My family has a fondness of beach resorts and we've been to a variety internationally. Coming from a town and having a holiday home where Blue Flag beaches are a dime a dozen, our standards are high. But, in defense of what may seem snobbish - we paid a small fortune to stay here for four nights in their premium suite.
1. The renowned staircase is lovely
2. Beautiful setting
3. Good spa therapists and beautifully designed spa
4. Brilliant Christmas Eve dinner and good daily buffets
5. Breathtaking views
6. Nice selection of pools
7. Overall good staff (if you stick to the process they know) and warm welcome and farewell.
8. Lovely afternoon tea at Nihal's.
9. Great Ayurvedic spa product shop downstairs
Summary of negative:
1. There wasn't hot water the first day we arrived and we took a cold bath. We did endure 3 hours of back and forth with staff to no avail. It was fixed the next day. The rain had apparently affected the solar system. I only found this out two days later and frankly they could've apologized and offered us the use of another room's shower so we could have a hot one.
2. The spa also failed to communicate the next day and made us wait for ages for our appounent without coming to us and informing us.
3. I wouldn't recommend Nihal's for breakfast - burnt brioche, wrong orders and cold coffee... Nothing like the flyers in the lifts.
4. It is a bit far from Galle Old Town. You have to take a tuk-tuk and you're basically stuck at the hotel otherwise.
There were a few other issues too but the above as well as the minor issues were brought to the attention of the management staff. After numerous complaints to the front office and then an email to the hotel, the GM came to see me. The hotel truly did try to make it up to us in their way by having a staff member assist us, arranging spa treatments and even two free dinners.
In the end though, it's not about the money. We could have paid for our own spa treatments and dinners. In the end it's about the experience and unfortunately half of ours was marred.
I'm not sure if I'd go back to this hotel or even Galle. It's okay overall if you take it as it is and don't have too high expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An iconic landmark that stands along the Galle coastline, Jetwing Lighthouse blends minimalist elegance with splashes of sophistication set amidst breathtaking ocean views. Designed by famed architect Geoffrey Bawa, this luxurious hotel lets you indulge in the finer things in life as you travel back in time and explore Sri Lanka's colonial past. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Jetwing Lighthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jetwing Lighthouse Galle
- Jetwing Lighthouse Hotel Galle
- Lighthouse Spa