“wouldnt hesitate to recommend - an amazing way to spend a bit of time”

Maria's South Indian Cooking Class
Reviewed 30 August 2017

We were a little stuck for something to do when docking in Cochin for 1 day on a cruise. I turned to trip advisor for help and spotted this which caught my attention straight away as my husband is a keen amateur chef and loves Indian food. Maria and her husband welcomed us into their home and had ingredients prepared for a 3 course meal which they showed us how to cook. We were allowed to participate in the cooking and then sat down to eat the produce of our labour. We were given a list of the ingredients and instructions for everything we had just cooked which we endeavored to replicate when we returned home but it wasnt quite the same.

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

We have been saving to do a cooking course till the end of our trip and we have not been disappointed. Maria is very knowledgeable and you can tell this woman loves to cook Indian food. She explains everything perfectly and gives you all the different possibilities that you might cook at home. We learnt the basic skills you need to make a curry and from then on you are set for life, you just need to change the meats/veg and the world is your oyster. Her husband also came over for a chat and it was a lovely experience. The value for money is amazing as the food you eat at the end of one of the most delicious we've had on the trip. Could not recommend highly enough! Me and my Bf loved it, and we had some laughs too, it didn't feel like a school class but a great lesson!

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Learning to cook with Maria was undoubtedly a highlight of our 3 weeks in
Kerala. She is both so knowledgable and personable, and clearly has real integrity for the traditions of Indian cooking. We learned so much, and ate so well - the best meal we had in Fort Kochi! Our 90 minute class was excellent value, and the privilege of then sitting in Maria's kitchen and chatting with her and her husband, George, made the experience very special.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

We booked an afternoon cooking class for our group of 4 people after reading the reviews on here and highly recommend it! Maria was very prompt in replying to us and flexible in letting us choose what we wanted to cook, we just had to message her the day before with what we had chosen so she could buy the ingredients.
When we arrived we were greeted warmly by Maria and her husband. We met another couple as well who were joining our lesson, the more the merrier!
Maria had already prepared all the vegetables which were laid out on the table ready for us to start cooking. She took us through all the spices and explained in great detail about each one, lots of detail which I had never thought about before.
The actual cooking of the food didn't take long and we were able to take turns making each dish. The final result was delicious and definitely enough for the 6 of us with some to spare!
We chose to make Mutter Paneer, Tawa Veg Stir Fry, Dal Fry, Tamarind Coconut Chutney and we paid a little extra on request to make Gulab James for dessert.
Maria allowed us to look through her recipe book at the end and has sent me some of the recipes I really wanted to make but didn't have time with the offer to email if I had any questions about the recipes.
Overall it was a great experience, with delicious food and a lovely teacher, and well worth the price! Thank you Maria!

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

My husband and I could learn lots of basic Indian cuisine and about how to use spices. Also she gave us lots of useful tips with other ingredients. I can't wait to cook with those recipes again!

It was so warm and sweet time with Maria and her family :) Thanks a lot! xx from Japan