“A small taste of the "old Bali"”

Hotel Jati & Home Stay
Ranked #38 of 78 Hotels in Sanur
Reviewed 6 December 2016

I had to pay $25 for the airport transfer arranged by this hotel, which was a little hard to swallow, but my welcome was warm, my room acceptable, and my stay pleasantly peaceful in this pretty much old style hotel "complex". But let's start at the beginning: My driver had a pencil-drawn sign with my name on it which was barely readable, even close up, so it took (frustratingly and embarrassingly) ages to find him in the crowds, and I had eventually given up and was heading for the taxi stand when he finally found me! Arriving late at night at Jati, I would have loved a "welcome drink", but the Manager agreed to go find me a couple of cold cans of coke that I could pay him for "later". He also had to arrange for my driver to come back the next day for his payment as I had no rupiah on me, expecting the hotel to have put his cost on my bill. This hotel is old style with two "rooms" in each little building, all set in luscious tropical gardens ensuring almost total privacy, and no hint that the main road of Sanur was only a building away. Unfortunately, this also ensured that very few of the sea-breezes made their way into the complex, and had me wishing on numerous occasions that management had installed ceiling fans out on the verandah where they served my free breakfast each morning, and where I spent many evening hours as I am a smoker. The breakfasts, I have to say, were kinda limited in choice, (eggs or pancakes, and fresh fruit), and the portions very small, until I realised that they were amenable to me ordering two each of the coffees and fruit, and I did enjoy not having to "dress up" for it! The staff were beautiful, very friendly and helpful, but most of them had limited English, which was a problem on occasions. My room was a good size, the air-conditioning was ice cold, (and fixed promptly when it started leaking and making too much noise) and my bed was very comfy (and I am very hard to please on this one given that I have a very bad back and two artificial hips !) The bathroom, however was another matter! There was a bare free-standing hand-basin, with only a small shelf above it for toiletries, and no power point for the usual bathroom necessities of most people. Then there was the very large bath (a positive) that was very difficult to get into, (what with my hips and all), with a hand-held shower that could be hooked on the wall over the bath, but set at a height suitable only for children and midgets! The water pressure was abysmal throughout my stay, and cockroaches were frequent visitors (but I'm used to that - they come with the tropical territory don't they?) And talking of water, apart from one small bottle in my room on arrival, that was it! Oh, and when I re-read my booking confirmation when I got home, I realised that the "free toiletries" had not eventuated. A nice (and welcome) touch were the mosquito coils lit and placed outside each room at sunset. Then we get to the pool! What can I say? It's VERY small, with six sun-loungers, only four of which are able to catch the sun at different parts of the day, and all very crowded around this little pool. The one saving grace is that the pool is most definitely not child-friendly, and therefore doesn't often get crowded! There is a little "supermarket" out at the front of the hotel's alleyway carrying most of your holiday necessities, (and icecreams) and Hardy's is a reasonably short walk down the road to your left as you exit the alleyway. Hardy's is also where you will find your nearest ATMs - there is a veritable "bank" of them in a separate, air-conditioned building out the front of Hardy's, complete with their own Guard. The totally uncrowded beach is accessible down another alley almost opposite Jati's alley, perhaps a 5-10 minute walk depending on your ability because some of it is "cross country" and I was on a wheeled walker. Also, because it is "cross country", this would NOT be an evening stroll to take on your own!! After a week at the hotel, I discovered that they offered a laundry service, and this highlighted another of their shortfalls.......there is no "Welcome" documentation available in the rooms - well, not in mine anyway! They need a printed card of some sort, like their breakfast menus, offering the various services that they can provide, like the laundry, airport drop-off, tour bookings, etc. When the staff heard that I was planning a trip over to Lembongan, they offered to get me a "special deal", and came back with a price of 700K rupiah for the return trip. However,I had gotten a brochure from down the road offering the same trip at 600K, which resulted in my "special deal" being reduced to 500K !!! As an aside on the Lembongan booking, no-one mentioned that the price included hotel pick-ups AND drop-offs, on the mainland, AND over on the island! What else? There are plenty of small restaurants within walking distance of Jati but, and perhaps I am just hard to please, I wouldn't actually recommend any of them as being worth seeking out. However, my walking ability is limited, so perhaps there is better available to fitter walkers. I DID discover the Bimos this visit though - the small (dirty and rather battered) green vans that constantly travel the main Sanur tourist strip with their side doors open. You just wave them down, hop on (yes, it was a struggle with my walker), pay them 5,000 rupiah (50c), and get dropped off anywhere on the strip. I only made this discovery late in my trip, so never got the chance to find out how far they go through Sanur - next time!!!

Room Tip: If you are looking for TOTAL privacy, ask for room 5.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

Very welcoming staff. Room is of good size and has own veranda where breakfast is served to you. Pity about the bathroom (which seems to be a common comment) that really needs an overhaul. Handheld shower only over bath that saw better days a long time ago, no extractor fan. Quiet location which meant we could hear neighbour snoring!

But all that said, for what you pay ($40 per night inc breakfast) it is a good location, lovely pool, helpful staff and you don't (normally) spend that long in the bathroom :)

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2016

Had a great stay here last summer. Beautiful little houses, good breakfast and a nice little pool. Good location and nice staff. Worth the money and would definitely go back here. Just saw one mouse in our room, but this is normal in Indonesia

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

Nice quiet place with pool. We were there with our 15 month year old son so we wanted to be close to the beach. All the facilities needed for a good holiday are nearby. The beach is a small walk and when you exit the property plenty of restaurants nearby.

Only recommendation would be to replace shower head. Rest was all good.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Eric E
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

Loved the home stay - truly felt like you were in Indonesia rather than at a faceless hotel.
Loved the statues and koi karp fish ponds dotted around. Breakfast was banana pancakes or eggs.
Pool was clean and we had it mostly to ourselves.
Inside the villa the accommodation was less ornate and more basic- felt a little gloomy but we spent most of the time outside.
Staff were friendly- English was basic

Great location easy walking distance to beach (nice beach bar across the road and down a little dirt track), restaurants and shops.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family