I stayed in Ilbert Manor, Mussoorie with my family and friends for 3 nights/4 days during May 2017. I'll try to write a fair and honest review based on my experience in this hotel.
A quick summary:
* Location: 3/5
* View/surroundings: 3/5
* Rooms: 2/5
* Internet connectivity: 1/5
* Food: 3.5/5
* Service: 1/5
* Overall: 2/5 (avoid if you can)
The hotel is located at about 1+ kilometer away from Gandhi Chowk (Mall Road) in Mussoorie, which is a plus point. Moreover, the hotel does provide a shuttle service for pick and drop (which is a small car that can seat 3 adults and a child in addition to a driver). So the size of the "shuttle" makes it unviable to utilize it if you are in a larger group.
The view/surroundings are also decent but not great. A major eyesore is the Mussoorie Municipal Corporation's massive garbage dump which is clearly visible (and sometimes smellable) from the balconies.
Rooms are where this hotel loses its credibility completely. The level of cleanliness fails to cut the mark, mainly due to the wooden ceiling that continuously sheds small chips of wood and ash, that fall all over the floor and bed while you are awake or asleep. I checked this with other guests across multiple rooms and confirmed they too had this issue. Table fans that are wall mounted are your only help if you feel hot during your stay (which does happen when you land there in peak summers). Faucets in bathrooms are of decent quality but during my first night there a leaky faucet caused the entire toilet to be covered with water.
Don't depend on the internet connectivity here, since it is quite shaky and slow. Web pages sometimes take minutes to load, depending on the number of guests staying.
Food is decent. The restaurant offers buffet breakfast and dinner and in-room service. The food tasted well, didn't cause any health issues and had decent variety of north & south Indian and a couple of oriental dishes as well.
Service is again where the restaurant falters big time. The staff members are locals who are not trained for the hospitality industry. For instance, when the Internet connectivity was broken, I was forced to call the reception 4 times for them to even acknowledge the issue. And they never called me back even once, not even after they resolved the issue.
Overall, I am going for a rating of 2 out of 5 for this place. I am hoping that my review is sufficiently detailed for the hotel management to learn from and to improve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ilbert Manor is a 180 year old unique heritage boutique hotel nestled amidst oak trees and semi wild forest. The Manor has been painstakingly restored over a period of seven years and offers 14 well appointed and elegant rooms. Each guest room has been named to reflect the original history capturing the nostalgia of the pioneers who discovered the magical hills of Mussoorie. Rudyard Kipling, General Frederick Young and Jim Corbett are a few such names. The Ilbert Manor team focuses to offer personalized services to its guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Ilbert Manor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.