“Pushy, annoying staff”
Review of My Chau Hotel

My Chau Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hoi An
My Chau Hotel
Ranked #250 of 294 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed for 4 nights at My Chau and it was pleasant enough. The facilities were clean and the price was decent.

However, the stuff were unbelievably pushy, continually trying to get me to book things through them and extract money from me. I hired a bicycle on my first day - it was $1 for a day. When I tried to take it out later that evening they tried to charge me again!

Every morning they staff would ask me what I was doing that day but not in a friendly way. It was obvious they just wanted my money. I don't know why they think this annoying tactic works because it made me resolved not to spend any money with them (even if it meant walking a few blocks to a travel agent out of principle).

My biggest qualm with them came to booking a flight from Danang to Ho Chi Minh. They lady at the counter quoted me around $73 US. When I looked it up myself I found the same flight for $33! They were ready to commission more than 50%. In addition to this, when I asked them about the local bus to Danang, they told me it would cost $5 and take 1.5 hours. They assured me that booking a different bus through them was the best option. Well, I took the local bus and it ended up costing $1 and took 45 minutes. These were straight-out lies and it really got on my nerves.

I would only recommend staying here for one night. Any further time and the lying staff will drive you crazy!

Room Tip: Make sure you pay for air conditioning. It's pretty brutal without it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank eric_mantis

Reviewed 22 August 2014

After a few odd stops around town we came to the My Chau, $10 single $12 with AC, most rooms have no windows but all seem to have newly serviced AC units,cable tv,hot water and some furniture. I had the upstairs room on the shared balcony. The staff is nice enough, And after a few months I'm used to people asking me what I plan on doing that day every morning....

Room Tip: rooms on the street can get noisy as the sidewalk eatery comes alive around 5 A.M.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We met the girl at the bus station and we turned her offer of a cheap room and moto down as we had a place in mind already, however that place was full and after walking all round the town (all the places we tried were full or over our budget) we ended up here.
We chose the room on the top floor. It was big, clean, comfortable and quiet. We had a big floor fan and a/c that was very effective.
The girl on reception was lovely, so helpful and friendly. She gave us free maps and clear instuctions on best way to visit local sites. We hired a scooter it was cheap and hassle-free and she booked our sleeper bus to Hue, it was a $1 cheaper than anywhere else, a very nice new bus with toilet.
The down side: the drain in the bathroom was very slow to drain and did smell but only until the water drained then it was fine and I dhould have mention it too the hotel staff and forgot.
We have stayed in many hotels in 10 months of travel and we would highly recommend this place. We paid $14 per night!!!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank angeprocter
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed for 1 day and paid 18$(350.000 dong). This hotel has the great location, only 5 minutes to walk to the acient town. The surrounding area has good and cheap street food (at night and morning). The room was small :(, and had no window but quite clean (it's ok if u just sleep 1 night). The bathroom was ok. There was a receptionist that cute, lovely :x and useful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights. Room was clean and cheap. Only 10 usd. Water pressure was soso and it couldn get a bit noisy from time to time. But u get what u pay for. And people who think they will get a plaza stay should go somewhere else. This is a walk-in backpacker place. Somewhat away from the epicentre of the soundcarpet but a 2 min walk from the major shopping streaks. Hoi An on the other hand is totally overrated, dirty, with a bunch of spoiled rude Vietnamese people trying to jack the non-cautious tourist. E.g. the booking offices will charge you DOUBLE the amount for the train ticket. We refused this and then the asian haggle commenced. We ended up paying 20% extra which is reasonable. But this was common everywhere. Its apparent that the humbleness is gone. In Greece they give u bread and then charge extra. Here its rice. We preferred noodles but they kept trying to force rice on us and the tried to squeeze it into the bill, writing it in Vietnamese. This was common practice in all major restaurants in the mid-range section. I expected this behaviour in general on the open markets having lived in Asia for quite some time but the Vietnamese lack the finesse of negotiations. Spend a day here. Have dinner in the evening. And leave. Its enough.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends