Open today: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm
Review Highlights
A great place to visit on nice Autumn day!

This was the highlight of my day date with my GF in Yokosuka. The ship looks like she could head... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
4Miggy123
Interesting place to visit

Lots of interesting information and can pretty much access most of the ship. At only ¥600 (£~4) for... read more

Reviewed 18 June 2023
Littleone88
Brighton,England

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

When my wife asked me what one thing I would want to see in Japan, I said: The Battleship Mikasa. I am a bit of a war history and naval enthusiast and felt that I could not miss seeing this famous ship.
The only remaining pre-dreadnought battleship in the world and its story is a unique and unmissible experience. The visit was even better than I expected. The ship itself is wonderful and the exhibits well done and interesting. The VR putting you on the bridge alongside Admiral Togo is nicely done and even more exciting than most games in the current football WC.
The staff was informative, very helpful, and proudly willing to share their enthusiasm for their ship and its history. My wife who graciusly took the half day with me from Tokyo to see Mikasa was pleasantly surprised how fun it was and how interesting the whole story of the ship and the Russia-Japan war was. She would though have wanted to see more of the daily life of the regular crew, how they worked, ate and slept. The ship and the museum is a work in progress, it is great to see it as it is now and I hope they will soon have one of the 12” turrets in “working order” to be able to see that marvel of engineering and how it works. Or the engine rooms!
I thank Captain Kouta and the others of the staff for their hospitality and hope to visit again next time I am in Japan.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 6 June 2018

日露戦争の日本海海戦でロシア海軍バルチック艦隊を撃破した連合艦隊の旗艦。帰還の折、佐世保港内で爆破事故のため沈没、引き上げられ再度戦艦として従事したが、廃艦危機などの紆余曲折を経て記念艦となり、現在に至る。
記念艦の展示手法は、上甲板と中甲板で大きく異なる。上甲板は、砲台等は全て模造物となっているものの、当時の戦艦としてのスケールや機能が詳細に分かるようになっている。中甲板は展示専用となっており、当時の面影を知る機材などはほとんど残されていないが、老若男女幅広く知的好奇心をくすぐられる展示が散りばめられて面白い。特に幕末から第一次世界大戦に至るまでの日本国外の情勢の変動や軍艦の技術向上は、何度訪れても興味を引き立たせる。
展示の内容は英語表記であり、中央展示室に設置されているいくつかの解説用モニターは、英語だけでなく中国語・韓国語でも解説してくれるため、外国人でも楽しみやすい。日本海海戦を短縮したVRは非常に興味深い!
元は軍艦という関係上、昇降は階段のみで狭い。人がすれ違えるかどうか程度の幅しか無く、勾配も急である。障碍を持つ人は非常に利用しづらい。艦橋の通路も狭い箇所があり、柵や手すりがあるもののはしゃいでいると転落する危険性がある。小さなお子さん連れの家族は要注意だ。

It was originally the flagship of the Allied Fleet which destroyed the Russian Navy's Baltic fleet in the Russo-Japanese War. Overcoming the crisis of being mothballed, it is welcoming tourists who visit as a memorial ship now.
The display method is largely different between the upper deck and the middle deck. On the upper deck, although all the equipment such as the battery is imitated, you'll be felt in detail the size and function of the battleship at that time. The middle deck is almost exhibition-only space. Although almost no equipment was left at that time, there are many exhibits that all people are interested in regardless of age or sex. You'll have the interest in the change of world situation from the end of Edo period to World War I and the technological enhancement of battleships, no matter how many times you visit there.
The explanation of the exhibition is written together with English. Not only English but also Chinese and Korean languages are prepared for the commentary monitor installed in the central exhibition room. Foreign tourists will be able to enjoy it. The Virtual Reality(VR) service which shortened the battle of Tsushima is very interesting!
On the other hand, some passages are narrow because the original was a warship. Elevation is only stairs, they are narrow and steep gradients. People with disabilities are very hard to use it. Also, there is a danger of falling if scooping up on the upper deck. If you visit there with your children, you should pay attention to them.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 12 May 2018

The Mikasa memorial ship comes in two parts, the upper deck, where you can explore the ship as a ship, looking at the wireless room, bridge and guns. The bridge sections offer good views of both Mikasa Park and Sarushima. The lower deck is more of a musuem area, with exhibits providing details about the modernization of the Japanese navy, the Japan-Russo War (particularly the naval battles) and the life of the Mikasa. All of the exhibits have both Japanese and English texts, and most have a voice recordings available in both languages.
A word of warning to anyone of larger builds, particularly those who are tall, some of the doorways on the ship are a bit small, so getting through them might be a little bit awkward.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

The entry is ¥600, not ¥100 to enter as an ad mislead me(it wasn't only me who was mislead!).
I had a good time playing a simulation game and 3D goggles. A short film and other display are also ok. I recommend this place to japanese speaking person because i didn't notice any audio guide for non japanese speakers. This is a Navy exhibition, it arose my winning spirit for sure but it doesn't show you misery and suffering of the wars.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

I enjoyed walking around the shop. The virtual part was super cool. They have stuff for kids to do while onboard .

Date of experience: November 2017