“Exceptional!”
Review of Royal Kamuela

Royal Kamuela
Ranked #9 of 612 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed 22 December 2012

After having quite a negative experience at another property where I had been for a week, I got online and found Royal Kamuela, Ubud.

As soon as I walked in, it was like my holiday officially had begun.

Its right in the centre of ubud next to monkey forest, and just tucked down of monkey forrest road, its actually very peaceful and quite serene.

Greeted with warmth and smiles and a level of customer service I had been craving, I was given a cold face washer to refresh, and as soon as I put that to my face my worries all melted away.

I was promptly shown to my gorgeous villa, walking in, theres a big open plan living area with microwave, kettle, fridge, couch, dining table, a lovely private pool surrounded by greenery with two very comfortable deck chairs.

The bedroom is decadent, bed is like sleeping on clouds, huge plasma flat screen tv, and all the plugs are multi adapters, so no matter where you are from you can plug your laptop, phone, ipod etc to charge. The bedroom overlooks the pool and at night you get a bit or a treat when monkeys run long the fence line.

The bathroom is also quite opulent, huge double bath tub, double basins, and a shower with two shower heads. There is also entrance to the pool from the bath room.

Breakfast is included and the menu is quite extensive and you can choose what time you want it delivered to your villa, you arent restricted to specific times. Or alternatively you can eat breakfast in the restaurant if you so desire.

My words in no way do this place justice. I would also put more photos up, but TA is only allowing me to put up 3.

I have not left the villa since I arrived yesterday afternoon. Its just too relaxing and comfortable.

The only thing that could make this experience any better was if my partner was here to share this beautiful place.

If you are planning on venturing to make it to Ubud, definitely do yourself a favor and stay at Royal Kamuela, especially if you are coming with a special someone :)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank C P M

Reviewed 22 December 2012

I can't recommend this hotel enough. Staff were SO friendly and helpful. Received welcome drink and free 15 minute foot massage. Villa was spotless and spacious. Breakfast and complimentary afternoon tea served by our own butler, who also came each night to turn down the bed and close curtains etc. Complimentary private car was always available for travel and pick ups in Ubud area. My husband celebrated his birthday whilst there and without any organising by myself, the butlers presented him with a cake at breakfast on the morning of his birthday and sang happy birthday. Such a personal touch, they must have realised his birthday from his passport. The only negative I had was there was no water pressure in the shower, but have had this before in other hotels in Ubud. We will definitely be returning and look forward to seeing the smiling faces of the lovely Annie and her staff.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from another stay at the Royal K. We had a wonderful reception from Aniek, what a star she is. It was great to be back. The villas are the superb, the staff are wonderful and location hard to beat. This with mixed with the atmosphere of the Royal K makes it hard to equal. We travel to Bali twice per year for business and untill we found these villas we limited ourselves to only two nights stay but, now it is 4 nights. Before leaving we booked again for 4 nights during April and just waiting to come back.
I do not understand the earlier comments regarding insects etc in the villa, perhaps if these"guests" close the doors behind them they would not have a problem. We have stayed twice already and not once have we had insects in the villa. The staff keep it so clean that there is not a problem.
We enjoy our breakfast in the restaurant area, it is like a club room that has good landscaping and a view of the river. It feels really good to start your day.
I wish to thank all of the staff for their good service and looking after us so well.

Room Tip: All villas are of a high standard
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 December 2012

The Hotel: The hotel itself is very small, with just 12 villas, 1 coffee shop and 1 spa but that just adds to its charm. It is situated right at the heart of Ubud, just next to the monkey forest. The only thing is since the hotel is right next to the forest it has a huge problem with bugs and critters and pests even though the hotel does its best to contain the problem. There are small frogs all around the hotel and the lights attract lots of insects towards the evening There was some animal on the headboard of our bed which was making a lot of scratching and knocking noise, but our room was changed in just 5 mins on complaining so no hard feelings there. But if you are bothered by insects and critters avoid all hotels in the monkey forest region.

The Rooms: All the villas are very similar, each with a Living/Kitchen area, a bedroom, a bathroom and a private pool. The villa interiors are excellent which gives it a very modern look. Bathrooms are huge and the private pool is big enough to enjoy a swim. Just an advise do not leave the pool lights on in the evening as it will get full of insects making it impossible to use the pool until it is cleaned the next morning.

The Staff: Since there are just 12 villas the staff would give you personal attention an excellent service. They are very polite and always smiling.

Food: This is the only negative I could find with the hotel. They do not provide you with a buffet breakfast, but with preset breakfast plans which makes it extremely difficult for vegetarians like us. The coffee shop and the in room dining menu have very limited options. So you have to eat out and cannot depend on the hotel food for long periods of stay.

Others: Just make sure you arrange hotel transfers on your own as the hotel charges you almost double the normal rates for transfers.

Overall a great place to relax, have fun or to romance.

Room Tip: Choose any as all rooms are the same.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2012

The best feature is the private pool. Every villa gets its own private pool. There's nothing better than waking up in the morning and having a quick dip to get the day started.

I have heard that monkeys sometimes visit the villas, but none visited ours. Depending on how you like to interact with the local monkey population: that could be a good thing or a bad thing for you. I was happy to visit the monkeys in their habitat, a short walk down the road at the Monkey Forest and was glad they didn't visit us and attempt to ransack our place while we were asleep!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Royal Kamuela U, Manager at Royal Kamuela, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

The monkeys generally come to visit if food is left out. So for our guests who prefer not to have
visiting monkeys, we suggest bringing in the fruit platter and other enticing items. I'm glad you
enjoyed your stay.