Embassy Hotel(Mersing)
Mersing Hotel(Mersing)
US$19
US$14
Priceline
Zeeadam Backpackers Hostel(Mersing)(Great Value!)
US$18
Agoda.com
US$108
US$93
US$72
TripAdvisor
All reviewsno hot waterget awaysnorkeling tripsfishmosquito netkids dinnerpulau sibuceiling fanboat rideevery eveningweekend escapetropical paradisedowntown singaporewelcome cocktailkids club activitiesbeautiful beachspecial thanks
Reviewed 4 March 2008

We went in October 2007 and stayed at the A-frame hut.
The A-frame hut was very basic but clean. We were not planning to be coop up in the room so not having a view is not a problem. besides they have a wonderful lounge area where you can sit and have a drink and read a book or just gazing out into the sea daydreaming. When you're tired of just sitting you can explore the beach, they have some interesting rock formations at the end of the beach or do some jungle trekking to the other side of the island. Apply liberal amounts of insect repellent though, i forgot to do this and got big angry itchy red dots (mosquito bite) as the result.

There were no musty smell in the room, in fact it smelled like flowers when we went in. The toilet looked like they were new, so that were good too. I read other reviewers say that they experience mould on the bed but i can't say the same for us. Of course we didn't turn the bed upside down, as we were on vacation.

The buffet did not have a large spread but what was served was great if you're not a picky eater. I especially love their salads and beef curry. Yum, yum... If you're not eating from their buffet though be preparred to wait 1/2 hour to 1 hour for your ala carte order as they are prepared from scratch.

Service was great too, very friendly and helpful staff but as they are only a handful of them, it could be slow during busy lunch or dinner time. Overall experience was great, i'm saving to go again...

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ditchwitch
Reviewed 3 November 2007

SO BEAUTIFUL BUT WE WERE RAVAGED BY THE SAND FLIES.GREAT STAFF, AND GOOD FOOD .ROOMS BASIC AND A BIT dark ,could do with better lighting in them and bathrooms would be better white.no air con but you know that when you book! Sunbeds on beach non existent -just old deckchairs.Would really help if anti mossie rings and or sprays provided in each room.Whole resort in need of some tlc but for complete geataway for 2/3 days is great.no mobile coverage,no internet.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank buffaloo
Reviewed 6 May 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed for a few days in October 2006. We were on a 3 week tour of the SE Malayaia islands and had been staying in a range of accomodation from 5 star to very basic hostels. We decided to save some money and decided to stay in the newish backpacker a-frames. For 60 RM they were an absolute bargain - It was very basic, but it certainly did the job.
I can't say what the other more expensive chalets are like, but if you don't mind 'roughing it' a bit then the aframes are fine.
The staff were all very welcoming and the relaxed/friendly atmosphere is a credit to the management. They even encouraged people to mingle with the staff by having a volley ball game etc. We ate in the restaurant for 3 meals a day and the food was very tasty/fresh and reasonably priced. It's mainly typical SE Asian food - With other more western type options if taste prefer.
The bad reviews that I have seen on here citing rubbish on the beach etc is total rubbish from what we saw.
The only negative thing was the sand flies (which is to be expected on some islands in Asia). I highly recomend you buying the anti-bug spray that they sell in the bar before you get bitten.

I personally can't recommend this place highly enough. In an area that seems to have more and more 'concrete jungle' type hotels being developed this was a totally unique experience. We are planning on going back as soon as we can!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank osdiba
Reviewed 2 November 2006

I am not one to write reviews on these sites but after visiting Sea Gypsy I felt that I had to come back and write one.

I had been planning my trip to Sea Gypsy for a few weeks and was very excited. A few days prior to my trip I came across a review that had negative feedback about the resort and I began to be a bit nervous about my upcoming holiday.

However, once I arrived my fears vanished. the resort was beautiful, well kept, and the beach it is on is fantastic. the waves did bring a bit of natural trash onto the beach however the staff quickly raked it up every morning and evening.
My husband and I stayed in a little beach hut which was clean and quite comfortable. We rarely spent any time in our room as the bar and restaurant have comfortable chairs making it quite enjoyable to have a drink and look out to the beautiful sea.

