KB Backpackers Lodge
G Home(Kota Bharu)
US$53
US$47
  • Pool
My place Guest House(Kota Bharu)(Great Value!)
US$10
  • Breakfast included
US$32
US$20
Priceline
Lee Guesthouse(Kota Bharu)(Great Value!)
Hostelworld.com
The Room @ Zishi(Kota Bharu)(Great Value!)
US$85
US$76
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 May 2015 via mobile

+ Very nice and cozy place to stay, 15 RM for a bed in 6 beds dorm.
+ The hostel owner is very nice and very helpful!
+ Cozy living room.
+ Possible to rent bikes, maps provided!
- Bathrooms could be a bit cleaner.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sina21
Reviewed 27 November 2014 via mobile

This might not be the fanciest hostel you've ever stayed in but it is clean and the rooms are absolutely reasonable ( we paid 35 ringgit for a double room with fan and shared bathrooms)
What makes this hostel special is the friendliness and hospitality of the owners. Not only are they very laid back and give you time to settle in before you book in and pay, they also are there if you have any kind of question and here to give any kind of travel info you might need.
They help you with booking buses and coaches, offer city or jungle trip tours, give you tips for interesting things to do around town or where to find good and cheap food.
They are very lovely and welcoming people and that's what makes your stay a little bit more special.
They have free wifi, a laundry service, a pc you can use, a little chill out area where you can watch DVDs, a library where you can lend, buy or swap books, and even a work-out zone if you want to pump some iron.
The area is good too with the local bus stop as well as the central market round the corner, the night market not even 5 minutes away and a 7 eleven is across the road

Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank team-sox
Reviewed 4 October 2014

I stayed here for one night en route to the Perhentians. Note it is directly across the street from the similarly named KB Backpackers Inn. I wish I could say wonderful things about it: the rooms and washrooms, although dated, were clean, spacious, and bug-free. The shower was weak, but a consistent hot. The owner and staff were wonderful at pointing out what I will need before continuing to the Perhentians - get cash, where the bank is, offered boat tickets. And the hostel is very conveniently located just around the corner from the bus stop! However my room could have housed an army of smokers for the past century. I don't have asthma thankfully, but my sinuses plugged up, my throat nearly cracked, and it was impossible to sleep. I developed a pneumonia that plagued me for the next 2 weeks of my trip as a result. If it weren't for coughing up green phlegm and the occasional blood for the rest of my travels, I would recommend this place

Room Tip: My terribly smoky room was the first single room along the hallway on the 3rd floor - do not stay there! (Unless you smoke)
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Awesome backpacker hostel - rooms are cheap but very clean. There is an excellent library, gym (which is unusual for a hostel) and roof top hang out area. Pawi (the owner) is extremely helpful and knows the Kota Bharu really well (sights and places to see and bus times etc.) and can organise trips around the city and to cameron highlands and taman negara. You can also hire bikes to check out the city from the hostel.

The dorm I stayed in was a nice 6 bed dorm. The hostel is less than 5 minute walk from the main bus station and good places to eat.

I would definitely stay at KB backpackers again!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I don't count anymore how many times I stayed at this place. I use it as a hub to go to Perhentians and every time when I return from there. I stayed there twice this year in July.

I come to KB Backpackers Lodge because of the few reasons. It is very conveniently located in the centre of Kota Bharu and the BUS station is 10 steps away from the place. You can use BUS station to get very cheap transport to Kuala Besut (6RM) or to the Airport (3RM) or anywhere around Malaysia with long distance buses.
Another, even more important reason is that this place is simply cool and I like to meet with Pawi who is very relaxed and cool person. Those who are into cycling you will have hours to talk about.
I like Kota Bharu overall and spirit of the city is also caught in this place. Kota Bharu might not be for everybody but those who enjoy a flavour of good Malaysian food, a bit of history and culture will enjoy here for a day or two very much. Durring Ramadan you will be also able to visit a food market that is near the National stadion and you can try all the best Malaysian dishes. I came many times to Kota Bharu and and I can describe it as most relaxed city on planet earth. Reason -> people.
If I go back to the description of the accommodation I can say that KB Backapackers lodge is offering two types of accomodations. More like a hotel type rooms that are stretching towards Azam hotel. These rooms have its own air con and attached bathroom. Besides that there are also simple backpackers rooms which are really cheap and they offer enough commodity if you are a of course that type of traveler. I took this classic standard backpacker rooms and I got a room for 20RM per nite. Bathroom is shared and this is one of the things that definetely need some renovation as I had problem to find a shower has enough preasure. There were 4 cabins with shower on my floor, so no problem you will find one. There is also a free Wi-Fi in the building and that is definetely a plus. For sure I will sure return again here as it is very cool place on which I have very good memories and I like to return and greet Pawi while there.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Flashpackers can take newer rooms. Backpackers can take the true classic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo