All reviews duma explorer fresh mango mango trees gracious hosts incredible hospitality an excellent place to stay taxi into town tanzanian coffee rooms are clean and comfortable home away from home wifi worked well beautiful garden long safari local cuisine the main road breakfast and dinner water pressure
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I thoroughly enjoyed my short stay at Tumaini Cottage. I spent the night before and after my safari in Tanzania here and I would recommend it to any one. My favorite thing about this place is that it is so intimate. It is run by a man and his wife who are kind and welcoming. We were greeted by them both upon arrival with a tray of glasses filled with fresh mango and carrot juice. The owner is fluent in english and a very interesting person to talk to. They were willing to help us with anything we needed, including finding a bus ticket to Dar es Salaam.

The rooms are lovely, finished with beautiful wood furniture including a desk, 4 post-bed (with mosquito net, they also spray the rooms for mosquitos at night to deter the little malaria carriers to stay away when opening the doors and don't worry it doesn't make the room smell), bedside tables with lamps, tv, loving bathrooms with great showers. There is a beautiful yard with fruit trees and flowers where you can sit outside and enjoy a drink in the afternoons.

I can't say enough about the meals that they served! The couple lives in a home next to the hotel, the home has a large dining room attached where your meals are served. For breakfast we had omelets, toast, fresh avocado, sausages, coffee, tea, and juice (even when we had to leave at 5:30 in the morning!). Lunch and supper consisted of toasts and delicious soups, followed by delicious curries with rice and a fresh banana for dessert.

It felt like you were visiting family! I am not sure when I will be able to return to Tanzania, but if I ever do I would definitely choose this place again!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed at Tumaini for 4 nights, before and after our safari and we felt very welcome. The hosts are very friendly and helpful as all the guests say and it is all true. The food is very tasty and Andy will make sure you don't leave hungry. We found it very confenient to stay "home" for dinner after a long safari day or walking trip. The lunchboxes are also a big plus as well as the laundry service. You can even leave a part of your luggage behind when you go on a safari. The rooms are big, clean and the beds are very comfortable. There is a nice garden with chairs and you can spot birds. Do not hesitate to stay here, you will not get disappointed. Next time we will stay here again, no doubt about it!

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
tumainicottage, Manager at Tumaini Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

On behalf of Tumaini Cottage Arusha accommodation i would like to thank you for your review we are always delighted to serve you. Karibu Africa.

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Our stay at Tumaini Cottage was so peaceful and refreshing for us. It is like an oasis in the hustle of Arusha. The grounds are very tranquil and the rooms are quite comfortable. We were well taken care of while we were there. The hosts ensured that we had food that we desired and made us feel like we were the only thing important to them while we were there. I will stay at Tumaini Cottage again when in Arusha and I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to spend time in Arusha. Thanks Andy and family! Oh...and the scrambled eggs were the best I've ever had!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This facility looks brand new. The room looked brand new too. Our group stayed there twice on our trip. The food was good and the shower hot, the owner hovered like a hawk when serving food to make sure we were taken care of. The back rooms were ulta quiet and the comfortable bed provided a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: The back rooms are ultra quiet!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Tumaini cottage has a 'homey' feeling. The contact is very personal which makes you feel at home. The rooms are clean and spacious and there is a lovely garden to relax in. I didn't rate it 'excellent' because of the limitations to access the internet. Great deal!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business