Overall I would highly recommend this resort. we had a fantastic weekend and we cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 13 September 2006

We had planned to stay at the resort for a week, but left after three nights. The resort had been left in the charge of three young staff who seemed to be gap-year students. They were very friendly and as helpful as they could be, but gave the impression that they had never run anything more complex than a school tuck-shop before. The setting is wonderful and the beach directly in front of the resort is clean and safe for kids, although the sea was too rough while we were there for our 8 year-old to try diving in the Scuba Rangers programme. Look a little further and, like many beaches in SE Asia, it is covered in plastic and rubbish. Walk 50 feet behind the hotel and the interior of the island is also covered in piles of smouldering rubbish from the many backpackers. The resort consists of a mixture of aging, dark and dilapitated chalets, and some quite new A-frames for self-catering backpackers, all built around a large, central dining and bar area. We stayed in a family chalet which had a leaky roof and beds straight out of a Hollywood POW movie, nailed together from rough sawn wood. The kids had two bunk beds in one room and we had a double in the other. Many of the bed boards were missing so the matresses sagged and the mosquito nets were full of holes. When we investigated the bedding itself we discovered it was about four-fifths covered in black mould - which is incredibly dangerous for small children and often leads to repiratory disease. Outside the chalet there were some broken plastic playground toys for toddlers badly positioned under a large coconut palm. We were on full-board and the food, prepared by the friendly Indonesian cook, was tasty if repetitive: mild meat or fish curries with rice, served in large dishes, followed by a bowl of rather dried-up fresh fruit. When our 6 year-old, who doesn't eat cooked breakfasts, helped himself to a portion of cornflakes from the backpackers à la carte breakfast buffet, we were charged extra. At high-tea the parmesan cheese served with the kids' spaghetti turned out to be one lump of green mould. This place seems to be stuck in a time warp and lacking serious on-site management. The chalets need to be knocked down and re-built to modern standards (which doesn't mean the resort needs to lose its magical Robinson Crusoe feel, but it is 2006...) Our advice: if you really want to stay there with kids, take two adjoining newly-built A-frames, eat à la carte, and check your children's bedding for mould before you sleep in it.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
5  Thank snookat
LindaWills, Owner at Sea Gypsy Village Resort & Dive Base, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2006

Working in the service industry all my life I am well aware that it is impossible to please all the people all the time so the odd bad review can be accepted. However the above review was so detailed and so incorrect I feel I really need to respond to some of the charges.

1. Although we do use gap year students for fun in some front of house jobs, e.g. restaurant, kid's club, my local Malay staff, including the resort manager, have been with me for years. We currently employ 18 local staff.
2. Our chef is Malaysian and his food is generally thought to be super. Westeners do sometimes think having rice as an accompanyment is boring but this is after all Asia!
3. The fires burning behind the backpackers are not from the backpackers rubbish. They are in fact the resort next door buring their rubbish but we have now put a stop to this and are currently turning the whole area into a garden.
4. Our chalets are up to 14 years old but we replace the wood planking and atap roofing as it needs it.
5. Our beds are wooden. There are NO wooden slats missing on ANY bed. All matresses are less than 2 years old. Neither my housekeeping staff or I have ever seen any black mold on anything as we replace everything frequently and are frankly baffled by this one.
6. If anyone has a hole in the mossy net, and it does happen since the beds are wooden, they need only ask to have it replaced and it's done IMMEDIATELY.
7. Our land is cleaned constantly and therefore beautiful. The rest of the island is indeed a mess because of the rubbish that washes up on the beaches. This comes from the mainland or passing shipping. It's enough to turn one completely "green" when having to clean up other peoples rubbish twice a day every day after high tide!

To the family that wrote this review I am truely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have printed out this posting and will be making a full investigation. We absolutely depend on repeat custom and would never wish any guest to go away disappointed, holidays are much too precious.