Ujamaa Hostel
Impala Hotel(Arusha)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnerfree laundryclean and safe placefantastic thingschilled drinksplace to stayhome away from homeliving roomhot waterarusha townmount merucaspervolunteersorganizationsopportunitiestanzaniapower
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2015

I was here last summer in around end of August. I found this place a little bit pricey for its place ($20/night) but I'm probably silly because they actually provide breakfast and dinner and those were delicious Tanzanian food. Free laundry too which was a plus. The bed was alright, equipped with mosquito net. So, the price is so worth it.

However, we booked a trip to Maji Moto (hot spring in the desert) which was 2 hour drive away and there was 10 of us. We were shocked to be given only a 7 seater mpv and was charged around $20 per person and we have to squeezed in the mpv. We managed to bargain it down until $16/person but the journey was an unpleasant one still (safety and comfort wise).

There were a few incidents where some of the travellers' money were stolen and we suspected that a masaii guard who kept going around the hostel took it but we can't prove it. I was lucky that I kept my money with me all the time. Just be careful not to leave your money in the bags. There was no wifi when we were there. Not sure if they've fixed it.

Overall, good hostel, good food, good environment too.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Afifuze
Reviewed 4 February 2015

I liked the place very much! The staff was friendly and very caring and the dorm was nice and clean. The price included breakfast and dinner but sometimes the friendly staff gave me some extra food if I was hungry during the day.

Staff is both local and international so living in the city was really easy. They helped as much as you needed and they organised couple of nice experiments in nice and low price. It's easy to volunteer with the hostell staff and they will help you to find the best places to visit in Arusha.

If you choose this hostel I'm sure your stay in Arusha will be better than you can expect. Many of the guests of the hostel visits the place again and surely do I!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KimOfFinland
Reviewed 2 February 2015 via mobile

I surely recommend this place. Gasper the manager is the nicest person you will ever meet and so is his brother Evans and especially Micheal the driver who would take us anywhere and pick us up again at any given time.
All of them are helpful especially for me and my teenage friend who ran in to a lot of trouble during visit in Tanzania.
The best thing is that Gasper know how Tanzania works and the right people too, so he could rescue us.
One thing I like is that they ALWAYS keep time which is a good thing.
During our stay they showed me and my friend around Arusha and took us to adventures trips for an affordable prices.
We worked at some of the volunteering projects during our stay as well

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2015

Great place near the complex, with cinema and restaurants. It is near Arusha town also.
The hostel has the best typical Tanzania food from the mamas.
And the hostel aslo have super cute turtles in the garden!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EmmaandJohan
Reviewed 31 December 2014

n november I stayed for 3 weeks at Ujamaa. I was there to visit my daughter who is volunteering in Arusha.
After a warm welcome I felt immediately at home. Although my age is a bit higher than the average age at the hostel, I enjoyed very much the atmosphere between the guests and the management. Together, we did some touristic trips, were going out and laughed a lot.
Gasper , the manager, was always helpful with the small as well as with the bigger issues. And Evance, Gaspers brother, took me on some trips to visit to different volunteering projects. Also, he assisted me when I went to city of Arusha to buy soms stuff in the little shops and at the market place for the project I volunteered at. I could never have done that by myself at short notice.
The “cooking and cleaning lady's” were all very friendly and their service is excellent.
When I go back to Arusha I definitely will stay at Ujamaa!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo