“I don't know what the big deal is honestly”
Review of Hwangnam Bread

Hwangnam Bread
Ranked #1 of 5 Bakeries in Gyeongju
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I have been to Gyeonju before for business purposes and I had a box of these given to me as part of the conference I was attending. I remember them being good, but nothing that I was going to go out of my way for.

Since I was now visiting town for tourism, my family members had looked this up and wanted to try a local delicacy. That's all fine and good but wow, these are expensive for what they are.

I grew up eating the Korean walnut cakes (hodo-gwaja) which are kind of similar with a cakey outside and a red beam filling (but still different). I don't know if it's because I'm used to those that I don't really find the hwangnam bang that big of a deal and I much prefer the taste of the walnut cakes. I get that it is a local thing and artisan handmade bread and a nice box, but still. The walnut cakes are also cheap so I found the price of these way high.

I suppose it's one of those things that you are there, so you buy it and try it. A lot of Koreans were there buying it too, so it's a thing. It is a nice shop and there are benches and free water if you want to taste your purchase right away. So I guess go for it if you like them or if this is going to be your special food that you buy in the city. But I'll happily eat my walnut cakes over this.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

Branded biscuits Gyeongju is named after the neighborhood in which they were first made in the distant 1939. Today, the third generation of the family Choi makes them. Not to say that the taste of the red beans is what I dreamed all life. However, to expand culinary knowledge that will be useful. They are sold in boxes at the company store. Expensive. They should be eaten immediately - in the morning they will be less convincing.

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

There is always a long queue outside so you might have to wait a little bit. The bread itself is delicious, and the red bean filling has a unique sweet flavour.

Reviewed 21 April 2017 via mobile

We tried 3 red bean bread from different shops and this one was the best for us!! The pastrie is good, not too sweet, not too heavy and perfect to eat with a coffee or a tea. We ate them for breakfast or as an afternoon snack and we bought more when leaving the city!

Reviewed 17 April 2017

We pass-by a big shop with many staff making the red bean bread. At first, we have hesitation to buy because the minimum quantity per box is 20 pieces. As we were very hungry after a full day visit, so we bought a box and taste it immediately. It was very good taste, all red bean paste but not very sweet. We are glad we had bought one and will definitely recommend this shop to others.