“Read This (:”

Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru
Ranked #1 of 110 Hotels in Johor Bahru
Reviewed 10 January 2017

I have stayed in this hotel 4 times in the last year itself and will be staying here again for an anniversary this month. We even had my sister’s wedding here in December at Double Tree JB and I would like to tell all of you how amazing the hotel, the staff, the amenities and their service is.

First of all, Mr Simon McGrath is a truly commendable service-man with not only the guests best interests at heart, but also that of his own staff. His responses to reviewers on Trip Advisor are extremely witty and I strongly hope my compliments to him and to the hotel will serve as a reason for anyone who wishes to stay here, to actually do!

Do not read any negative reviews and judge this hotel’s quality based on them. Everything and anything you need will be tended to. Their ‘Make It Right” policy is truly admirable and praiseworthy as each and every single staff at DoubleTree serves to resolve your issues be they big or small. What guests do need to understand is, just like in any service industry sometimes requests (or your demands), cannot be attended to immediately. If you are coming to stay at a 5 star property and expecting preferential services just for that reason, it is truly unfair to the rest of the 200 other guests residing there at the same time as you. The true mark of any 5 star property like Double Tree clearly displays, is to treat every guest equally and I can assure you they strive to ensure that for every guest.

On all 4 occasions I stayed, I received excellent service. From the Tesco Bar staff and Manager, from the Makan Place staff at morning breakfast and even at the reception or concierge. I notice some reviewers making complains that there are “so many staff” around the reception area and that no one seems to be able to help you. Well, if you are that literate to be able to write such reviews, you should have also noticed that some of the staff at the reception area are bell-boys who help with our luggages and are not there to help you with your check in. Just like in any entity, staff are delegated certain duties. Also, at time of arrival if no one rushes forward to take your luggages from you (which is absurd because I have always been extremely well received the moment I get off my cab at Double Tree), you could simply just ask for some assistance. That is what I love about DoubleTree JB, all you need to do is ask and everyone comes together to ensure your requests are met. Didn’t get a cookie? ASK. Didn’t have someone help you with your bags? ASK. Didn’t like your pillows? ASK. It’s a basic human instinct. ASK if you are unsure.

There is an AMAZING pillow menu in every room, and every single time I have asked for a different pillow, the Careline staff have made sure I was made comfortable. Of course, not all instances will be in your favour and there was one time where the pillow I requested was unavailable but they sent me a similar one which made me as equally pleased with their services. There are instructions for laundry in the room. If you come to a 5 star property with an attitude of “I’m a king and I shouldn’t even be made to read a single thing”, then well that’s why you would be disappointed. I find, that just taking a little initiative on your part can also improve your own stay.

The amenities in the room are wonderful and in all my stays, my amenities were replaced daily. Even if you make a simple phone-call to request for more, the staff will deliver it to you in no time. So sometimes it takes them 10mins to get to you. BIG DEAL! It’s not catastrophic. It amuses me that some people come for a holiday and yet allow themselves to stress and write bad reviews about the smallest of things. How do you intend to enjoy or unwind with such a bad attitude?

Room service has been impeccable in all my stays, and I safely say the same for all my 150 hotel guests who came for the wedding in December ’16 as well. Again, sometimes room service is going to take time, it is not a big deal. The hotel is not only serving JUST YOU (as many would like to think), they are serving hundreds at a time and it would be nice if you wish to receive 5 star service, for you to behave worthy of it.

Tesco bar by the poolside has always given us excellent service. The bar Manager goes out of his way to ensure you are comfortable. We have always complimented him and make it a point to meet and greet him every time we go back. On a side note, the bar chairs at Tesco are not for people who come out of the pool wet and dripping, regardless of how high and mighty you think you are. And if people had the decency to think logically they would not need to be told to move over to the designated pool chairs and complain about being offended. I have always found that following the rules gets you a lot more liked by others.

The hotel breakfast in the morning is just amazing. It’s a feast. With more than 100 Malay, Chinese, Indian and International cuisine dishes, I simply cannot understand how one would ever be bored eating in such a fun place. I loved all my breakfasts at Double Tree JB because I got to try so many different cuisines each time. To be honest, I look forward to breakfast every morning and have never booked a stay without breakfast!

As long as this review is, I truly have grown to love this hotel and I find it only fair for potential guests to read about all the great things this hotel has to offer. I am a returning guest and I have never faced any issue which was not solved with just some understanding or initiative on MY own part. They excel in their service provision and go out of their way to make sure you truly feel happy.

Trust me, if anything is not to your liking, all you got to do is tell them and I can safely promise you, Double Tree JB will “Make It Right” for you.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Simon M, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2017

Dear Janet_Amrit

Thank you for your intriguing and inspiring review. Its always great to get feedback in this or any other forum, but certainly more intriguing to open up the discussion as to why social media is becoming the platform for the anonymous voice of the disenchanted.

Firstly thank you very much for your positive comments on the hotels services and the Team. Coming from a regularly returning guest, this means a lot and is very valuable motivation for the Team and our quest to strive for perfection. Our "Make It Right" commitment is there to back us up as we are not perfect and never will be. We err from time to time, but genuine service recovery often wins more hearts than making mistakes loses. So of my closest guest affiliations have come from resolving real issues were we have got it wrong. I am the first to admit when we get it wrong and often reach out to guests personally whilst in house in an attempt to turn situations around.

Feedback and our reaction to it underpins the betterment of our business. We review feedback from our own guest survey system and all social media feeds every day in a meeting with the entire management team. We call guests if and when required and respond by email where ever possible to acknowledge feedback, good or bad. Call me old fashioned, but an email or a written note from a guest clearly identifying themselves, be it good or bad feedback still seems more tangible and honest for some reason.

