-18 which are near the main pool areas and beach.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BrookieEpsom_Surrey
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here again at the end of April/May, just for 1 week this time. We have visited the hotel a number of times before, but I can honestly say for us, this was the best time ever.

Although we had booked via Thomas Cook and transfers to the hotel were included, we decided to book a private transfer which enabled us to get to the hotel much quicker.
On arrival we knew what to expect, we handed in our passports etc to reception, and old friends who were in the area who remembered us from previous visits came to say hello and “welcome home” which is the hotel’s greeting to anyone who stays at the resort.

We were quickly shown to our room, which was in a central location overlooking gardens and the main pool. The room was clean, fresh and had recently been painted throughout. The room consisted of a very large king size bed, a flat screen TV, fridge, containing bottled water and soft drinks, dressing table, wardrobe with built in safe, 2 easy chairs and coffee table, and a large open sunny balcony. The bathroom had a very nice vanity unit, hairdryer, large magnifying make-up/shaving mirror, and a nice walk in shower.

After unpacking we went for our first evening meal at the Steakhouse. We were given excellent service throughout our meal by Islam Ibrahim, (Waiter). The menu was appetising; the steak was beautifully cooked and well presented. The subdued lighting by candles enhances the atmosphere and makes the steakhouse a very nice restaurant to dine in the warmer summer evenings.

We ate breakfast in both the Dalila/ATW and the Mexican restaurants. Both restaurants offer a variety of cereals, yogurts, fruit, eggs (cooked how you like them), cooked/cold meats, pastries, salads, and breads. The restaurants are a pleasure to eat in, and service at both was first class. The Dalila transforms to an A la-Carte restaurant in the evening where the ambiance of the restaurant is enhanced by the ultra violet, and candle lamp lighting, giving it a very cosy and intimate feel. Two people who stand out in here, are Ayman Elferayu, (Waiter) whose attentiveness to his customers is excellent, and Mr Mohamed Rabee (Manager), who is only too pleased to welcome you and offer you hospitality in “his” restaurants. The food is lovely, well presented, and the service again given was first class. The Mexican in the evening offers it’s a la-Carte menu which is very appetising and cooked to perfection by Chef Ahmed Salem Mansiur who is extremely passionate about the food he cooks. We were given exceptional service by Hetem (Assistant Manager) well supported by Mr Mahmoud- (Manager), and waiters such as Nesma, Mamoud and Ahmed who were all attentive and very hospitable.

Our days were spent by the Entitled Guests/Adults Only pool. Again service by Soudy Ahmed (Bar Captain), and Mohamed Abel Badeaa (Pool Attendant), was exceptional. Soudy only had to “catch your eye” and a drink was immediately brought to you. He remembered what guests liked to drink without having to be reminded, and had such a lovely pleasing attitude to his work. Mohammed works (like a busy bee!) cleaning, tidying, ensuring “his” pool area is kept immaculate – both are a credit to the hotel. Basam took over the bar duties when Soudy went on vacation and again he provided excellent service.

Other staff who made our holiday so special, and whose services were faultless included
Mr Salah Mahdy – Night Manager, who keeps the hotel running smoothly through the night. We had some lovely chats with him.

Mr Hasan Yilmaz – Food and Beverages Director – always out and about checking everything was up to standard in the bars and restaurants.

Mr Ayman Hassan – Resident Manager – who was always interested in feedback from guests.

Mr Hashim Lotfy – Front Office Manager – the most jolly Egyptian person I have ever met! and has such a fabulous rapport with guests.

Mr Abd El Rahman Attallah - Assistant Front Office Manager – who was always smiling and happy to oblige.

Barbora, Mohamed, and Joanna – (Guest Relations Centre staff) – whose customer service was extremely helpful.

Mohamed Hassan and the other guys at reception – always very efficient in dealing with queries.

Mamoud – (Assistant IT Manager) – who sorted our internet access.

Memo Houssen – (who works around the reception area) – dressed in traditional Egyptian dress and helps out the Bell boys.

Mustafa Hossan – (Pergola Bar Manager) – we have known him for a number of years now, since our first visit – always has a smile and is very courteous to us.

All the members of the Animation Team – in particular, Patrick, Mido Brown, Mido Oxx, and Jade - all very enthusiastic team members.

Nazmy Van Basten – (Bar Captain) at Family Pool 2 and main pool swim-up bar, who remembered without asking us what we liked to drink from a previous visit.

Hamid – (Room attendant) – who kept our room looking clean and tidy, and one day beautifully decorated our bed with hearts and flowers, which was a lovely surprise.

We have always found the members of staff; to be courteous, willing to help, and work very hard to help guests enjoy their holiday at this hotel. The greeting “Welcome Home” is a true one, and my husband and I honestly feel it is our second home.

We cannot wait to return again later this year.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple