Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 30 June 2019

Situated on the cool highlands of Mundik, Wanagiri Eco Villas presents an amazing getaway featuring an outdoor swimming pool overlooking the surrounding lush greenery. There is also free parking for guests who drive.

It takes a 10-minute walk from the property to the perfect spot for the amazing views of Lake Buyan and Tamblingan. The famed Gitgit Twin Waterfalls is reachable within a 30-minute drive. Getting to Bali Denpasar International Airport will take around 2.5 hours by car.

The accommodation will provide you with a balcony and a terrace. Featuring a shower, private bathroom also comes with a bath and a bath or shower. You can enjoy mountain view and garden view from the room. Extras include a seating area.

At Wanagiri Eco Villas you will find a garden, a terrace and a snack bar. An array of activities can be enjoyed on site or in the surroundings, including hiking.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank SUMONGHOSH
Reviewed 2 June 2019 via mobile

I am writing this review a few weeks after my three-nights stay at the villas and I can still feel the bitterness! A mixed bag of feelings where the location & the dilapidated beauty of the villas still are the best part of it, if you like it cooler at night and are attracted by a certain location morbidity!
But then my disturbing experience with Papajero (obviously not his real name, a nickname?) surfaces. But all is good that ends well, so again a mixed bag of feelings.
After reading some reviews I decided to have a look and once there I decided to stay, Papajero offered me a special rate for three nights & full cash payment in advance which I accepted and paid. We then chatted some more and as usual in Bali, he offered to "accompany" me on a hike around Tamblingan Lake & Temples the following day, because fortunately for me he would be free for the day! Special price for cash in advance, which I accepted and paid.
He then offered to accompany me to an ATM later that day because he had to check if his payments from Booking & Airbnb had arrived.
All this set & agreed I spent the rest of the day hiking to a waterfall and in the evening Papajero took me to a first ATM where he could not access his account and I could not get any cash (happened before in Bali) upon arriving at a second ATM Papajero asked me if I could withdraw one million IDR (some 64€) for him, full refund the following day and offered me his ID as security & even addressed an interest rate on payback.
Initial hesitation! But I do generally trust people and I am ready to help, if I can. So I decided I could & would help. I asked Papajero to sign on the withdrawal receipt the agreed payback date - no ID or interest rate required from me!
So now within some ten hours from my arrival Papajero had received from me a total cash amount of about 2.250.000 IDR (some 140€) between accommodation, hike and loan. Depending in your travel budget: peanuts or serious money.
And you know already that, Papajero never "accompanied" me the hike ("You woke up too late, I have to prepare for my big ceremony now" against "I asked you to pick me up at 7:30AM but you came at 9:00AM") as well as you know already that it took me until my checkout & two unpleasant confrontations in between to receive the full payback.
So, if you like it cooler at night and can enjoy a morbid setting, go for it but keep your purse tightly close and maybe save your trust for trustworthy people.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank H8423RTmartat
Reviewed 31 May 2018 via mobile

The eco villas are situated on a beautiful piece of land with a marvelous view. On a clear day you can even see down to the northern beaches of the island. Right in front of the property to the north stands a beautiful tree, locally called "the spirit tree". A stunningly beautiful waterfall, the Banyumala Twin Waterfalls, is just 5km north down in the valley (this was the most beautiful waterfall and without doubt beats the 4 waterfalls near Munduk). It's quite secluded, but worth the trip. Locals set up a counter and pathway down to the waterfall, for 15k IDR you're good to go.
Renting a scooter right next to the eco villas also seems to be no problem (60k IDR/Day).

The villas themselves, unfortunately, are in a run-down shape. This itself is quite okay. However, the most disturbing part is the mouldy air. The beds and sheets appear somewhat damp. This led us to the decision to leave after one night (we had 4 nights planned). We did not try another one of the villas as we suspected the situation would not be better there. Perhaps we were unlucky with the one we had.

We really like the concept of establishing an ecologically conscious place for tourism. There is still a lot to work on however. For one, the villas need restoration to get rid of the mould. Either tear them down completely and build some simple wooden structures (nothing fancy required) or try to save as much of the original buildings.
Another point of improvement would be the concept of the place. Some more thought should be put into what this place should look like, how it should feel. Personally, I think that a very natural/ecological approach would fit perfectly. Cob houses? (There seems to be a very loamy ground). Straw bale houses? Permaculture approach?
Some outside consultation might come in handy, perhaps finding an investor as well.

The reason for this (at least attempted) constructive review and the four stars is the incredible friendly nature of the people running this place. One can feel however that struggle exists to keep this place and project afloat.

If you like to support this project and what it tries to establish it is definitely worth a little stay. The property and land is mesmerizing (unfortunately the mouldy stench from the villas kind of keeps your excitement floored).
Perhaps even bring some ideas and inspiration for the place.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2017

The hotel is a ghost hotel, no light sources at night, very dim lights inside villas, no one at reception and very badly taken care of, it's an unsafe rip-of. I had gone up one evening to the reception to ask about Papajero (the host) with whom I had organized pick up to go to certain locations I wanted to visit. He never showed up, and there was Hendra, a 20-year-old at the reception, and he harassed me, and turned off all the dim lights already around the villa I was staying in, so I was in complete darkness couldn't see anything, which led me to fear the worst, so I locked myself in my room and stayed up all night awake in case he decided to attack my room, which was very easy to do since there's no service or internet in case of emergency such as this or other, and no safety measures whatsoever. When I spoke to host via phone after I left the village for my safety, he tried to tell me that he didn't have an employee with this name, and all he had to say was that he's sorry. While as if I'd gotten attacked or badly injured I had no way of informing anyone, and if I had, the host was out of reach and failed to commit to my plans. That place is very dark at night you can't see where you're going, very scary and dangerous. Please take this into consideration for the safety of future travelers and don't go there if you're traveling alone, especially if a woman.
Let alone that all the villas have no service & no internet & no way of contacting anyone in case of emergency. The bathtub's wall is a window, not covered by curtains, meaning anyone on the outside could watch you. Very scary, dark and dangerous place. Inaccurate description, the place is falling to pieces...

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank MiaDai
Reviewed 2 July 2017

This accommodation is ideal for people looking for a different Indonesian experience. There are ten villas (six smaller ones and four family ones) that are open to guests, these villas sit on a long terraced garden and offer picaresque views of the surrounding landscape. You are around 600m above sea level, so there are beautiful views in all directions but the weather can get a little chilly on an evening.

The communal area and surrounding buildings are a little delapidated, but in some ways this just adds to the charm of the place - staying amongst abandoned building (perfect for the hopeless romantic). You can eat your breakfast (banana pancakes or vegetable omelette) on the balcony attached to the main building, which gets quite a lot of sun in the morning. The pond (perhaps was once a swimming pool) is home to many fish and even a lone duck. The manager and owner said we could prepare our own food if we wished, using vegetables from the garden and catching a fish from the pond (unfortunately we didn't end up taking this offer, but maybe for the foodies out there this would be a nice experience).

We spent four nights at the property and found the staff very helpful and attentive (we could have breakfast at any time & they also helped organise a scooter to rent for us). The wifi is very weak but again, this wasn't a place we came to hoping to use the internet. During our time at Wanagiri Eco Villas we were able to catch up with our travel diaries, play some cards and enjoy the nature and peace of the area. The stars on a night are incredible and there are many walks around the lakes or to the waterfalls to amuse you through the day (and even a hot bath to warm you up before bed).

I would recommend this place to people wanting a retreat from technology and tourism, people who are wanting to spend days scooting around and going on hikes in the area. If you are looking for top class luxury, spa treatments and strong wifi perhaps this isn't the place for you. (If, like us, you are heading to Ubud after your stay at wanagiri then there's a bus you can book at Sari Artha Homestay, Bedugul that leaves at 10am each morning and costs 75k pp - the bus then continues onto kuta. The manager can sort out a taxi drive to the bus stop for you).

Date of stay: July 2017