“Paradise Island”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mersing
Sea Gypsy Village Resort & Dive Base
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mersing
Reviewed 24 April 2008

We recently stayed four nights at Sea Gypsy after a two night stay in Singapore as part of a quick one week break from Perth. We wanted a beach/ diving/ snorkelling get away from it all experience. It truely lived up to our expectations.

The travelling there was hassle free. The resort picks you from Singapore and is a three hour drive to ferry. The resort website gives a detailed accurate description of what is involved. The ferry was twenty minute ride. It was really spectacular to round the island and head onto the beach we were staying at. Couldn't believe our luck. It is the archetype white sand and palm trees island. The bonus was they were having a quiet week and we were the only guest for three nights

The island has several resorts with this beach had two others on it. One looked dodgy, one was new and similiar to Sea Gypsy. Sea Gypsy has been here for a while, is very organised and seems to know what to cater for (even has own recipes for sand fly repellant which is sale). We had drinks with then owner several times . She has an eye for detailand she runs a tight ship. We can really appreciate the work she has put in as we own a caravan park in South West Australia and certainly know the work involved. Big thumbs up.

The resort consists of a bar/ restaurant, dive centre, huts scattered around. The accommodation is basic and rustic. Rooms have bed, mosquito net, ovehead fan, cold water shower. Comfortable and more than met our needs. Food was brilliant and plenty of it. All was inclusive of the price. Each days menu was listed on board. Meals are at set times during the day. Then there is the bar ....they certainly can make a mean cocktail. Staff are really friendly and helpful. We even went snorkelling with the waitresses (a Brit and Aussie girl) one afternoon.

The absolute highlight of Sibu is the beach and water. Just like in the photos. There is absolutely nothing to do but amuse yourself. No TV, computers. Basically our day was:
-get up and walk 20 metres to water, have swim.
-have breakfast, read book and check out day menu.
-go for walk to snorkel spot.
-snorkel in lovely warm water with heaps to see.
-back for lunch
-read book on beach chair.
-swim
-nap
-snorkel
-bar for drink and dinner
-bed.
Tough really!!

The big downside was we did not scuba. My husband was disappointed with this. Evidently it's jelly fish season and the dive master discouraged diving saying it would be very unpleasant. However the snorkeling off the beach was fine. The dive shop looks well organised and professionally run. I wouldn't hesitiate to do it if the conditions were better. Did I mention it was well priced.

Generally we had a fantastic time. We felt relaxed and the island is really beautiful with lovely tropical weather. It was quiet with no one selling stuff on the beach. We travel a lot and like our five star resorts but really enjoyed 'ruffing' it for a change. It was also very well priced.

I would absolutely recommend Sea Gyspy and Sibu island. More than happy to travel here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RfamilyPerth

Reviewed 4 March 2008

We went in October 2007 and stayed at the A-frame hut.
The A-frame hut was very basic but clean. We were not planning to be coop up in the room so not having a view is not a problem. besides they have a wonderful lounge area where you can sit and have a drink and read a book or just gazing out into the sea daydreaming. When you're tired of just sitting you can explore the beach, they have some interesting rock formations at the end of the beach or do some jungle trekking to the other side of the island. Apply liberal amounts of insect repellent though, i forgot to do this and got big angry itchy red dots (mosquito bite) as the result.

There were no musty smell in the room, in fact it smelled like flowers when we went in. The toilet looked like they were new, so that were good too. I read other reviewers say that they experience mould on the bed but i can't say the same for us. Of course we didn't turn the bed upside down, as we were on vacation.

The buffet did not have a large spread but what was served was great if you're not a picky eater. I especially love their salads and beef curry. Yum, yum... If you're not eating from their buffet though be preparred to wait 1/2 hour to 1 hour for your ala carte order as they are prepared from scratch.

Service was great too, very friendly and helpful staff but as they are only a handful of them, it could be slow during busy lunch or dinner time. Overall experience was great, i'm saving to go again...

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ditchwitch
Reviewed 3 November 2007

SO BEAUTIFUL BUT WE WERE RAVAGED BY THE SAND FLIES.GREAT STAFF, AND GOOD FOOD .ROOMS BASIC AND A BIT dark ,could do with better lighting in them and bathrooms would be better white.no air con but you know that when you book! Sunbeds on beach non existent -just old deckchairs.Would really help if anti mossie rings and or sprays provided in each room.Whole resort in need of some tlc but for complete geataway for 2/3 days is great.no mobile coverage,no internet.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank buffaloo
Reviewed 6 May 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed for a few days in October 2006. We were on a 3 week tour of the SE Malayaia islands and had been staying in a range of accomodation from 5 star to very basic hostels. We decided to save some money and decided to stay in the newish backpacker a-frames. For 60 RM they were an absolute bargain - It was very basic, but it certainly did the job.
I can't say what the other more expensive chalets are like, but if you don't mind 'roughing it' a bit then the aframes are fine.
The staff were all very welcoming and the relaxed/friendly atmosphere is a credit to the management. They even encouraged people to mingle with the staff by having a volley ball game etc. We ate in the restaurant for 3 meals a day and the food was very tasty/fresh and reasonably priced. It's mainly typical SE Asian food - With other more western type options if taste prefer.
The bad reviews that I have seen on here citing rubbish on the beach etc is total rubbish from what we saw.
The only negative thing was the sand flies (which is to be expected on some islands in Asia). I highly recomend you buying the anti-bug spray that they sell in the bar before you get bitten.

I personally can't recommend this place highly enough. In an area that seems to have more and more 'concrete jungle' type hotels being developed this was a totally unique experience. We are planning on going back as soon as we can!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank osdiba
Reviewed 2 November 2006

I am not one to write reviews on these sites but after visiting Sea Gypsy I felt that I had to come back and write one.

I had been planning my trip to Sea Gypsy for a few weeks and was very excited. A few days prior to my trip I came across a review that had negative feedback about the resort and I began to be a bit nervous about my upcoming holiday.

However, once I arrived my fears vanished. the resort was beautiful, well kept, and the beach it is on is fantastic. the waves did bring a bit of natural trash onto the beach however the staff quickly raked it up every morning and evening.
My husband and I stayed in a little beach hut which was clean and quite comfortable. We rarely spent any time in our room as the bar and restaurant have comfortable chairs making it quite enjoyable to have a drink and look out to the beautiful sea.

Overall I would highly recommend this resort. we had a fantastic weekend and we cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mersing
34.1 km away
25 km away
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
Aseania Resort Pulau Besar
#1 of 2 in Pulau Besar

Been to Sea Gypsy Village Resort & Dive Base? Share your experiences!