“Undeserving of Top 5”

Cafe BLD at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
Ranked #6 of 1,244 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: International
Description: This all-day dining restaurant's casual and creative menu serves up international cuisine with a local touch, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner in Johor Bahru. Our live cooking stations provide guests with a unique and memorable dining experience. Our restaurant is now open for a la carte dine-in for fully vaccinated guests. All set up will adhere to hygiene SOPs and social distancing as outlined by the local authorities. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Reviewed 29 July 2019

Stayed a week and had breakfast everyday. One morning I was showed to a table and hence placed my bag on the seat to go and get my food. When I return, I was told to move by some other guests and the same waitress that showed me the table, just stood there and watched. Didn't want to cause a scene, so I moved. However, this is really unacceptable service in a 5 or 4-star hotel. Service staff are pleasant enough but not very professional. Also, there was a hair in the cheese bowl at the omelette station, and when I pointed it out, instead of changing the bowl, the waitress simply took out the hair in front of me and left the bowl right there!!! Shocking.

Overall the food is just acceptable.

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank ID196507
chef_Mahady, Director of Food and Beverage at Cafe BLD at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2019

Dear ID196507,

Firstly, please accept my sincere deepest apologies for the incident you have experienced as it's not our standards at all and for this, we are truly sorry and please ensure that we are focusing on more training and without any excuses to ensure we meet the required standards and meet if not exceed our guests expectations.

Please let us know when you're planning to come back to Johor Bahru for us to meet up and re-gain your loyalty and confidence with us. I can be also contacted on the e-mail below if you would like to share with me any further details and observations.

Best regards

Mohamad Mahady
+601131326606

Write a reviewReviews (358)

Reviewed 26 July 2019

Hard to be enthusiastic about hotel buffet lunches and dinners. It is, after all, catering to the masses. A few patrons from other countries can sometimes behave like "pigs at a trough" but overall, the food is diverse, varied and lends itself to mass production, self service and, in the end, you always have the option of choosing from their a la carte menu. Service can sometimes suffer when things get busy but I only experienced this at breakfast.

Date of visit: July 2019
2  Thank Lawrence Y
chef_Mahady, Director of Food and Beverage at Cafe BLD at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2019

Dear Lawrence Y

I am glad we have a very honest and detailed review which will help us make the necessary changes and refinement in our offerings.
I understand that some guest might seemed overwhelmed with the offerings and or are just simply hungry where they might have acted like "pigs at a trough" and for that, i apologize for their behavior which has obviously offended you.
We're keeping in mind the vast amount of nationalities that patronize the Cafe BLD as to why we have a large selection and mostly Asian influenced cuisines making sure we at The Renaissance keeping it 'indigenous' as much as possible.
Breakfast, yes at the peek periods when all the folks come down can be quite an experience and service sometimes does get stacked up and for that, we apologize.

On your next visit, please lets meet up and to further share your experience and what we can do further to improve both our service and food quality.

Best regards
Mahady
Mohamad.abdullah@marriott.com

Reviewed 3 July 2019

Went this Lunch buffect last Sat. Read review in FAVE a lots people rating said good, so i went and try. Actual price RM86 and buy at Fave RM68

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank Hoyctsp
chef_Mahady, Director of Food and Beverage at Cafe BLD at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2019

Dear Hoyctsp'

Thank you for taking the time to review us and trust the judgement of other reviews to come experience yourself the selections we have.

We hope we've met or exceeded your expectations and we look forward to your next visit and any further suggestions to add on to our selections.

Again, thank you for patronizing our establishment which is very much appreciated.

MOHAMAD MAHADY ABDULLAH
Director of Food and Beverage Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel
E-mail: mohamad.abdullah@marriott.com

Reviewed 18 June 2019 via mobile

To my surprise it is the opposite of good review that this cafe received in tripadvisor.
Staff. Busy chatting rather than doing their rounds to check on guest/buffet line.
Food. Definitely not a 5 star standard base on quality and taste/flavour. The beef and lamb was tuft and hard. Pumpkin Soup blend. Satay peanut sauce-too sweet. Steam prawn-not fresh and the sauce for steam prawn is bad. Salad bar-quite good but the salad dressing is really bad. Roti nan was cold and hard.
Dessert- really bad. Dessert spread is mostly cakes. 90%
Overall I'm disappointed. Will never go back to BLD cafe.

Date of visit: June 2019
2  Thank usainliza
chef_Mahady, Director of Food and Beverage at Cafe BLD at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2019

Dear usainliza,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback. My name is MOHAMAD MAHADY ABDULLAH and I am the Director of Food and Beverage at the Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.The service you received during your recent dine in with us at Cafe BLD did not meet your expectations. For this, I sincerely apologize.

The experience you described is not characteristic of the level of service our associates strive to provide and the quality of food received is not what we're known for. I would love the opportunity to hear more about your experience in an effort to prevent this issue from occurring in the future.

Please let me know the best contact number and time to reach you, or feel free to contact me via phone anytime at +601131326606. I look forward to speaking with you in order to restore your confidence in the Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel.

MOHAMAD MAHADY ABDULLAH
Director of Food and Beverage
Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel

Reviewed 29 May 2019 via mobile

This is couple of time break fasting in premium hotel restaurant and this Cafe BLD is really did super fantastic job about theirs food and service. By highlighting the staff, Arif Azlan is the best staff that treat us last night. Great services by Arif and he showed us the best guest welcoming. The food is quite nice with that grilled outdoor satay and all. Very love it !!

Date of visit: May 2019
chef_Mahady, Director of Food and Beverage at Cafe BLD at Renaissance Johor Bahru Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2019

Dear rajaiqbal25,

Thank you for your fantastic review and positive motivating comments which has both given us the pleasure and continuous drive to provide nothing less than the best of service and food quality.

We are equally glad you broke your fast with us and was provided the best of service while enjoying almost 500 plus dishes which we managed to produce.

I've passed on your feedback to Arif Azlan whon in return as mentioned, i quote " Terima kasih dan semoga kita dapat berjumpa semula".

Looking forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Mahady Director of Food and Beverage (Former Executive Chef)