The transition from human interaction more toward digital interaction has as you note has someone "dulled" our ability as hoteliers to be truly personable in the delivery of hospitable. When you receive feedback from a guest still residing in the hotel on this site of Facebook, its is as if they don't want to interact with a person, when this is actually what hospitality is really about. We of course act on these issues, but a quick calm phone call as you note will always ensure a faster and more understanding response as appose to capitalized admonishment via Messenger.

Social media has certainly given the consumer a stronger voice and for that all service related industries this is a positive. The unfortunate side of social media or blog forums is that some view them as a portal to "vent" when the product does not meet their expectations after the fact. This as I often point out to many people in this forum is pointless. We have our "Make It Right" service guarantee in place to encourage guests to voice any concerns so we can attempt to resolve at the time. Complaining after the fact in an anonymous forum achieves nothing and leaves us feeling disheartened as we no opportunity to turn the situation around. Often when responding to such reviews, I also message the reviewer personally and encourage them to take up their dialogue with me directly, but very few ever respond.

Given the amount of people that take to social media to highlight their thoughts and expectations, which at time are sadly not aligned with what we offer, I have to suggest that had a similar amount of time being spent investigating the hotels facilities and their rate inclusions, they may have left much happier. Put simply, false expectations are not grounds for complaint or ridicule on social media. Given the amount of information available on our own website and social media, there is really no excuse for false expectations or assumptions.

Thank you again for your encouraging words and the reality check for would be bloggers. We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru

Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

Room is clean. See through glass of shower room that comes with a automation bind that's controlled by a switch inside toilet.
Beds are clean.
It's quite a new hotel but there is a stale smell when we enter especially when aircon is switched off. The floor is carpeted which I don't like.
We requested for harder pillows and they recommend organic foam pillow. It came and I saw a strand of hair of one of them so I guess they do not change the pillow case after every use.
Lunch has variety but I didn't reunite enjoy it.
Breakfast was more enjoyable for me. Individual preference.
Shopping was done at City Square with dinner at a back lane alley behind Wong ah Fook Road , dark and smelly but with very nice local food like the 2 huge BBQ Belachan chilli grilled stingray, 1 bbq belachan chilli sotong, char Kway Teow, black carrot cake, Oyster Egg ( one of the best I tasted so far , only RM10, comes with generous servings of fresh and succulent oysters ).
And oh yah, at check out, Hilton gave us a big piece of cookies, freshly baked . Very nice gesture. Taste good, with nuts and Chico chips.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business
Simon M, General Manager at Doubletree By Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2017

Dear AQUALUNA1,

Thank you for taking time to complete a review after your recent stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback on our service and facilities.

I am delighted to hear that our service and facilities generally met with or exceeded your expectations. Equally pleasing is your comment on our signature DoubleTree cookie - it is our unique to say "welcome" and we are glad to hear that you have enjoyed it!

On the other hand, I was disappointed to read there was issue pertaining to pillow cleanliness. it is neither acceptable or in line with our normal high standards and we have discussed them at length to ensure we do not have a reoccurrence.

Thank you once again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

The hotel room is new, clean and comfortable.
Nearby to the town. Additional charges for in- house parking is a slight setback but in overall it is fine. Food selection was good and reasonably priced. The multiple selection of pillow is appreciated.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled on business

Dear Saaran K,

Reviewed 9 January 2017

i have read alot about Doubletree by Hilton and finally got a chance to experience it on my own.

My family and I stayed for a night over the last weekend. We arrived rather late in the night hence check-in was smooth due to no people at that hour. And, the famous cookies were aplenty and warm to touch! A nice gesture for all guests!

The hotel has a big lobby with a lot of chairs and tables for sitting. Guests can just lounge around without the pressure of having to order/buy anything cos it is really a pure area for sitting around!

The rooms were definitely up to standard except that there were stains on the toilet screen.

The one which I would like to commend most was the hotel breakfast! The spread was amazingly good. There's even ice cream and fro-yogurt served. A must try is the Indian station. The thosai and the veg masala I had were awesome!

The wait staff were all friendly and warm. Good service standard!

Good location too. I would definitely recommend it to all!

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family

Dear VeraTan17,

We were thrilled to read that you have enjoyed the hotel and its facilities during your stay with us. We are certainly blessed with an enviable location, however most important for me is that you found the team helpful and welcoming.

I am also excited to hear that you find our extensive breakfast to your liking and your kind comments are much appreciated - we would certainly share with the team as it is always a great motivation to note we have added value to a guest's stay.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Stayed here 3 days 2 nights

Location :
- strategic and accessible. Middle of the city.
- hotel guests parking rate is rm10 per day.
- outside hotel, there's mini mart and mamak style on the left side
- about 15mins walk to Metro Jaya/Komtar
- if you adventurous to walk to the street to 'Pasar Karat' or bazaar area or JBCC Mall, walk abt 20-30mins.

Food:
- love their signature cookie. So nutty and delicious
- Makan Kitchen has alot of food selection and the service provided are good. Attentive staffs.
- same goes to Executive lounge too - friendly staff with good food. Always love to hang round there for tea time and have a cuppa of wine.

Room :
- Love the room!We are given free upgrade to suite, feels like staying in a service apartment. Got small kitchen with washing machine, microwave. A living room section with sofa, separated from the room.
- it's spacious!
- room clean and air conditioning is cold

Totally enjoyed my stay here! Will surely come back if there are chance and have promotion.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AgnesCPM

Dear AgnesCPM,

The signature warm DoubleTree Chocolate Chip cookie is our unique way of saying 'welcome' and we are glad to hear that you have enjoyed it! Should you crave for more or wish to take it home and share with your loved ones, we do have them in tins available for sell at our grab & go cafe, the Food Store.