All reviews royale club renovated room business trip bakso check in was a breeze nice hotel wake up call japanese food room card walking distance an upgrade modern design fried rice internet connection nice breakfast surabaya city non smoking
Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

Hotel with standards well below expectation especially for the calibre of this hotel. Room old and smelly. The towels, bathrobes and bed sheets were worn out, smelling of chemical and humidity... Unfortunately even the service was bad... slow and careless, from reception to housekeeping, from the waiters to the senior management when we complained. the Royal lounge was a terrible experience: totally abandoned! Same, poor food everyday, ugly atmosphere, depressing and sad. The bar at ground level worse then a joke! The worse possible you can find in Surabaya!!! They should close this hotel down and re start everything from the ground up. The worse hotel we ever stayed in Indonesia. Not recommended.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

This is kind of classic hotel in surabaya. The most famous in here are dimsum party hehe, for the buffet also delicious. Usually world cup thr also have schedule for nobar... Recommended if you want feel another experience

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2018

We didn't stay at this hotel, only had Ramadan Iftar and dinner at the restaurant so our rate for room-related items may not be relevant.

While we noticed that hotel forced their limit a little to meet the high demand of iftar, we also appreciate their effort in providing extra buffer table(s) so that guests are not crowded at one area. Only the dinning tables were bit cramped it was a bit difficult for us to walk in between tables without asking people moving their chair a little.

Food was good with variety and had "correct" taste of local food, served fresh and warm. Some food stalls were not refilled quickly enough but most were quickly refilled quite well despite the hungry guests.

Quite impressed with the prayer room. It was big, clean and provided several chairs knowing that elder people may need them. It would great if they didn't turn off the elevator to the ground floor so that older people wouldn't have to be suffering taking the stairs.

All in all, it worth the money.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2018 via mobile

old hotel renovated but not total. . the cleanliness of the rooms in the old building is very less. . . the air smells so uncomfortable. . old carpets with marks or stains seen. . the towels are old and not worth wearing. . food standard. . service enough. . the gym is good with complete equipment..old room is not recommended

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 17 May 2018

I stayed in this hotel during a recent weekend getaway to Surabaya.

I first want to note that all the staff I talked to were polite and professional, and as far as I could tell they genuinely wanted to make my stay a good one. However, there were several problems that seriously marred my experience.

ROOM

They gave me a 'delux' room which was mostly good, but there were a couple significant problems. I did like the bed, which was big, soft, and very comfortable. The comforter and the pillows were fine too; the comforter was nice and thick, and the pillows were very soft. There were a few other basic furnishings in the room such as a desk and nightstand which were fine. There was also a great view from the window. The wifi was fine.

My first big problem with the room was that there were very few outlets, and all of the outlets were connected to buttons which also controlled the room's lights. This meant that, to turn off the lights, I had to trigger the buttons, but doing so also shut off all the outlets in the room. Or in other words, it was impossible to turn off the lights but leave the outlets on so that I could charge my laptop or other electronic devices; the only way to kill the lights was also to kill all the outlets which could have charged my devices. I eventually managed to get around this by unplugging the lamps on the nightstand so that I could charge things in those outlets without turning the lights on, but this was extremely inconvenient.

The next problem was that the button controlling the entrance light didn't work. No matter how many times I pushed it, the entrance light would not turn off. This made it much harder to go to sleep at night.

Finally, the shower produced almost no water. While the bathtub nozzle worked fine, and I did enjoy a bath, I was not able to take a shower when I wanted one of those.

DINING

This hotel had multiple restaurants. I ate in three of them -- the main restaurant, the cafe, and the Chinese dumpling house on the second floor -- but they all had problems.

First, the restaurants were out of almost everything. Even items as prosaic as sodas were unavailable; I tried to order a Coke or Pepsi at least once a day, but most of the time was told there were none available and I would have to get another drink. One night when I wanted dessert I tried to order a grasshopper (a dessert cocktail) from the menu and was told they were out; I then tried to order a milkshake from the menu and was told that was out too; I next tried the gelato and learned that was out of stock as well. When I went to the dumpling restaurant I ordered a few things off the menu, and was told that the one I most wanted was out of stock. One time I just asked the staff in the main restaurant to tell me what options on the menu they actually could prepare, and learned that several more items were unavailable.

Second, I tried to order room service but--when I hit the 'room service' button on the room telephone--I was unable to get through. I don't know if the phone was broken or if it just required some other numbers to be dialed, but either way, I couldn't make it work.

And finally, I had issues with some of the food. I tried the pizza americana, for instance, but found the crust to be underdone and hard to bite off. As another example, the chocolate cake was bland. To be fair, other dishes were fine--all the dumplings I had in the Chinese restaurant tasted great; I also had good scrambled eggs and omelettes at the breakfasts--but some of the dishes in the main restaurant had problems.

SERVICE

My biggest problems had to do with the service.

On both Friday and Saturday night I told the staff I wanted to hire a car and driver for the next morning, and that I wanted wake-up calls at 8:30 so that I could leave by 10. On both days, I instead got a wake-up call at about 7:15. One was to confirm a minor detail of the trip that could have been clarified the previous night; the other time was just to confirm I still wanted to go on the trip. I was very annoyed to be woken more than an hour early two days in a row; in both cases I was unable to get back to sleep, and this was a huge bother. I wound up unplugging my phone Sunday night just to make sure it didn't happen for the third day in a row.

There were also issues with one of the trips that the hotel arranged. On Saturday I booked a trip to the port so that I could take the ferry to Madura and back again--this way I could see the famous Navy soldier statue on the coast. So I was taken to the port and the driver took my money and got me a ticket--but when I arrived in Madura, I found that I only had a one-way ticket! I had to get off the ferry and buy a second ticket to get back, and the whole time I was worried that the ferry would leave without me and strand me in Madura. Given that I was very clear as to wanting to buy a round-trip ticket, both to the hotel staff and the driver, I found this ridiculous.

Service was also quite slow. This was true both in the restaurants as well as for things like booking the trips, which took a lot longer than I would have anticipated.

SUMMARY

The staff seemed to try hard, there were nice elements to the room, and some of the food was good, but overall I can't support this hotel. Too many things went wrong and made my stay much less pleasant than it could have been.

Date of stay: May 2018