“What a bargain”
Review of Grand Alora Hotel

Grand Alora Hotel
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Alor Setar
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

Nice place to stay in alor star, well i can say one of the best. New hotel in town with nice and helpful staff.

Food is average which can get something better outside.

Drawback is the parking bays where its inconvenient to look for the lobby tho its marked. Construction for the convention centre is still going on which its a little nuisance.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
JohnnTing, General Manager at Grand Alora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2016

Greetings and thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us, although we are terribly sorry that the on-going construction caused a bit of an inconvenience. We will also look into other matters per your suggestion. We hope to accommodate you once again in the near future. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Grand Alora Hotel

Reviewed 18 December 2016 via mobile

Very nice place. Breakfast improved tremendously from the last time around. Rooms sound proof, n bed, pillows duvet very comfortable. Definitely my choice in Alor setar. Lots eateries down the road. Room service good food.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business
JohnnTing, General Manager at Grand Alora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2016

Greetings and thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We hope to accommodate you once again in the near future. Thank you.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

It has been a while since I visited Alor Setar. In fact, most of my visits here have been day trips for business, not needing us to get hotel accommodation. This time around I had to attend a wedding ceremony and thought perhaps I would do a slow drive with the family and enjoy the view. May be this wasn't too good an idea. The highways were blocked due to one mishap or the other and we spent over 7 hours traveling. Some people I bumped into said they spent over 12 hours on the road! Anyway, this is nothing to do with the hotel. But what was the hotel's problem and becoming a little annoying was that I was harassed by the hotel at least 3 times as to the time I was checking in. Funny thing was that I called at about 7.30pm to tell them we will be late and not to cancel our reservations after trying for more than 15 minutes because no one was manning the phones. They said it was fine. Then at 8.30pm, I received another call to ask again if I was coming! When I told them I had called earlier to confirm, they told me they did not receive the message. This did not end there. I received another call at 11pm and another at 2am. Seriously, what's your problem? I booked the room from booking.com and it is mentioned that the first night is fully charged to my credit card, so its covered. honestly, what's your problem?

I arrived at about 3.30am we arrived at the hotel after an ordeal on the road. The hotel was dark, quiet and a little scary. If I had not stretch my neck over the counter I would not have known if someone was manning the hotel. They did find my reservations but what was interesting that their credit card terminal had issues.They tried 2 of my cards to get a verification for check in and they could not get a response from their bank centre. What came after that was a problem. At 4 am in the morning, the receptionists asks for a equivalent of USD 500 in cash for the deposit! Where on earth am I going to find a teller at such Godly hours in the morning! Also, Booking.com already have my credit card details and already charged a night!

Parking was terrible. Although a multi-storey car park is available, their barrier isn't working and i could hardly find a parking at early hours of the morning. I would have been forced to park my car off the street!

At least the bellboy was awake to get our luggage up in our room. The room was modern and quiet acceptable. Although, the room is dim and despite all the lights being up, it is still quite dark and can pose a hazard for the elderly. However, what was worrying is that the toilet smelled and it was obvious it was not cleaned throughly. More importantly, the tap water was filthy! I was wondering why the towel looked discoloured, seeing the tap water I now know why. The filthy water is everywhere. You can even see it in the swimming pool (see pictures). Just think about it, if the water is everywhere, the same water is used in the drinks, food and everything else. Looking at the huge number of people taking breakfast, one have to wonder how much additional sediment is now in their bellies. Whilst the EPA says rust is not a major health hazard, one might have to ask if this is more than rust because the reception to us that it is from a burst pipe??!! Not sure if it is just in our heads, but taking a bath with the water caused allergies to my wife and one of my kids. I had red eyes, which took about a day to clear. The bath was also clogged up and as you can see in the picture, of which while taking a shower you can have a mini pool filled with dirty water up to your ankles. When calling the maintenance, they told us that they are short of staff to do unclog the drains for us. Short of staff? for maintenance? Really?

We planned for two nights stay and really could not do this. But at least when we wanted to check out, they let us be. We checked out in the morning, attended the wedding and headed straight to Penang where we booked rooms in the last minute. The reception check out took a bit of time as there are only 2 staff taking care of the counter.

So, what is the overall verdict for this hotel? I would not say that it was a pleasant stay and with all these issues I am one who would not rate it very high. I must say though that the morning reception staff were at least pleasant and courteous. In the past, I have been very generous of my reviews of the hotels etc. and have not rated any place as "poor" so easily. And from my many reviews, readers know that I have been quite honest about things and write very sensible reviews. In this case, I hope the readers would understand why would rate this hotel as poor, at that this is a very sensible and appropriate review of the conditions there. The only reason I have given it as 2 stars is because the hotel is new and decor looks acceptable. Other than a few polite staff, I do not see anything attractive to his hotel. Maybe some see the big TESCO across the street as a plus point, and some of the shop lots a convenience (such as the 7-11); it is not enough to redeem the reputation of this hotel as one of the upcoming hotels in Alor Setar. This is most unfortunate, as I was looking forward to seeing Alor Setar having a decent hotel. Hopefully they will do better.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank tkzrea
JohnnTing, General Manager at Grand Alora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2016

Thank you for completing a review based on your recent visit. We are deeply sorry that we have failed to meet your deliberate expectations during your stay. We can ensure you that we will carry a thorough review based on the issues that you have mentioned above. If you have the opportunity to visit us once again, kindly ask for my assistance so that i could personally provide you with the utmost assurance of what you were expecting from Grand Alora Hotel. Thank you once again for choosing to stay with us.

Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

Our journey up north was delayed due to several incidences. However, the easy & fast check-in process to our hotel room soothed our nerve especially the driver.
Furthermore, the hotel's strategic location allows us to have our dinner without having to drive out. There's also convenience store nearby and TESCO hypermarket is situated opposite the hotel.
The room meets our expectations with modern layout.
We were unable to enjoy the hotel's facilities (e.g pool, gym, etc) due to our short stay (1 nite).

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
JohnnTing, General Manager at Grand Alora Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2016

Reviewed 9 December 2016 via mobile

booked 2 rooms and stayed for 3 nights using traveloka apps with a cheaper rate and discount voucher. due to the peak season, we weren't able to get connecting rooms nor in the same level. we got a room at level 6 and level 13. the view is great and the amenities are complete in the upper floor. the staffs are friendly.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family

Greetings, we thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We also value your constructive comments and we will look into the matter indefinitely. We hope to accommodate you once again in the near future. Thank you.