All reviews told staff clean sheets and towels kuta art markets smaller pool discovery mall south kuta few minutes walk cable tv star hotel busy kuta
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Horribly dated hotel in desperate need of a refit
A maze of spiral staircases and ramps lead to the rooms
good luck if you are on the fourth floor as there is no lift.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed here in a "Deluxe Room" for 2 nights.
This is perhaps one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at. It was very old, not very clean, the light fixtures and shower were broken, etc.
The reason why I made this reservation was 4 days prior I visited the hotel and asked to be shown a deluxe room. They showed me a new-looking clean room with none of the above problems, so I made the booking. 4 days later when I checked in, they gave us the old broken down room we were forced to stay in. Luckily it was only for 2 nights.
We complained right after we checked in about the quality of the room and were told to talk to the hotel staff the following morning about getting another room. We did, and they said the hotel was full. They said they would fix the problems but of course they didn't.
When we checked out I showed photos of all the room problems to the staff, explaining that there was no possible way this pit could be described as a "Deluxe Room". But the clerk wouldn't even consider what I was saying and was quite rude. This was the only time during my 10-day stay in Bali that I felt hotel staff were being rude and uncooperative.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer rooms, which do exist, but since you can't trust the hotel staff to give you what you asked for you might as well forget it.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jam P
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We had a great stay at the Melasti and would definitely come back again. The staff were always friendly and helpful and remembered our names everytime we saw them.

The location of the hotel is a 5-10 minute walk (depending how lost you get) from Pantai Kuta and the main night clubs and bars on Jalan Legain. We never had the need to take a cab the whole time we were there. There are plenty of restaurants around the hotel, as well as shops and the Discovery Mall which is only a minute down the road. The hotel backs onto the beach however there is no 'direct access' so you will need to climb down a ladder behind the pool area to access the beach more quickly!The hotel is fairly quiet and we couldn't hear much of the surrounding noise when we went to bed which we really appreciated.

The rooms were very large and the beds were comfortable. The majority of the rooms have a big balcony to sit on and a lot of these overlook the pool. The rooms were cleaned daily and were tidy however the bathrooms are a bit old and could do with an upgrade. There are no safes in the room but the front desk does have safety deposit boxes which are free to hire.

The pool is a basic but it is clean and nice enough to cool off in and drinks can be ordered to the pool.

The Melasti is by no means a 'resort' but it is a nice place to relax for a few days and a good place to base yourself for exploring the surrounding area without having to stay right in the thick of Kuta. The Melasti provides everything that you need for a nice stay - good price, location, cleanliness and helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms first and choose one near the back pool.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank sezbo_25
Reviewed 3 December 2011

The best thing about the Melasti is it's locality. Right on the beach and only a short walk to the beach restaurants out the back, and markets directly out the front. 5-10 minute walk to Legian markets. Some parts need maintanence but hey, my air con played up and within 2 mins i had 3 guys there to fix it and never had another issue. 2 pools is handy during the busy times. did not have any problems with bringing in drinks for our mini bar from the mini mart, never checked my bags. Room was cleamed everyday witout a request. Very friendly staff!!!!

Room Tip: Ground floor by the 1st pool is ideal
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol E
A TripAdvisor Member
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed here in October 2011 with my mum and two of her friends. My mum and I were in room 317 which had a small verandah with table and chairs, a double bed, satellite TV, bathroom with shower in the bath, air con, tea and coffee making facilities and a sitting area. Quite a large room but the air con only went down to 18 degrees celicius so it could have been a bit cooler. There were about 6 TV channels with English programs including HBO, CNN and ABC. The shower was only OK as the shower head was quite low and not very powerful. The room was cleaned daily. Our room was right next to the larger pool which was great! The larger pool was half in shade 24/7 which meant that the water was still cool enough for it to be refreshing PLUS we didn't have to worry about sunscreen or rash vests. It was also big enough to do laps in (apporx. 25m).

A buffet breakfast was included with the price of our room. It unclided fresh fruit, tea, coffee and juices, small pastries, toast, corn flakes, eggs and various Indonesian and Western hot dishes (e.g. Nasi Goreng, chicken sausages, bacon, lasagne.)

The location was good as it was about a ten minute from Kuta and Poppies lane so you weren't in the thick of things however you were still close enough to go there for shopping and he restaurants. It was also close to the Disocery Centre and Matahari shopping centres. The only down side was that the only diect way to the beach from the hotel was down a ladder, otherwise you have to walk around the block through the markets. Also very close to money exchange, Waterbom park and restaurants.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and were very patient with me as I practiced my Indonesian.

Would definitely recommend this to a friend!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family