US$87
Travelocity
US$96
US$86
Travelocity
PJ Princess Regency(Vypin Island)
US$39
US$33
Aiswarya Hotel(Ernakulam)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$22
Agoda.com
Diana Heights Luxury Hotel(Nedumbassery)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$46
US$96
US$79
Agoda.com
All reviewsold palacedutch palacektdc hotelsgovt propertymarine viewmarine drivegolf viewbeer parlourmain buildingswimming pool ismadding crowdcottage roomsferry servicekochi harbourheritage buildingamazing locationboat ride
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 January 2018

9 years ago in 2009, my Uncle brought me to Bolgatty Palace on a sight seeing tour of Cochin and I was so impressed with it from the outside without visiting the rooms.

On 23rd Jan'18, as per my request as part of a 12 day tour of Kerala with another couple, my travel agent reluctantly booked me into this hotel. I should have gotten the hint when in November'17 he tried to discourage me. (This is going to be a long narrative.)

Check in was reasonably efficient and the reception area and preceding grounds were exactly what I had seen a long time ago. My let down started when we were accompanied to the room.

1) one room was being renovated on my floor and I was shocked that the foot trail of dust and dirt started the moment we left the reception area all the way to the wing we were staying and onto the second floor.

On entering the old fashioned room, I discovered the following:

2) wall behind the writing table which had the kettle was stained heavily with coffee drips all the way to the ground. I tried to clean it but guess what, no tissues in the room.

3) the room with central aircon was hot in January and while there was a separate air conditioner, there was no remote to turn it On.

4) tried calling the reception on the phone and it was a dead. I checked the wiring and it seemed intact. Went to my friends room and called reception to have the phone fixed. The technician came and after prolonged check said that it was a cable fault and no way it could be immediately fixed.

5) the bedside wall light was on its side so I straightened it only to have it tilt again.

6) As I could not make a call and there was no iron in the room, I walked into the hallway and got an old lady from housekeeping to bring an "iron box". She came a short while later without an ironing board and when I asked her about it, she said to put a towel on the table and iron!!

7) Turned on the iron and before it could get warmed up, the same housekeeping staff asked if I had finished using it. Needless to say she got a piece of my mind.

8) My wife used the iron in steam mode only to find it leaking profusely and her clothes were now wet. As electricity and water are a bad combination, we switched it off. I then marched down and insisted the Hotel Manager accompany me to note my observations. He came to the room and I showed him all the above plus the litter on the corridor. He had very little to say except that he would change our rooms. My friends room also had its issues.

9) We were now placed in a better room and thought it was an upgrade which frankly we were not looking for. On check out we were told that the room we changed to were in fact the Deluxe Rooms my agents had booked and the Golf View room which we were initially accorded were in fact lower priced (in short we were duped on check-in)

10) The new room were indeed better but please note further that there are no such
things as tissues in the room, no Do Not Disturb Sign or Clean my Room sign. The bath towels are all stained a light black. Water pressure is fine in the bathrooms but don't mind the flaky white ceiling.

11) The Internet is a joke or totally non existent. Multiple log ins lasting about 5 to 6 secs. When I spoke to the reception along with the other guests who were incessantly complaining, the answer was because we had reached our limit or that the server was down and the Technician would only be in after 10am!!

12) A feast of mosquitoes especially in the restaurant. A real health issue.

13) The restaurant staff are clueless and always searching for answers to ones queries. No Ala Carte menu was available for lunch and we just pick off the buffet table and they charge accordingly. Also don't mind the staff who wear discolored white shirts with slim ties and black pants which makes them a sight. Food and coffee dispensed was otherwise good, read as reasonable.

14) The grounds are well maintained but I would not venture to sit out for when you are in the bar lounge, one can see on the outside of the dirty window panes the multitude of mosquitoes.

My friends and I wanted to check out within 45 mins of checking in but our agent said that full payment had been made in November'17 so we were held "hostage"

In closing, as advised by my friends who are of Indian origin from the North, while my intention was noble to want to fulfill a 9 year dream, to always avoid any hotel that is run by the government as seen with the TDC word suffixed next to the state looking after the property. In this case it was a KTDC or Kerala Tourist Development Corporation (avoid TDC listed properties). the staff are totally ill trained, clueless and if you do not have high standards and willing to travel on such terms, then be forewarned.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Suresh M
Bolgatty I, Manager at Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Dear sir,
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have faced during your stay. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate departments to put in the best corrective measures in place. We assure you that we will definitely resolve the issues mentioned by you.
We once again regret the inconvenience and hope that you would give us another chance to serve you our best and to assure you of the action taken on your feedback.
Manager

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

This is a heritage hotel. Amazing location and a huge property. Hotel itself is very well maintained and the staff is also helpful. We stayed in a deluxe room. Hotel also arranges Kathakali and other dance performances at a decent rate. Then there is the ferry service available for hire from the resort. Food is also good, traditional Kerala cuisine. Broadway market is also nearby (3.5 km).
Tips:
1. They only have buffet (at lunch). No a-la-carte. However, you can select items from buffet and get separate servings. Also as it is an island, bit away from main city, no eateries nearby. So bit stuck if you don't like the day's menu.
2. Order Ola/uber. No taxi or auto outside.
3. Hotel presumes that one person will have tea and second person coffee. So only one pouch each. In case someone from Bolgatty reading this, please be more liberal. We had to use sign language to get it from the house cleaning ladies outside room.

Overall, loved our stay at this lovely heritage resort.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Bolgatty I, Front Office Manager at Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2018

Dear sir

Thank you for taking the time to review Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort. We are glad to know that you had a comfortable stay with us overall. We have noted your feedback for further improvement in our services. We look forward to welcome you back soon and assure you of our best services always.

Thanks and Regards

MANOJ KUMAR K
KTDC Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort

Reviewed 28 December 2017

I had a short stay in the place and enjoyed the place. Surrounded by backwaters, quiet ferries going past it is a place worth a visit.
Food has veg and non veg variations and is very good.
It is about an hour from Cochin International airport and road to the hotel is well maintained and good.e.
Martine drive of Cochin is hardly few minutes drive from there
Cochin is well located and from there are major tourist attractions of Gods own country Kerala can be easily accessed.

Room Tip: Rooms over look the back waters.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Bolgatty I, Front Office Manager at Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2017

Dear Sir,
Manoj Kumar K
Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort. Kochi

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

We accidentally found this place and it was amazing, like we found another paradise! The palace setting and the fact that they kept things as authentic as possible made the experience even better. Loved the aesthetics. Even tried the spa there which was great. Overall a wonderful brief experience. Hope to visit this place again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Bolgatty I, Front Office Manager at Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2017

Dear Sir / madam
Thank you for taking the time to review Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort, Kochi. We are glad to know that you had a comfortable stay with us overall. We look forward to welcome you back soon and assure you of our best services always.

Manoj Kumar K

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

We stayed at suite rooms of this heritage property.
Signs of being a govt property are clearly there.
Needs a serious upgrade to the resort and more professional team is required to maintain. Location and views where great and rooms where giant.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Bolgatty_Palace, General Manager at Bolgatty Palace & Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your mail. Certainly we will go for major renovation especially landscaping . We are looking for you to be with us with
more hospitality.