“phenominal food with Middle Eastern hospitality at its best”

The Old Man and the Sea
Ranked #9 of 113 Restaurants in Jaffa
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Ernest Hemingway's 1952 novel The Old Man and the Sea depicts the world of a poor Cuban fisherman who fights the wild sea. These elements of sea, fish and noble nature have also inspired the establishment of the well-known restaurant on Jaffa's Kedem Street - The Old Man and the Sea.
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Our first night in Tel Aviv and we took a cab to this delightful neighbourhood restaurant! 22 dishes of salads and veggies arrive before they say hello! We had the White Sea Corvina following those salads and it fed three people. The fish was fantastic. Our two servers were so sweet and attentive. Could not have asked for better!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,191)

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Even before we had a chance to look at the menu, our table was covered by over 15 plates of salads and other appies. All delicious and paired with soft home-made pita and the most amazing lemonade I've every had. It was a wide menu but seafood is a must.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Let me say right off that we were there on he first night of Passover when most other restaurants were closed, so I understand that the restaurant was especially busy. We felt very rushed, with the salads being set on our table the instant we sat down and the server wanting our food order (~30 seconds after being given menus) before our drink order. We were in and out in 30-45 minutes. This said, even if I assume this was not typical, the food was fair. The bountiful salads were all quite simple - pickled cabbage, tomatoes in vinaigrette, mushrooms in vinaigrette, parsley in vinaigrette. The fish was properly cooked but, again, very simple preparations. This was one of our last meals in a 9 days visit so I can say that you can do a lot better.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I've been here at the begining of March. The quantity of food received was big. I've loved all their little salads that they give you as appetizer. But the menu is not very big and you don't have a big variety. The prices are a little above the average but comparing with Israelian prices, they are ok.
The service on the other hand, it was below expectations. The waiters semed to be always tired and unhappy.
To summarize, it a good place to eat if you don't have big expectations.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Very nice salads and fresh bread with fresh and delicious fish dishes. Every thing is great and tasty where the service amazing as well
Very special place to be in if you are in Jafa. For me it was worth the drive from jerusalem to have my meal with the sunset