“Little Gem in Albany”

Ranked #13 of 707 Restaurants in Albany
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Visited Barcelona Restaurant on a recommendation of our hotel clerk and are very glad we tried it.
It’s quite small, 13-14 tables & 6 bar seats. The menu is interesting with many items served with saffron rice.
My husband said his seafood Alfredo was the best he’s ever had. My chicken limone was excellent, very much like
chicken picatta but with more vegetables & mushrooms. Not inexpensive, but not terribly expensive.
Would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Great food, Spanish of course (with some Italian dishes as well) but superb first-rate wines, nice atmosphere, terrace if you enjoy that.

1  Thank David S
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

This place was just ok. Nice cozy atmosphere with fair service. Our server suggested a couple great wines, so I appreciated that. However the issue I had was with the seafood paella. I'm sure people who have never eaten paella would find it tasty, but I found it severely lacking. First of all, there was no Socarrat. Anyone who knows food will recognize that the most coveted part of a paella is the Socarrat--that crispy, flavorful layer of rice at the bottom of the pan. I also found the rice to be fairly bland and lacking the layers of flavor that this dish is known for. The paella at Barcelona had far too much liquid and absolutely no caramelization at the bottom. A restaurant that is named after a city in Spain and boasts their Mediterranean cuisine should have mastered the most essential element of a signature dish.

1  Thank Catherine G
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We first visited this restaurant a year ago and had a very nice dinner so to surprise my wife when staying over in Albany for the night I made sure we had a hotel close to this restaurant for another great meal . Even though it was fairly busy we were seated at. a nice table right away . Our server explained some of the choices we were not familiar with and ordered a glass of sangria to get in the mood for a Spanish dinner .
Service was very friendly and helpful .The appetizers came in good time and were delicious . Same goes for the entrees . Food taste was very good and nicely presented . I am sure we will return here next year on our rood trip to the East coast .

1  Thank Anthony F
Reviewed 20 August 2017

We ate here last year and it was an outstanding experience, so we decided to try it again this past Sunday night. It took way,way too long to even get seated--two different employees told us they would be right with us, but it took upwards of 5 minutes to get seated. The place wasn't that busy--just poorly staffed and poorly run. The service was so abysmal that it was hard to not want to get up and leave. My girlfriend ordered a drink which essentially had little to no alcohol in it, and it took a lot of doing for the Staff to comprehend what we were saying. The meal was okay, nothing spectacular. Probably would not go there again and really can't recommend. We heard elsewhere that someone else had the same experience as far as service is concerned. They need to have more people working if they expect to accommodate the Customers.

Been to Barcelona Restaurant? Share your experiences!