“Oasis in Galle”
Review of Templeberg Villa

Templeberg Villa
Ranked #10 of 152 Galle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 April 2015

This was my second stay at Templeberg and was just as good as the first. I love the location.... Set away from the craziness of Unawatuna and the airless Fort accommodation, the villa is perched on a hill in lush gardens and is a peaceful retreat. The staff are attentive, the food is great and the rooms are spacious and cool. I'll be back again!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2015

I have returned to this amazing place because I love it so much.

I am an ex-pat that now lives in Colombo and have travelled down to escape the hustle and bustle of the big smoke.

I cannot recommend this place enough. The staff including the owner are absolutely delightful. I feel so looked after. The food is delicious and my room is so comfortable. This time I treated myself to a cookery class with Trixy, the resident cook and also had a massage from lovely Achala both are worth coming back for-great! great!

I especially like how the owners have decorated Tempelberg, the place is full of interesting artifacts and and antiques which really complement the flora and fauna that surrounds this beautiful place.

I will be back again!!

Room Tip: Bungalow great for family and close friends. Saffron great for couples.
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2015

My boyfriend and I spent three nights at Templeberg Villa during our nine-night trip to Sri Lanka. What a fantastic time we had!

Though Templeberg is located about 10 minutes outside Galle proper, you won't miss the city one bit. The property is lush and green and beautifully landscaped. From the moment our tuk-tuk arrived, we were greeted by a friendly and attentive staff. Karen is a fantastic host—so funny and interesting and a great conversationalist. (Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to meet her son, Christopher, but he was awesome over email. Very helpful and always quick to reply.)

We stayed in the Plantation room at the front of the house, which was exquisite: smartly decorated, with high ceilings and luxurious touches at every turn. We appreciated the armloads of fluffy white towels, the fancy toiletries, the fresh drinking water, etc. The bed was beyond comfortable, and there is an amazing sofa-like window seat that looks over the front yard; why bother exploring Galle when you can laze away your days reading there? There is no A/C, which may be challenging for some folks in hotter months. We just ran both ceiling fans at full-blast and used the mosquito net at night.

FYI, there is a small dipping pool at the front of the property, which we opted not to use. The new infinity pool is still under construction, but you can tell it'll be dynamite when it's done! The interior of the property has lots of lounging and picnicking options across the green grass, or you can hang out in one of several well-decorated sitting rooms/libraries/terraces. We loved the lunches and dinners we ate in, but the complimentary breakfasts could be a little more varied (I think we had fruit, curd with treacle, and pancakes two out of three days.)

Finally, two special shout-outs. (1) Trixie, Templeberg's amazing cook. What a cool lady! We loved her Sri Lankan cooking so much, we asked to take a cooking lesson with her. The whole thing took about three hours and we made seven or eight curries plus a huge vat of rice. We took notes throughout and I'm pretty sure we could duplicate the dishes at home now.

And (2) Sandrew, Karen's cool-as-a-cucumber, right-hand manager. He was always ready to help us with anything we needed, but he went above and beyond when I got stung by a jellyfish at Unawatuna Beach. (Seriously—watch out!) Karen sent the tuk-tuk driver to pick us up as soon as we called, and when we got back to the property, Sandrew took one look at my leg, jumped in the tuk-tuk, and rushed me to a local ER. It turned out I was fine—just in a bit of pain! But I appreciated his quick thinking and him going the extra mile to make sure I was okay. He even picked up my new prescriptions from the ER at a local pharmacy to save me the hassle.

Bravo all around to Karen, Christopher, Trixie, Sandrew, and the rest of the staff. You made our stay an exceptional one!

Room Tip: Go with the Plantation Room - it's the biggest and best!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2015

Mixed experiences at this hilltop villa with lovely, slightly remote location and great architecture. We found the booking experience chaotic, perhaps it is better via a booking site? The cook Trixie makes wonderful food, and is recommended. The green garden space is relaxing, and staff helpful. We were in the cottage, and on several humid nights found it difficult to sleep (AC or more fans needed). The shared bathroom and small dressing room could do with some love, an extra sink to share between the two rooms would be helpful. Great recommendations for day trips from manager Katrin, and gorgeous breakfasts too. Other tips: other places/restaurants a 15-20 min ride away; check in advance re when meals are available on site, and when you need to book; the plunge pool is small but a bigger one is one is planned; mosquito repellant recommended. The cottage had a great hammock and sofa outside. The hotel's tuktuk service is on hand as you can't get anywhere any other way unless you have your own car. Cost was 500 rupees to Galle one way.

Room Tip: There's a stunning room at the front of the villa
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank happytraveller577
Villa T, Manager at Templeberg Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2015

Dear previous guest,

Firstly, I am sorry to read of your experience.

I acknowledge our attention to detail and back and forth emailing to finalise your arrangements may have prolonged the booking process. However, this was necessary to arrange a deposit during the Easter high season, arrange car transfers from Galle to Colombo, room configurations and ultimately to extend your stay. I am not sure arranging all of this through a third party booking agent would have made a difference but am happy to continuously improve our processes.

We are an historic Dutch Colonial Villa which dates over 150 years. We are located 10 minutes by tuk tuk from Galle City, the Fort and Unawatuna. As you will see from previous reviews the majority of our guests like to have these places accessible to them but have somewhere to escape to away from the hustle and bustle of built up the city and Unawatuna. As you point out getting to and from the areas is never a problem because we have tuk tuk transportation available on site.

Our home stay has to balance it's historical significance with modern amenities. We take our ecological responsibilities seriously. Being on the hill in 5 acres of tropical jungle there is often cooling breezes and shade which helps to maintain an even temperature in a jungle setting.

All of our rooms provide overhead ceiling fans and floor fans as well at any time we provide portable air cooling units. Had you said so at the time we naturally would have arranged for additional cooling units and fans to ensure your added comfort during seasonably hot weather - April being the hottest month to travel to in Sri Lanka.

We know we offer great value for money and are proud of our service, food and surroundings.

We are thrilled that you extended your stay and most nights you chose to stay at the villa and eat your meals and enjoy the wonderful cooking by Trixie. It means a lot to us that the staff were able to provide excellent customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Templeberg Villa on your next stay where it will be possible to also enjoy our 25 metre jungle edge infinity pool as well as other additions.

Kind regards

Sandrew

Reviewed 5 April 2015

We enjoyed our stay in this beautiful house which is situated outside Galle and we found the location to be an absolute advantage. It was a relief to leave the town itself to return to the villa and the road there is really no problem at all. We stayed in the Saffron Room at the front of the house which was very comfortable and spacious.
We enjoyed the breakfasts with a delicious plate of fruit each morning and coffee served to us when the early staff arrived.
Karin and the staff were very nice and we were able to relax in the tranquility of this lovely property.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple