Ujamaa Hostel
Agoda.com
Kigongoni Lodge(Arusha)
US$151
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbreakfast and dinnerfree laundryclean and safe placefantastic thingschilled drinksplace to stayhome away from homeliving roomhot waterarusha townmount merucaspervolunteersorganizationsopportunitiestanzaniapower
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

I have stayed at Ujamaa a couple of times, travelling as a solo female I was straight away put at ease with the friendly community vibe, the airport transfer was a breeze. There is fantastic help and support in how to travel out to volunteer projects, and I quickly became comfortable with the local geography and how to get to places. I have also stayed in 2012 and 2009 and both times felt so welcomed, safe and inspired to return. I have on one occasion travelled solo with my -at the time 6month old baby and it was perfect for both of us. The rooms are clean, the vegetarian food option was amazing, and everyone is so friendly. I recommend Ujamaa to everyone travelling to Tanzania, whether it’s to do a safari or volunteer.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Ujamaa in 2013 they looked after me extremely well. The mama’s are fantastic, cooking, cleaning and doing laundry. Great location; next to a complex with food and a shop as well as good transport links. Friendly staff and a clean and safe place to stay. I’d go again!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2018

I was made to feel unsafe by the male Tanzanian staff members. The female staff members were quite nice but there was one night I was unable to sleep because I feared being attacked at night. Ladies would be better off sharing a room with others, for safety.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Gasper M, Owner at Ujamaa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

We don’t recall hosting you at our Hostel this are pure non funded allegations. Kindly remove this review.

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

I stayed in Ujamaa hostel for 2 weeks! I had the most amazing time in Tanzania! The hostel it's self was everything we needed it to be. I shared a room with my best friend and we felt very safe as 2 female travelers. Gasper made us feel very much at home. He was a brilliant hostel host! He showed us all the fantastic things to do in Arusha! The hostel was very clean and tidy! And had a very homely feel. Jenni cooked breakfast and dinner for us every day which was always fantastic. I'm a vegi and she even made me a separate meal!! Thank you Jenni. The hostel was always busy with lots of other like-minded volunteer workers. So there was always something new you could join in with. I enjoyed my stay at the hostel so much that I will be returning again this september!! Thank you gasper for having us! Looking forward to our next trip to Arusha!!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Gasper M, Owner at Ujamaa Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

We are very thankful for you and for all the good work you put into helping our society ( volunteering programme ). You are one of the best guest we have had this year. We all look forward on having back. Asante sana Amy

Reviewed 21 January 2018

I am going to Arusha once or twice per year because of a project and I really like Ujamaa hostel. I especially like the people there. Even when I am travellig alone, I am not left alone. :) Gasper, the owner is a very nice guy. He is being very supportive with the project. He took time to sit down with me and discuss about my problems and he is a very good person to talk to.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for your nice review we will always remember you and you are always welcome to stay with us.