See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 June 2015

The main reason we booked this hotel is because it seemed they could accommodate a large family (of five) in one room, which can be tough to find in Japan. The hotel didn’t disappoint, as we had a very large (traditional) room, with futon beds and another area to relax in (with a TV).
The restaurant was very good, too, with an English menu, but very nice Japanese food.
Also had a small playground across the road, it was only a short walk to the castle (and train station), and there were friendly staff who speak English.
One word of warning – we struggled to find the hotel initially - either Google Maps or their own map was a bit messed up (and the lack of English road signs didn’t help). Still managed to find it, though, thanks to the hotel’s own signage which is quite high up.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 October 2014

I have stayed at the Claire Higasa twice with work. The rooms are very small but cosy. Very basic rooms but they are tidy. The people are very lovely and helpful. They are always willing to give advise if you ask. They have a good command of English. There is a restaurant that serves a traditional Japanese meal or Western breakfast (with a twist) - very nice and the waitress' are superb. On the top floor there are bath houses (gender separated) where there are great massage chairs, areas to freshen up in, lockers and of course an area to wash and then a mini tub to bathe in. Remember that you bathe naked. I recommend this place to anyone that is not worried about the size of rooms (note: I was in a single bedded room). A great location and not far from the main shopping areas.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed for just one night to visit the castle (which we hadn't realized was undergoing restoration). The hotel is close to the station, though it could do with better directions on the web site. The triple room we had was a good size, but the bathroom is tiny, much too small for the rest of the room. The men in my family tell me that the shared bath is very nice, but there is no obvious view described by others. The pillows were reversible, with one side of the bag-of-beads variety. Could probably have asked for different ones, but they were fine.The staff were very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat at the hotel and so can't comment. It was good value overall. Fine for a short stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TripAway7
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I feel I'm being a bit genorous to this hotel as I certainly wasn't thrilled with it. But our stopover was just that, a stopover: quick visit to the castle and gone. The hotel is in a handy location. I'd recommend it to a friend 'with conditions'. I was surprised at the nice boulevard leading up to the castle.

The hotel was very average but it had a particularly nice bath on the top floor with a view of the city (view of the castle that once was has been blocked). We had reserved a double (so we thought) but ended up with a triple (three single beds). It was large by Japanese standards but useless for a married couple.

The restaurant in the hotel is a breakfast only affair. It was pretty good. The desk clerk helpfully gave us a good recommendation for a restaurant nearby the evening before and they looked after our luggage after checkout while we did the castle.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Redtrail
Reviewed 3 October 2006

We stayed in a Japanese room, which was Ok but the pillow was like sleeping on river rocks & the futon gave me an uncomfortable night. Bathroom is tiny. Breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. It was not the real Japanese experience we anticipated at the Ryokan.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple