Lowest prices for your stay
Trip.com
US$30
Free cancellation until 17/03/21
US$29
Free cancellation until 20/03/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Agoda.com
US$58
US$27
SAVE US$31
Free cancellation until 16/03/21
Booking.comUS$33
Hotels.comUS$29
StayForLongUS$58
All reviews holiday plaza deluxe room club floor nasi lemak bedroom slippers breakfast spread swimming pool sized bed checking in bathtub jb mall shopping renovation johor toilet gym
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 July 2020 via mobile

I was a bit sceptical about this hotel because of the rather bad reviews I read. But since the accomodation was booked by my client, I just go for it.

It’s an old hotel but still very well maintained and clean. The main lobby has a modern feel to it and the rooms are very spacious. Amenities provided in the room are pretty much at the same level with other 4/5 star hotels. Perhaps the toiletries provided are quite basic. The other thing I like about this hotel is it’s not crowded. Very quiet and peaceful environment.

Location-wise, there’s a mall next door - Holiday Plaza. But this mall looks pretty ran down. Didn’t have time to check it out.

Buffet breakfast is still not allowed because of Covid19 but the ala carte breakfast provided was excellent! Many choices for main item. Delicious and decent serving size.

I don’t mind staying here again when I’m back in JB esp for business trips. The room rates are really attractive. Definitely value for money!

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank Arif_Ibrahim68
Mutiara Johor Bahru MJB, Other at Mutiara Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2020

Dear Arif,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for choosing the Mutiara Johor Bahru as the preferred hotel for your accommodation needs.

It is fantastic to know that you had an enjoyable stay and thank you for your commendation on our service. We greatly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to welcoming you back for another fabulous staycation!

I have extended your compliment to the respective department for their attention.

Reviewed 31 March 2020 via mobile

I've been staying at this hotel from the start. But I started to notice a trend. Is it new management??
Last dec, we stayed as a family. I booked two junior suites and expected club floor only to find out CLUB FLOOR DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE.
Okay.. so gave them a chance because you know.. we are nice people.
But TONIGHT IS THE LAST STRAW.
HOW DO YOU PEOPLE SLEEP AT NIGHT?
1) my fiance paid for a full stay up to 1 april - he stayed almost 2 weeks. extended to end april and did so via booking.com.he went to check the next day only to find out they were kicking him out 1 April.
2) he paid up to 31 march with check out time at NOON on 31 march. it is 2332 and they SWITCHED OFF THE AIRCON on him.
3) staff who spoke to me is patronising. No you do NOT understand. If you did you would have fixed it!
4) room manager would rather eat his lunch then answer me. he is also a liar as he said he doesnt receive booking.com reservations and next told me I think you booked on xx date.
So, you know or you dont know?
you guys used to be our go to place. now you guys are so bad I'm surprised you guys haven't shut down permanently.

See attached for the welcome note I received thinking the stay is confirmed. If I didn't check then what ?? He gets thrown on the street??
Absolutely ridiculous.

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank sadiejanen2016

Dear Sadie

We take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience caused to your fiancee during his stay with us.. Rest assured, we will not blame the pandemic around us which we will assume responsibility even it is a very rare case.

We have no other choice then to follow the travel and stay restriction imposed by the government during pandemic CV19 where we have no other guests staying in house and we are not allowed to take any bookings effective 1st April.

Our manager had attended to your grievances tactfully and have offered assistance to you and your fiancee for other accommodation arrangement but was turn down by your good self.

I have extended your concern to the front office manager for their attention.

Thank you for your comment and we hope that you could afford us the opportunity to be of continuous service to you.

Reviewed 9 March 2020

Suit to the hotel as being the pioneer hotel in JB. A bit outdated but we can see that they are trying their level best to stay competitive. Love it. Friendly staffs... fast check in... good rooms and great food...

Dear 535yangj,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for choosing the Mutiara Hotel Johor Bahru as the preferred hotel for your accommodation needs.

Cheers

Reviewed 6 March 2020

I travel to JB often & usually stay a night ot two.
I love staying in different hotels.
I decided to book a stay in Mutiara. I was "upgraded" to a deluxe room out. I suppose the hotel wasn't full thus the kind gesture.

Pros:
Room was spacious.
Had decent TV channels, ie: English Movie Channels (Vision Progammes for Feb was good. Had movies such as Joker).
Breakfast was a decent. Menu consists of nasi lemak, mee goreng, mi hoon goreng, egg station, bread & muffin section.

Cons:
No toothbrush set nor bedroom slippers. (U must call front desk & request for it.)
No shower gel dispenser. (What i saw was a bottle filled with shower cream placed by the bath tub side.)
There was no shower curtain in the toilet.
The toilet's flush was weak & makes a gurgling sound after or during the flush, or clogs due to a weak flush. There was constant noise coming from the flushing pipes, even through the night.
There was an annoying fly that was buzzing around the room.

I informed the reception to change to another room the following day.

I will not consider staying at this hotel again. Its rated 4 star & a business but i believe this hotel must have been a favourite place to stay abt 20 years ago.
With plenty of new hotels sprouting in JB, i would venture to stay in other hotels.

Room tip: Breakfast in this hotel is of Asian dishes & the chef was good.
Date of stay: February 2020
Reviewed 5 March 2020

The hotel is a bit outdated and I can see they are doing the painting of the hotel. Other than that the staffs is very friendly and helpful. The room is spacious and clean. And the most important part is the location is great.. for shopping

Room tip: Ask for Pelangi Wing