“everything well thought out”
Review of Amari Galle

Amari Galle
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed 14 December 2017

arrived a team swooped on the taxi and whisked our luggage away then we were taken to a lounge, our passports were requested and taken off to reception then cold towels and fresh juices arrived which was just the PERFECT THING AFTER A NIGHT OF TRAVEL and soon the greeter returned with our passports and a folder where we were just asked to sign and that was it all checked in whilst relaxing, well thought out, well executed and everything has been like this for the first two days so looking forward to the next 4

Room Tip: all rooms ocean view top floor was great
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 December 2017

We stayed at the Amari Galle in early December. The hotel appeared to have a low occupancy as, at most we counted perhaps 20 other guests during our stay. We were on the 8th floor ( of 9). The room was spacious and modern with a comfortable bed and modern bathroom. The finishes on the paintwork looked uneven to us and the walkways between the 3 buildings that comprise the hotel were bare concrete with paint applied haphazardly in some places giving an unfinished look. The food was average and service slow - even though there were few guests. The swimming pool and garden layout overlooking the beach was excellent with many chairs and a beach bar. This is a relatively expensive hotel and there is limited competition at this level.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

We have just spent 3 nights in the Amari Galle hotel. We were a little disappointed having come from a brand new resort in Tangalle which was perfection (I'll go into more detail further down in this review). I guess we were expecting the same level of everything given that the Amari is apparently brand new and it costs more to stay in.

What I should point out straight away is that the Amari is probably the only big hotel of that sort in the Galle area. The alternative is to stay in small, boutique hotels in Ginthota (where the Amari is), the boutique hotels in Galle Forte or in boutique beachside villas/rooms in the nearby town of Unawatana. If you are looking for a big poolside area and the amenities of a big hotel, then this is probably going to be the best option.

The decor in general, is nice, bright and modern. Arrival is a good experience - the staff at the reception are very welcoming, helpful and attentive. That seems like a common theme across Sri Lanka itself.

Upon entering the room, I must admit, we were impressed. We had a grande deluxe ocean view king room (we paid extra for it). It was a huge room, very open, extremely bright and with an enormous, nicely furnished balcony. The view was great - we could see the beach and the entire pool area. Overall the room was comfortable.

However, once we started to have a closer look, we were quite shocked at the state of the place, not just the room, the entire hotel and building. It is supposedly just a few months old but they must have just taken over and older property. Its quite dusty, there are many parts of the building/ room that appear to already be falling apart, there are many decorations that are broken across the place, and there was a big patch of mould in the corner of our shower. I actually wore flipflops to shower because I was grossed out (I'm pretty fussy and can't stand the sight of mould). There were random paint stains on our windows and there were several areas of the room where the paint was coming off. The facilities just didn't seem clean and new in the room. I get the feeling they have used cheap materials and labour to do up this place. The toiletries they provide are a reflection of this - really poor quality soaps, shampoo and lotion, unlike everywhere else in this price range. They also don't give you individual toiletries, it's more like what you would get at a gym. For a big restaurant chain, I expected higher standards.

The Anantara Peace Haven, where we stayed prior to coming to the Amari was a truly amazing and beautiful experience and what I would expect from a 5 star hotel. It was actually cheaper than the Amari, and included dinner (with 5 star quality food) although it is located in Tangalle, 1.5 hours from Galle. It confirms that there are good, proper, 5 star hotels in Sri Lanka!

The £180 a night we paid at Amari only included bed & breakfast, which is very expensive even compared to the other hotels in Sri Lanka. The food at the restaurant, which I wouldn't recommend unless you can't be bothered to go anywhere else, is very average. Breakfast is limited, you don't even get fresh juice. Again, for the price they are charging, it seems very below expectations. Its £20 per person for the dinner buffet. There isn't much variety and it's oily food that I wouldn't say meets even 4 star standards.

Still, compared to the alternatives in the area, there are a lot of positives to staying at this hotel.

On the plus side, there was always plenty of bottled water in the room - every morning and evening someone added a couple of bottles no matter how many we already had! It was good as we never ran out.

Sachil and Chamesh (and a few others whose names I didn't catch) at reception were always very warm, friendly and super helpful. We also took the hotel taxi (Russel was our driver) to go to a nearby beach and he was lovely and informative.

The Breeze Spa is well worth a visit. It's about £35 for an hour long, full body massage and you can go as a couple. It's super clean and a really good experience. Lashini and her colleague (whose name I missed) were brilliant. We had the invigorate massage (basically a sports massage with relaxing elements).

The restaurant is nicely decorated and appears clean and tidy. The pool area is huge and the sun beds are plentiful and comfortable. Food by the pool is pretty good, so are the drinks.

