“Good location, near to shopping”
Review of Golden Crown Plaza

Golden Crown Plaza
Ranked #27 of 91 Hotels in Hat Yai
Malaysia
“Good location, near to shopping”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We travel in group of 5. Booked 2 rooms for 2 nights during weekend stay. First night we booked 1 junior suite (add extra bed) + 1 superior room, both located at 8th floor. Second night we booked 2 superior room and managed to get connecting rooms. The hotel staffs are not too friendly maybe because they can hardly speak good English. They don't understand our requests and will easily make people lost of patience. One of the hotel porter can speak good mandarin and very helpful. He helps to do some translations when needed. The room is clean and bed is comfortable but please take note that they don't provide free toothbrush. If you like to experience the Thai massage services, can arrange the masseur to your room. 1 hr 45 min only charged at 300 bahts. It's cheap!! If you are satisfied with their service, it's advisable to pay extra 20 bahts as tippings. The breakfast is not good. Hotel is located near to shopping area and can easily get local food. Lee Garden Plaza and Central Departmental Store is within 5 min walk. There are McD, KFC, Shabu Shi and Swensen's in Lee Garden Plaza. Early morning, you can just walk out from the hotel and go to the market which sell all kinds of fresh fruits and groceries items such as cashewnuts and anchovies. Besides that, there are a few food stalls open at night where u get to try on their local food called "Kuay Chap" and bird nest desserts. The Char Kuay Teow is nice. Price about 35-40 baht. 1 bowl of bird nest is 120 baht each. To travel from hotel to Songkhla takes about 40 min ride by tuk-tuk and averagely they will charge 1500 baht for half day tour to 4-5 tourist attractions inclusive of The Golden Mermaid statue at Samila Beach and The Great Serpent "Naga". If you would like to visit Khlong Hae floating market after that will cost you extra 500 baht. After obtaining this info at the hotel, we decided to walk to the nearby Kim Yong Market (hard to bargain price due to communication problems) and the clock tower area (there is a small flee market and Zebra kitchenware shop). From there, we took tuk-tuk to the local supermarket "Big C" (like Giant or Carrefour), charges less than 100 bahts. After Big C, it's already almost 3-4pm. We managed to nego a good price (900 bahts) with Tuk Tuk driver to bring us visit Songkhla and Khlong Hae floating market. We only visited 2 places, Samila Beach and the naga statue then left to Khlong Hae around 6pm+. The tuk-tuk driver will wait for us and fetch us back to hotel after Khlong Hae floating market. The next day, we asked the hotel to get us a van to airport at 600 bahts.

Room Tip: Higher floors seems quieter and brighter
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mae T

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I booked a junior suite + normal deluxe room. The hotel is fairly new & great location.. near to market & shopping malls.. The only cons are.. the shower water are cold, seems like the heater is not working & the suite has a few small roaches running around.. overall acceptable & will recommend to my friends & relatives...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank happyanngel
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I spent two nights in the Golden Crown Plaza Hotel end of December 2011 with my partner.

Hotel situation is excellent, 5 mn walking from the walking street market and shopping. The staff and reception are very friendly and helpful. The room was decent, but not excellent and not very clean (coackroches), with towels and bedsheets with holes. The price for the double was 1.200 Thai B.

The main concern was the noise : from the street traffic ; from the other guests, mainly Malaysian Chinese and Malays families, frantically shopping.

Room Tip: Take a room on the back, the street is very noisy until late. Wish your neighbors will be reasonably...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank aae191
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This was my 2nd trip to Hatyai for work after nearly 3 years. When I arrived Hat Yai, i was placed in New Season Hotel which was reasonably acceptable given the surrounding standards.

However, when i returned from Offshore after 4 days, which also happened to be a weekend, New Season Hotel was fully booked, and I was placed in Golden Crown Plaza Hotel.

Front desk staff was initially speaking to you in a very high tone, which i thought was alright since it was crowded and she probably thought i couldnt hear her. My agent, didnt leave me behind but instead she spoke Thai to the front desk staff insisting that I get my keys first before she leaves, which was very out of the norm. She mentioned " I'm not scared you will have a problem, but Im afraid they(the hotel) might have a problem." I didnt think much of it.

I went up to my room, plugged in the computer, after a trip down to the front desk again as i need to place a deposit for an adapter, and realised the internet was not working. i sat for a good 45 mins trying to figure out if its my laptop, or the network. I went to a colleague's room, and realised that it was the network plug in my room, as his, has got no problem. So I called for assistance, only to wait another 45 minutes with no one turning up.

Again, i made a trip down to the front desk, and was attended by an older lady. When I indicated I needed help with the internet, she said that the network plug in my room could be faulty and insisted that I paid another 50baht for wifi. I politely requested a change for room, which was quickly turned down with an excuse that it is fully occupied. Again, I requested politely indicating that I am paying the same room rate as everyone else, and I do not see why i should be paying extra when everyone else don't and suggested her to give my room to holiday makers who will not be using the internet, as I was on official business and needed the internet service. These were her exact words " You pay 50 baht, or no internet. Room plug spoil and no change room. You don't like you check out." Its a small sum of money, but It boils down to the principles of the management.

I walked away, went up, grabbed my stuff and thats exactly what i did. I called the agent asking her to find another place, no matter how much it cost. When i when down to check out, the same lady then changed her tone and said there is another room on the 2nd floor if i want. U think?

The agent got a suite at New Season Hotel, which was 2 times bigger and about 200 baht more.

I, will never recommend anyone, nor will I ever step into this hotel again. Especially after rough weather out at sea.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank SadatHassan

Travellers are raving about these Hat Yai hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Honestly, i don't get it why the comments below seem to sound so disastrous for this hotel. infact i was the with my wife for a 3days stay and must say it was a fantastic hotel. The staff were very warm and the bell boys helped us in recommending the best sights to visit for both shopping and culture. The hotel is located in the center-most of the shopping area..everything is just around the corner including fast food joints as well as local delights.

The rooms are big and spacious not forgetting clean and very tidy. Bathrooms with all the necessary amenities with hot and cold shower. Breakfast is alright but hey when you're in Hatyai...why the heck American breakfast ??? you've got the best tastes of Asia there !
My wife and I had an awesome holiday and you know what ? for $30 a night, this is second to none !!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple