“Service was poor--Food ok”

Barcelona Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 699 Restaurants in Albany
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 August 2017

We ate here last year and it was an outstanding experience, so we decided to try it again this past Sunday night. It took way,way too long to even get seated--two different employees told us they would be right with us, but it took upwards of 5 minutes to get seated. The place wasn't that busy--just poorly staffed and poorly run. The service was so abysmal that it was hard to not want to get up and leave. My girlfriend ordered a drink which essentially had little to no alcohol in it, and it took a lot of doing for the Staff to comprehend what we were saying. The meal was okay, nothing spectacular. Probably would not go there again and really can't recommend. We heard elsewhere that someone else had the same experience as far as service is concerned. They need to have more people working if they expect to accommodate the Customers.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

We chose this place because it was close to our hotel (Hampton). Glad that we did. There was a minor glitch about getting our table, although we called ahead of time to say we were on our way. So we steped up to the bar and enjoyed a drink while we waited.
My friend had a steak and I had swordfish. Both were good.
I would definitely go back.

1  Thank UpupandawayMontreal
Reviewed 15 July 2017

This visit was a Father’s Day gathering for a group of nine and thank God we only brought two cars. Parking is an issue with only about 10 parking spaces on their lot. We did park on the Key Bank parking lot hoping we wouldn’t get towed, but we were told it was okay.

Place was full, as expected, but our reservation was honored immediately and we were seated on the main dining room. For a more private setting, there is an upstairs and even tables on an outside terrace for your “al fresco” experience. Inside, the arched windows with exposed brick, stucco-like walls and Spaniard motifs provide a warm mediterrenean environment. But, I didn’t come here to look at the walls. Let’s talk food.

Despite the protracted greeting by our server and a very slow service on her part, we eventually got drinks and appetizers.

Chorizo, bruschetta, fried calamari and mozzarella ala Caprese were are fresh and delicious.

Notable entrees included Seafood paella, eggplant parm, gambas al ajillo, filet, and seafood Alfredo. All fantastic. The paella could have used a little more saffron, but it was a hearty serving with plenty of meat essentials. – See attached pics.

By the way, good flan and chocolate cake too.

Kudos Chef cuz you got all thumbs up from this hard-to-satisfy group!

P.D. - Overall rating completely ignored the server - she must go.

Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

My niece told me about this restaurant so when I came to Troy we drove down. I had dinner. The food was so good I was in shock. The bread by itself is like a 10. I returned for lunch my last day in the area and had the pasta that came with crab, scallops and shrimp. I requested that the shrimp be omitted due to an allergy and the dish was perfectly prepared. This was probably one of the best meals I've ever had. Even the water is perfectly chilled. Simply excellent. My niece also raved about her salmon.

1  Thank leslawlie
Reviewed 28 June 2017 via mobile

We've been to Barcelona many times over the years and they never disappoint. The food was delicious and all 4of us enjoyed our dinner. We ordered Paella, Drunken Swordfish, Veal Daniel and Chicken Vodka Sauce.

Been to Barcelona Restaurant? Share your experiences!