This place also has a rooftop bar which opens in the evenings. It's probably one of the best things about this hotel. It's really lovely up there, you get amazing views and good drink options. The vibe is good. Once the tourist season picks up, I imagine the Amari could be a buzzing place, but I still think it's overpriced for the quality you get there.

The location is good. It's not actually IN Galle but is just outside. A 10 min ride in a tuktuk is all it took to get to Galle Forte, which was about 500 rupees each way (a couple of quid). The tuktuks are plentiful and we never struggled to get one to where we wanted to go.

Note that Galle and really the entire country is not very busy wth tourists this time of year. It should get busier towards January I expect.

It's worth going to Galle Forte for lunch/dinner and having a wonder into the cute shops. The place reminds me of Zanzibar. You won't see many people in any of the restaurants this time of year but don't let that bother you! If you fancy an alcoholic drink, you will struggle to find Access in most places. Google bars in the area and you may come across a few. Sugar is a lovely one in the Old Dutch Hospital.

Unawatana is also worth checking out. Wijaya Beach is a good spot to start the explorations. There are beach side restaurants and if you keep walking along the beach, you will find some really gorgeous spots where the beach is practically all yours. This town is much more lively, day and night, we were told. It's about 1500 rupees each way in a taxi, 25 mins from Amari.

In general, I would class this as a European 3 star hotel. As far as hotels go, it doesn't meet the standards I would expect based on the price you pay to stay here. I would still recommend it for people who want a big hotel stay. If you want that type of comfort, it might be the best option in the town. My review is critical based on the price and our expectations having come from a far better hotel in a completely different area.

In retrospect, we might have tried out one of the cheaper alternatives in Galle Forte or a villa/cabana in Unawatana as at least then you get better value for money. It is difficult to say what the better option is though without having experienced both.

Hopefully this has been a helpful review for others.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
8  Thank jascortool
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

On the whole i have to say I'm extremely happy with my stay. The room was beautiful, the view was amazing, the staff friendly and helpful (some of the best hotel staff I've ever encountered really), the food was good quality and the pool and beach were both lovely (some people said the water at the beach was too rough, but it was a sparklingly clean private cove - so a big plus there).

There was only one downside. And i hate to say it but it was a pretty big one. There was piped in music by the pool side and pretty much the whole time it was playing non stop dance beats. Not what you want when you're trying to relax. And on our second day there was a stage set up for a dance party where they started blasting loud, heavy bass, thump thump thump music from early in the afternoon. Mind you, no one was even at the dance stage until about dinner time but they kept blasting the music. Sitting by the pool was unbearable and even up in our room on the 7th floor the music rattled the glass. There was no escaping it. It was still blasting when i went to bed about 10 pm and i had to put a pillow over my head to sleep. The staff had offered to give me a different room but that wouldn't have helped as the speakers were aimed in such a way that the entire hotel was subjected to the noise. The manager apologised and comped us dinner which was a nice gesture, but as i told him, the reason we chose this place was to have a quiet relaxing time by the beach - not to be at party central. Adding insult to injury, i looked out at the party at its 'peak' about 9 pm and less than a dozen people seemed to be there! For this the rest of the guests had to suffer. To his credit, the manager acknowledged that this was a bad decision.

As i said, there was so much positive about the Amari - it's just a shame our experience was marred like this. But if the hotel would commit to learning from this mistake, I'd recommend it without hesitation.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Rick B
Reviewed 11 December 2017 via mobile

Really not a fan of this hotel despite the reviews on tripadvisor being relatively good.

We are in Sri Lanka for our honeymoon and came here after staying at the amazing Anantara Peace Haven in Tangelle.

The first thing we learnt was this is not a “new” hotel - might be advertised as new but is an old building, mould in corner of shower, furniture chipped, I would guess an old hotel reopened to an alright standard.

We paid £178 per night for upgraded room and breakfast. It was certainly not worth this price. The room we had was the Grand deluxe ocean view king - view absolutely amazing of the sea and pool area, also a massive balcony. As I stated above room wasn’t great - the wife wore flip flops the whole time in room, including in the shower!

On the balcony in our room is what looks like it could be a hot tub or jacuzzi but didn’t have any water in it and was filthy. Not sure what it was doing there but looked horrible!

Customer service - front desk very good. Very helpful. Pool bar area, very slow despite the hotel being empty.

Buffet - disappointing that the majority of the hot food in the buffet was cold. Variety of food was ok.

Location - was fine - 10 mins by tuk tuk to Galle forte which cost about £2 each way.

I would say this is a 3 star hotel at best