“Good value, great stop”

Price range: US$4 - US$40
Cuisines: Indian, Sri Lankan
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The "Golden Grill", stands nestled within Sri Lanka's first National Holiday Resort in Bentota overlooking the scenic beauty of a small lake, has a history since 1970. A variety of cuisine is available to tantalize your taste buds at this unique restaurant. Dishes from around the world including traditional Sri Lankan specialties are served with a touch of class at an affordable price. The courteous staff and imaginative decor add to its ambience promising guests an unforgettable experience.
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Stopped by on drive for a quick lunch. Suggested by driver and was pleasantly surprised- appears to be a former National Holiday Resort so large and well-sited on a pond with nice view. Briyani was good, while minute steak and calamari mains came with big portions of veg and fries and pretty tasty. Attentive waiters (only three tables occupied late lunch) but suspect they handle tour buses so may not always be so quiet.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

I remember visiting the Golden Grill Restaurant at Bentota, at the National Holiday Resorts few years back. At that time it was very exclusive, posh, high class and expensive Restaurant.

When I visited Golden Grill last week, it had the same old charm. It still looks great, but lacks the exclusive and classy quality. This is to be expected. Bentota is now transformed into a dynamic tourist destination. The National Holiday Resort which was one of the first resorts started by the Sri Lanka Tourist Board has hardly changed. All the main Hotels in the Resort are locked and entry is restricted. The free movement from one hotel to another was fun. I remember about 40 years back when I stayed in one hotel we just walked over to another for tea. The lively shopping arcade is eerie.

With this back ground I was pleased that the quality of food, the generous portions and the service was exceptional at the Grill. The prices were on the high side. I was sorry to see that there were very few customers for lunch.

The waiter who served me has been working for 35 years and admitted that the clientele has declined. He attributes this to the opening of the Southern Express way and the shift of tourism to other areas. It is a pity that the resort that has fabulous potential is allowed to deteriorate. My wife and I visited this resort with fond memories, as we spent our Honey moon at this resort four decades ago.

We were both saddened by what we saw. The only consolation is that The Golden Grill is still maintaining standards.

Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

Good value place set by a lake. We all enjoyed. Share one of the mama curry sets which has a great mix to share with another - they do mixed meat or seafood. Plenty to eat and they will cater for the heat you like (we added some extra chilli but we all divine). We preferred to Amal villa restaurant. Anchor beer, local, very good. Get a tuk tuk and they will wait for you for about £2!
6 adults and 5 kids costs £100 all in - great value

Great place and very friendly

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Went for lunch today. Doesn't look much from outside but inside was quite grand. Lovely table overlooking the lake. Serves alcohol which can be s rarity in Sri Lanka (though most that don't will let you bring your own). My husband had biryani prawns which were delicious. I had half fish of the day. Not cheap by Sri Lankan standards but certainly for special occasion would be lovely and you can even but wine/prosecco.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely little restaurant overlooking the river. The service was fantastic and the food was really good! We would recommend the Sri Lankan rice and curry.