“Dirty, dirty,dirty!!”

Nubian Island Hotel
Ranked #22 of 233 Hotels in Sharm El Sheikh
Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

Ohhhh God!!! Such a nice hotel with wonderful gardens and buildings!! But not clean!! Not at all!! The second day we were almost begging them to come and take the garbage out!! It was very crowded! Full of people that were swimming in the pool with their clothes!! Very disappointing!! The quality of the beverages and the food offered in all inclusive package were very very low!! Sorry !!! Choose something else!!!

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,144)

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

I've been here twice, once in 2008 and then this time round. The decor hasn't changed in years. I was really disappointed. I had a hut last time round and this time I had a ground floor apartment which wasn't very nice. I'd recommend the Jaz Mirabel Club instead.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Khristie P
Hesham F, Manager at Nubian Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2016

Dear KhristieP

Thank you for sharing your review on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us. We thank you sincerely for sharing your honest feedback.
Please could you confirm which room you stayed in during your vacation as the hotel has since 2008 been renovated.
All your comments will be passed to the high management for consideration in order to improve our services and facilities and to fulfill the needs of our guests.

Kind regards
Mr. Hesham

Reviewed 17 May 2016 via mobile

First impression were not the best, we were given bungalow rooms to start with which were infested with ants. After complaining on the second day we were moved to a more suitable room with a balcony.
Food in the hotel was lovely, I have got no complaints there. However after drinking cocktails with ice in them I became very ill due to the water used to make the ice.
The bar staff started out very friendly but because we didn't tip them straight away they began to ignore us and getting served at the bar became very difficult.
The most enjoyable part of the holiday was the quad bike experience.
I didn't have the best experience at this hotel but I think that may be because I was looking for more out of a holiday than Egypt can offer. Not only would I not return to this hotel but I wouldn't return to Egypt either, however if you want gorgeous weather with a quiet atmosphere and nice food then don't be put off by this review however it wasn't the hotel or holiday for myself.

Stayed: September 2015
Hesham F, General Manager at Nubian Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Dear Robdeen

Thank you for staying with us and for taking time to write the review.

The opinion of every customer is important for us and we keep always analyzing comments and suggestions of our guest to improve our services and facilities.
We would like to clarify that all ice in the hotel is prepared using only pre bottled water, as for the bar service again all comments have been passed to the departments heads and will be dealt with accordingly.
We value your comments, as it is only through the eyes of our guests that we can improve our service and guests experience.

Kind regards
Mr. Hesham

Reviewed 14 March 2016 via mobile

Came here to celebrate our anniversary & chose here as couldn't get into our first choice. As we had been to Sharm before staying at a more isolated hotel we had done most of the trips e.g. Sunset cruise & in that case free hotel run trips to medina & Soho Square we only availed ourselves of the Thompson trip to Sharm town centre - it was ok.

Positives:-

large & picturesque well kept grounds with meandering stream & little bridges leading to beach which had plenty of sun-beds & beach restaurant (the Italian al a cart in the evening). Bungalows dotted throughout (more later). However despite being lovely it was not wheel-chair friendly or in the heat very good for people with walking difficulties. Though we did find a more accessible short-cut.

Our bedroom (bungalow) was cleaned every day & bed linen & towels as requested

Main restaurant - large & plenty of choice at all meals with show cooking some evenings. Standard of food was passable but generally typical of a large canteen type facility. Waiters did greet you & bring water &/or other drinks after being seated - after that it was self-service

Visited the Italian once & had the steak which was lovely & rather a large portion so couldn't finish it. Staff attentive & pleasant & nice to be waited on

The entertainment girls were lovely & helpful as was the pool guy (towels) & the pool bar guy - we stuck with the quiet pool by hotel (there is a more lively one closer too beach)

We could leave hotel & wander the 'strip' with bars & shops - yes we did get pestered but that's part of the experience along with the battering

You could also put a sign on your umbrella at pool so you didn't get pestered by e.g. people trying to sell you trips out or join in activities - this would have been a negative if they didn't offer that facility

Negatives:-

We had booked into an hotel room but none available so 'up-graded' to a bungalow which was very convenient for the pool but which I personally hated - even though it had been fully refurbished. Also room prices list was in bungalow & I would have thought if an upgrade it would be more expensive than hotel room IT Wasn't. Questioning this got us nowhere.

We did experience some problems with lighting in bathing area & toilet & also a smell of sewage - this was addressed quickly however.

Because of the problems with mosquitos they did spray regularly with a powder which created a smoke which if you didn't shut door & windows & block any gaps in time it & ?? the mosquitos got into room. The smoke got on your chest & in your eyes - not nice. Understand they have to do it but would have been nice to have a warning of when they were going to spray. Despite mosquito bands - ankles & wrists & use of locally recommend repellent, covering legs etc in evening, I got a couple of bites (some people had many more).

As mosquitos seem to like me (??? Blood group) I always take extra precautions BUT one bite - which I don't think was from a mosquito - was rather nasty so I went to on-site (? for Nubian Village next door) chemist (as had run out of anti-histamines & cream). He advised I visit doctor stating it was infected (as a retired nurse I can state it wasn't - the price for which I therefore wasn't prepared to pay. Luckily another nurse who was going home came to my rescue - supplying enough antihistamines to last.

One of waiters in the hotel bar was rather rude to myself & apparently to other guests - he was therefore moved to the pool bar (with the nice one being moved to hotel bar - good for him as apparently more money by we missed him).

We didn't really bother with evening entertainment but what we heard from bungalow was pretty dire.

Apparently we could use facilities of the Village but the rules were unclear as to e.g. if we could eat there or drink there

I must admit I may be biased as I personally don't like Sharm - hubby loves it so we agree to disagree as to if we would go there again. It's not the people & the weather is great so I don't know what it is!

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eyeofspirit
Reviewed 9 December 2015

Stayed here in September 2015, staff were fantastic, so polite and courteous.
Food was amazing.
Beach was very clean and personal waiters were great!
10 out of 10 for everything!
Can't wait to go back again, totally loved it!

Room Tip: Bungalows are best