“AWESOME!! except for Verde Room fails” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cliff Resort & Residences

The Cliff Resort & Residences
Ranked #10 of 122 Hotels in Phan Thiet
Melbourne, Australia
“AWESOME!! except for Verde Room fails”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

Okay people, this review is EPIC!!!
Sooooo The Cliff Resort and Residences, we booked many many months before and we began our stay in a Verde room for 6 nights. Firstly size-wise it was awesome and it had a kitchen which for a family with a 3year old was the biggest draw for us, the bungalows don't really cater for kids unless you can afford a big suite with a giant jump in price. Annoyingly there are other guests hanging around on the couches outside the rooms next door smoking so that's not so nice for non-smokers and my child to be around. Sadly the more budget option is the Verde room (still a pricey room for Vietnam!) and it is a dark damp-smelly room that sees no light either so forget about your swimmers drying or even your towels drying overnight. Previous reports called it a basement room and that's exactly what you are getting really. We asked housekeeping to come by twice to attempt to fix it (as moving rooms is a big big pain) and that was just them spraying some citrus cleaner around and leaving two or three more full-on burners of lemongrass oil, so much so it burns your eyes, so you either get breathing issues from the damp stench of hidden mould like I did or suffer the over-perfumed saturation headaches of the oils masking the mouldy smell, no winning at all...and there was no following up from the hotel with us to see how it went either until I went to reception and told them the next day that we just needed another room on Day 2, they weren't even surprised.. really guys, that's UNACCEPTABLE. We were shown another room exactly of the same available in Verde room and it stank too, so we told them no to that move, seriously there was zero point. I was told that as we booked through Booking.com and NOT directly with the Resort (yep you get punished!) they told us our options were to downgrade (losing money as no refunds for a cheaper and smaller but very lovely room - Azul Sea it is gorgeous but not kid friendly with the balconies) or upgrade for a cost of basically another night at their higher website rates for a garden view Bungalow. Considering it wasn't our fault their rooms were 'faulty', why was this my loss to bear?? Amazingly the understanding of this was ignored and we were not impressed so this marred an otherwise PERFECT stay. Our choices weren't big and we still had a lot of days left there with a wedding for our friends coming up. We moved to a Bungalow and they helped move us with the buggies etc but this was definitely a big stain on the high standard of service we hoped for - not even an apology, very disappointed.

So so many amazing things to tell you about this place though, but this really upset me as no one can be expected to stay in a room like that affecting your health! I felt pretty unwell.

So here are the good things because I am fair: Gorgeous staff generally every single day and really really helpful when it came to concierge type stuff like booking a dinner for a group, more towels, and the tricky task of finding a GOOD funky cool hairdresser (thank you so much to the very kind and beautiful French lady on reception!!). Plus I left my Fitbit charger in our first room and they found it and sent it back to me in Australia, now that's 5* treatment! Cool!
Amazing delicious food (reasonably priced) at the restaurant, we ate here a lot as my son had a thing for the Phò and I had a thing for the cocktails!! OHHH and don't get caught by the wording of the happy hour cocktails like I did!!! You have to BUY TWO cocktails and your THIRD one is free and I think they alllll need to be the same one too sadly..so that's not my favourite when it came to the wording of the happy hour (Buy 2 & get 1 free is not like we understood it to be), just clarify (a few times!) when you see deals like this in Vietnam. But not a big deal.
Breakfast gets a bit boring after a few days but it's still delicious and pretty extensive so you just need to mix it up and try new things.
BEAUTIFUL beach, so clean and so good for swimming in the morning before it gets too windy later in the day. The pool is also very clean and just excellent, but do be careful on the steps for dips that are easily missed if the lights are not on yet, oooooouch. The swimup pool bar is so perfect for cocktails and you can order cocktails upstairs too and get them to take away down to the beach..sigh..sooo good. I miss them already.
Didn't use the movie theatre or the games room as too busy chilling elsewhere. The kids room is tiny tiny tiny and always empty (missed opportunity for a Kids Club guys! Or maybe it's just not widely advertised??) so that's a bit sad but the playground is gorgeous and had seven slides, my toddler loooved it. The grounds are immaculate and so peaceful/blissful, everyone smiles and says hi, loved that. The 2hr deal at the Zest spa is totally worth it $-wise as the coffee scrub + massage + pedi was amazing.
We were there for a friends wedding and also to celebrate my 40th birthday but they forgot they said they were going to give me a cake in an earlier email so that was a bit sad for me as I didn't get to see what kind (the mini cakes at breakfast each day were always different and so so tasty!!) and I was a bit embarrassed to ask for it when I was promised it, but oh well.
Suggestions for folks, pack thin materials that will dry quicker as the humidity does not help, but fresh air does aid in quicker drying of swimmers and clothes etc outside, so go for rooms with balconies to get air in your room and clothes. The Bungalows are beautiful and bathrooms make your stay feel luxurious, hammocks too and you are totally spoiled. I LOVED THIS HOTEL.

Stayed January 2017, travelled with family
The_Cliff_Mgmt, Guest Relations Manager at The Cliff Resort & Residences, responded to this review, 13 February 2017
Dear GoodGodYes,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback following your recent stay with us. Whilst I'm pleased to note that we fully met your expectations in terms of services and spa and beach quality, I am very sorry to read of the difficulties you experienced with our Verde condominium. Please accept our sincere apologies for any discomfort this may have caused.

I apologize because the room was not to your liking, since it was interior room. I am really sorry you and your family had a difficult start with us and even though your discomfort was finally solved, you should have received some sympathetic apologies.

Your feedback is a vital part of our business and it is through your constructive
comments that we are able to improve the service we offer guests in our hotel.

We would like to thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention and we do
hope you will allow us the opportunity to accommodate you again on some future
occasion.

Faithfully yours,

Guest Relations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Seoul, Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2017

Second time at cliff resort.

Best bed, pillow , clean ,quiet !!!
Drinking at pool bar was awesome.

Because of staff, Mr. lap, our family ( 10 people) had a wonderful time at muine.
Manger and all staff were really kind !

Plus, massage at cliff was quite soft and made us to be more relax~ price was reasonable.

Breakfast also good! eating quite western food with wonderful view, but there were no tips for eating banh can..

We visited cliff restaurant at 2 times, but every time it was difficult to call waitress.

I recommend cafe sua da !

Sincerely miss muine.

Room Tip: 445 is better than 441(it has a wall inside the room)
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Cliff_Mgmt, Guest Relations Manager at The Cliff Resort & Residences, responded to this review, 6 February 2017
Dear sooa27,

I love reading such a great review following your 2nd stay at The Cliff Resort & Residences! We are always thrilled when our guests return.

It is rewarding for all our staff members to know we have made your stay an
unforgettable one. We pride ourselves in creating beautiful memories thanks to our
staff members, our facilities and the services we offer. I am so glad you were able to
enjoy our relaxing massages at Zest Spa, highly recommended.

I have shared with Lap your friendly comments, he is always ready to help our guests.

Thank you for mentioning him, he is a real asset!

I am sorry you experienced some difficulties when trying to order food in the
restaurant, I will inform our Food & Beverages manager.

I look forward to welcoming you back at The Cliff Resort & Residences, your home in Mui Ne.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2017

I love this resort. Perched up on the cliffs it provides beautiful views out to sea. The breakfast buffet is incredible and did not leave me wanting. We stayed in a bungalow in the gardens. with its outdoor shower it felt like we were staying outside. Nice pools and friendly staff make this place a must do if staying in Phan Thiet

Stayed March 2016
Dear Tom G,

Thank you for the great recommendation following your stay at the Cliff Resort & Residences, we value your patronage.

We greatly appreciate you took the time to write a review and are pleased to learn that
you enjoyed our staff friendliness, our services and of course our spacious and relaxing
bungalows with outside bathroom.

We thank you for your kind comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the
very near future.

Yours sincerely,

Marie Charlotte,
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have been to mui ne many times but this was out first time at the cliff. We loved the 2 bedroom accommodation overlooking the sea and the spa treatments were the best I've had in vietnam. It might be because it was coming up to new year but we found some of the staff quite distracted, they were not as attentive as in smaller resorts we have stayed at in mui ne. For example the lady on reception at breakfast answered the phone whilst we were talking to her, we were trying to explain that we gave the wrong breakfast vouchers the day before which we didn't manage before she answered the phone. Also we were charged for breaking a wine glass (which is fair enough) but I did try to explain that it was only knocked very lightly and it was obvious from the clean break on the steam that there was a prior weakness, all the staff could say was that it was "hotel policy to charge for breakages". The location was further out from the main strip then we would have liked to be. Overall nice but we won't stay again.

Stayed January 2017, travelled with family
The_Cliff_Mgmt, Guest Relations Manager at The Cliff Resort & Residences, responded to this review, 1 February 2017
Dear Gemmagaines,

Thank you very much for your review and for informing us about the difficulties you encountered during your stay at The Cliff Resort & Residences.

Your comments are truly valuable to us, as they allow us to improve our service levels and the quality standards we are aiming for.

I am happy to read that despite your disappointment you appreciated our venue and especially our Terra Condominium.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the shortfall in service you experienced. This is the Lunar New Year period and our resort is fully booked. So, the lack of attentiveness might have been one of the consequences. Again, we're deeply sorry.

I can ensure you we will work harder to train our staff to international customer service standards as obviously we want to create a beautiful experience filled with good memories for all our guests.

It would be our pleasure to have the chance of welcoming you back at the Cliff Resort
and Residences if you are willing to give us another chance to make amends.

Marie Charlotte,
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2017

We stayd in Terra room which has is it own terrace with jacuzzi and spacious room. The ambiance is elegant and subtle, very cosy. In this room type it doesn't feel so much that you are in a resort. There is also regular hotel room types and bungalowes. There is own beach and nice pool area. The spa is excellent and good value for money especially the spa buffet where you pay 800 vnd and get treatments for 120 minutes by your choice of the spa buffet menu. The restaurant is okey, the hot pots are best in there. Breakfast offers something for every taste. The stuff is friendly but dont expect great english. Thera are some how speak better and then you get good service but there are many who dont speak english that well. We had a lovely time here and we enjoyed our stay a lot.

Room Tip: Terra room type is good choice.
  • Stayed January 2017, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
The_Cliff_Mgmt, Guest Relations Manager at The Cliff Resort & Residences, responded to this review, 23 January 2017
January 23rd, 2017,

Dear Berryferry,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts after your stay at The Cliff Resort & Residences.

I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed all the facilities of the resort, and that the breathtaking sea views from your Terra Condominium are still alive in your memory.

I am very happy you appreciated our Zest Spa which is definitively a Must Do!

Our Spa Buffet offers an excellent value for money package: a full pampering session for
2 hours for only 800,000 vnd!

I appreciate the feedback on areas which you felt we can improve and we will use it to
work harder to train our staff to understand and communicate in English.

I am happy we could make a lasting impression and do hope to see you again in the
future.