“Overall a nice place, but sometime you do not understand their mentality.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palm Beach Resort & Spa

Palm Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Labuan Island
Joensuu
“Overall a nice place, but sometime you do not understand their mentality.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2016

This is indeed a nice resort. It is the only one in Labuan that attached with a beach. If you know the history of the plant, it is definitely worth for what the price I paid.

Let's talk about good point first.
The location is far from town, but very quiet. It is perfect, if you want to find a peaceful place to lying down reading books and get a sunburn.
Swimming pool is big.
Rooms are BIG!
The staffs are polite and friendly.
Breakfast, not much, but sufficient.
F&B in the resort, the price is ok. Once you are here, no need forcing yourself going out.

Complaint
There are too many sandflies even at the poolside. I am sure something can be done, though actually it is not the resort's fault.

Something I cannot understand.
At the moment I arrived at the hotel, during checking-in of my three nights of stay, I have been noticed that the hotel has no electricity, the power only could be recovered after 2PM. Later, I was told that the time changed to 5PM. About 5 PM, in my room, I got electricity back. Which was fine. The following day, housekeeping came to my room and asked me to call to the front desk. I called to the front desk, they told me that I had to move to another room, due to the unsolved electricity issue. The front desk staff promised me that a hotel staff will help me move the luggage. After I packed everything, I informed the front desk and a housekeeping staff came to my room later, without bringing any trolley. It ends up as my friend and I have to bring most of my luggage by ourselves. As the result, we moved from block 2 to block 3. The new room was smelly!

The thing that I could not understand is, I booked the hotel in two weeks in advance. If block 2 has a power issue, then why have to put me at block 2 at the first place (I have to say that block 2 has a better elevator and the room is also better. So I have to value their efforts to provide the best to customers.)? The staff suppose to help us move the room, why did not bring any trolley? Asking customer changing rooms is already an embarrassment for a hotel, I cannot understand why they put us in a smelly room, while the hotel is empty and I believe there are lots of better rooms they can upgrade us to, as an apology.

It was just too much drama for a holiday.

There's another issue. The hotel has a very good swimming pool, and an awesome poolside bar! My friend and I went to the bar, trying to order some drinks. You know what happened? They cannot charge to our room! Either during check-in, we put a deposit at front desk, or have to bring a credit card or cash to pay at the poolside bar! Do you think somebody already paid few hundred Ringgit for the room will running away just to avoid paying 10-20 Ringgit poolside bar bill? As the result, we could not spend any money at poolside.

Then the breakfast, I have to say the breakfast is acceptable. The fruits are high quality. They even have 2-3 chefs cooking laksa, kwetiau and so on so on, at least 5 (I think) diffent types of noodle. Yet, they are really cutting cost from bread. The bread they served for the breakfast was really the cheap one from the supermarket. I do not know why they have to be so particular of noodle.

Room Tip: choose rooms from Block 2, the elevator is better.
  • Stayed October 2016, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

Stay here for 6 days, after urban Kota-Kinabalu. I really enjoyed every minute in this hotel. Friendly staff on the reception and all around the hotel, always can help you.
There is free shuttle bus to the town/airport and back to the hotel, was very convenient to go to the hotel and back.
The pool is great with pool bar in it. The price for food and beverage is cheap, cheaper then in Kota-Kinabalu. The food is tasty and delicious. Had dinner often in the hotel.
The breakfast has various choose of food, can't be hungry, really satisfied with breakfast.
The sea is just in front of the pool, many facilities to seat near the sea, beautiful view.
Had room in the second block on the 4th floor in the corner, it'd enormous huge and comfortable. You can find everything in. Big clothes storage, can put all your suitcases inside. There are bathtub and shower in the bathroom, you can choose what do you like more.
Strongly recommended to come here.

Stayed October 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Inesochka
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

This hotel is located at one of the most beautiful spot in Labuan. Nice beach and an amazing sunset. However, the facilities and also the staff attentiveness is below par.

With a bit of sprucing up, this place can be very much desirable again.

Stayed October 2016, travelled on business
Brunei-Muara District, Brunei Darussalam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

The best getaway we as friends could have!! Although we got only one day!
The best mesmerizing place to be in❤️ the pool and the guys by the pool bar are awesome!
Will be revisiting surely!
The corner room with the view was mind blowing. Must do more than 2days to enjoy every corner of that resort!

Stayed September 2016, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2016

Overall ambience 7/10: Quiet, Relax, a little old but clean & no smell

Staff 10/10: Very friendly,knowledgeable,& helpful (You can even ask about Brunei
information other isles information etc. they all are aware of everything
XD) Besides, they always smile ! When I wrote a mail to them, they
would reply asap

Room 7/10: Spacious. I stayed in a room with a balcony opposites the front ocean
view. So you can sleep with the ocean sound! Pretty cool!!! However,
they forgot to clean the bathtub... and the hotel doesn't offer safes.
Considering the time the hotel was built, everything seems old@@

Facilities 8/10: Clean. Free Wifi (not strong but ok for FB, IG, & reading news. )
Shuttle service is free! However, if the hotel could offer more routes
would be better, like to Layang-Layang Beach, where you can
capture the sunset view !

Restaurant: 6.5/10 : No so many choices but it is ok.

Neighborhood 8/10: Beachhhhhhhhhhhh and forestttttttttttttttttttt.
You can rent bikes to go to Layang-Layang Beach

Others: Overall, this hotel is nice to stay in Labuan for 2-3 days, but I stayed 4 days which is a little bit too much XD

Room Tip: Make sure that your balcony's window is open, then you can sleep with ocean sound!
  • Stayed September 2016, travelled solo