“Highlight of our trip”

Maria's South Indian Cooking Class
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

We have been saving to do a cooking course till the end of our trip and we have not been disappointed. Maria is very knowledgeable and you can tell this woman loves to cook Indian food. She explains everything perfectly and gives you all the different possibilities that you might cook at home. We learnt the basic skills you need to make a curry and from then on you are set for life, you just need to change the meats/veg and the world is your oyster. Her husband also came over for a chat and it was a lovely experience. The value for money is amazing as the food you eat at the end of one of the most delicious we've had on the trip. Could not recommend highly enough! Me and my Bf loved it, and we had some laughs too, it didn't feel like a school class but a great lesson!

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Learning to cook with Maria was undoubtedly a highlight of our 3 weeks in
Kerala. She is both so knowledgable and personable, and clearly has real integrity for the traditions of Indian cooking. We learned so much, and ate so well - the best meal we had in Fort Kochi! Our 90 minute class was excellent value, and the privilege of then sitting in Maria's kitchen and chatting with her and her husband, George, made the experience very special.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We booked an afternoon cooking class for our group of 4 people after reading the reviews on here and highly recommend it! Maria was very prompt in replying to us and flexible in letting us choose what we wanted to cook, we just had to message her the day before with what we had chosen so she could buy the ingredients.
When we arrived we were greeted warmly by Maria and her husband. We met another couple as well who were joining our lesson, the more the merrier!
Maria had already prepared all the vegetables which were laid out on the table ready for us to start cooking. She took us through all the spices and explained in great detail about each one, lots of detail which I had never thought about before.
The actual cooking of the food didn't take long and we were able to take turns making each dish. The final result was delicious and definitely enough for the 6 of us with some to spare!
We chose to make Mutter Paneer, Tawa Veg Stir Fry, Dal Fry, Tamarind Coconut Chutney and we paid a little extra on request to make Gulab James for dessert.
Maria allowed us to look through her recipe book at the end and has sent me some of the recipes I really wanted to make but didn't have time with the offer to email if I had any questions about the recipes.
Overall it was a great experience, with delicious food and a lovely teacher, and well worth the price! Thank you Maria!

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I could learn lots of basic Indian cuisine and about how to use spices. Also she gave us lots of useful tips with other ingredients. I can't wait to cook with those recipes again!

It was so warm and sweet time with Maria and her family :) Thanks a lot! xx from Japan

Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We booked a morning class with Maria as we were due to fly out that day. Not only did I learn about Southern Cuisine, I was so surprised with Maria's knowledge about foods being included in certain dishes due to their health benefits! She was so lovely and welcoming, and went out of her way to prep some foods beforehand due to our time constraint. We made some delicious vegetarian recipes and a chutney which was out of this world! She even gave me extra recipes on other foods that I loved and was apologetic that we didn't get to cook with fish as it wasn't fresh enough from the markets and didn't meet her standards (I love her passion for fresh local food). I highly recommend a cooking class with her!