All reviews modern ryokan japanese style nara park rooms are great breakfast and dinner room including deer cookies shabu shabu jr station a great stay checking out top floor walking distance hotel is located men and women sitting area western breakfast
Reviewed 28 May 2018

Yes, we loved the food there! Their dinners were fantastic - beautifully made with good quality of food. Breakfast was nice too! You could tell the chefs had put a lot of effort to prepare the meals! Room was spacious and comfortable. Bathroom was slightly small but clean. Location was very good too!

Downside is that some staff couldn't speak English and we needed to wait to talk to someone who could speak English when we checked in and when we checked out.

Overall - I would still recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2018

Only breakfast available. No other restaurants in the hotel. You have to go to the station to eat. Staff polite. Rooms are made Japanese style. Beds are on the floor. So if you are
on the heavy side you could have a problem.Pick a room with a terrace if you are a smoker.Its worth it just to experience The Japanese styled room.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2018

Wanted a ryokan/onsen experience when visiting Nara. Admittedly it was my only ryokan/onsen experience but LOVED it. Stayed on futons and did the traditional Japanese breakfast. Not cheap, but really nice facilities and amazing service.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank careyedavis
Reviewed 3 January 2018

This was my first visit to Japan, so I was ready for an adventure. We took a bus from the JR station and then walked to the hotel. It is near Nara Park, and an easy walk. Our room was in the annex. We exchanged our shoes for slippers in the annex lobby and were taken to our room. I expected it to be smaller, but it was of nice size. They prepared our beds while we were out for dinner. The bedding was quite comfortable, although a second pillow would have been nice. The shower situation was fun. My daughter went to the women's bath, but I opted out. Good internet connection and the breakfast was great. I got the western breakfast. All in all, I would highly recommend Hotel New Wakasa. They also let us keep our bags behind the desk when we checked out while we were at Nara Park.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2018

General: We stayed here for two nights. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Kintetsu station, and quite a bit farther from the JR station. The whole town is relatively small, so everything is within about 20 minutes of walking, but Todai-ji temple was particularly close to this hotel, which made it nice to walk around in the evening after the crowds had left. Overall, the experience at Hotel New Wakasa was a 4.5/5.

Room: Note, shoes are only allowed in the lobby. There are shoe lockers on the way to the room for storage. Everything above the lobby is tatami mats.
Several reviews we read before booking commented on the room being small. We did not find this to be the case. I’d call it “efficient”. The only issue I had with the size was the shower, which tended to get the entire bathroom wet because it sprayed at a thin curtain into the rest of the bathroom.
The room overlooked a small courtyard area for adjacent buildings, but also had views of the Nandaimon gate. The toilet was probably the nicest one we encountered in Japan, and was hidden behind an odd door in the entrance way. The beds, while I imagine standard for a ryokan, were not easy for me to sleep on. I woke up the second day with terrible neck pain. Luckily, there was a nice, large, automatic temperature-regulated tub in the room to remedy that.

Amenities: We paid for the meal options (breakfast and dinner) for both days of our stay. The first dinner was a large spread of various Japanese delicacies. It was substantial and excellent. The second dinner was shabu shabu, which was good but nothing terribly special to me. I found it a bit bland. The breakfast was a standard Japanese set, but was of very high quality. Unfortunately, we had to leave for an early train on the second day, so we could not have our second breakfast, but the staff was nice enough to prepare some rice balls for our journey and deliver them to our room.
I did not use the public baths, but my wife did. She commented that they were somewhat small, although we don’t have anything to benchmark against. She also noted that they were well appointed and had high end bath products.

Staff: The front desk staff was very helpful and spoke decent English. At check-in, they provided a map of the town with all the landmarks people generally see. When our room was ready, we were escorted up to it and given a brief tour of the features. The restaurant staff was also very friendly and attentive, explaining what everything on the platters were and, when necessary, how to eat them properly.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple