Pro Surf was recommended to me by a friend and I am so so glad that I followed her advice. I booked two weeks in Bali at Pro Surf School, Kuta, and I have made more progress in this last week than I have in the whole of this previous year. There are a number of reasons why it is so easy to make progress here.
1. The theory classes are fantastic because the teaching standards are so high. If you are smart and can see the benefits of taking the time to learn theory, these classes will enable you to become a more independent surfer in the long run. They teach you how to judge the conditions; wind, tide and swell and the instructors have great English and are really patient.
2. In the second part of the lesson you will go into the sea for an hour. It is incredible fun and whether you are beginner, intermediate or advanced, the coaches will offer specific next steps and explanations as to what needs to change. These teachers seem to love teaching and helping others to succeed. They are friendly and have a good laugh with you also.
3. As this place was custom-designed to teach surfing, they have incredible resources. The classrooms are light and spacious, so you can learn to turn and pop up on surf mats. They have a wide range of board sizes in hard and soft boards and they give really discerning and intelligent advice about which board to take out. There is also an instruction pool at the camp, where you can build core strength, and learn paddling and turtle rolls etc safely. You can also use the pool just for swimming when there is not a lesson. The school also gives you all the equipment and clothing you need for the lessons - so you don't need to bring a rash vest etc.
4. You can see and also buy photos of your surf experience - this is really helpful as the photos reveal what you can improve on in your technique.
5. Once you are at a good basic level - e.g. 3 lessons, you go on 2 hour surf trips (spending the whole 2 hours in the water.) These trips are to reef breaks, which are brilliant for learning to turn.
6. They have loads of staff so there are enough to offer lots of help in the water, and the management team are excellent and think carefully about the running of the school, matching staff to needs and personality types.
(Lastly, but not relating to progress - all the staff are wonderful and super friendly, the restaurant breakfasts are really delicious - try the breakfast bowls - and the accommodation is clean and comfortable. Tip: Remember to communicate really clearly if you want transport from the airport - or you can get a taxi - leave the airport and walk up the road a bit, ignoring the airport taxis - get a taxi for as little as 37,000 IDR but agree on the price at the start.)
GOOD LUCK with your surfing experience. You won't regret it.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.