“good location, clean rooms with wifi”
Review of Tambun Inn Hotel

Tambun Inn Hotel
Ranked #58 of 63 Hotels in Ipoh
Reviewed 27 August 2012

we stayed for 3 nights, and it was great value for money. the room we stayed in was clean, linens were clean, and there were some cute wall decorations. room was definitely refurbished. the room that we stayed in was very spacious. free (&quick) wifi connection was provided. we were very satisfied and would definitely recommend others and will be going back to stay if we ever go to ipoh for a visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank mckenzie79_03
There are newer reviews for Tambun Inn Hotel

Reviewed 29 October 2011

Rather than having the name tambun inn, they should have named it cockroach hideout!! There were cockroaches everywhere!!! Water pressure was low on the sink and they even removed the knobs in the water heater to stop the guests from adjusting them. I seriously regret choosing this darn place!! The carpets were dirty and the lighting was very poor especially in the corridors. I think they are running a loss... But who cares?? I can stay in JB for the same price and get a better room!!!

• Stayed: November 2010
16  Thank kanna_28
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Not our hotel of choice but EVERYTHING was booked out in Ipoh and Tambun when we started looking for accoms; around 6:30pm after the waterpark closed (Lost World is a fantastic & cheap day out with animals, tigers, petting zoo, water rides etc). We were there on a Public Holiday.

The kind manager at the lovely 'Lost World Hotel' even offered us a bed in his own home if we failed to find some accoms soon... so nice of him but as luck would have it and so we didn't impose on him unless essential we persevered and found 2 rooms left at Tambum Inn Hotel (just down the road from Lost World Hotel and the waterpark).

The previous review of 2008 pretty much sums the place up except the bathrooms have obviously been upgraded since then (they looked pretty new actually). Proper western toilet with seats, okay shower pressure (hot water), large bathroom for a budget motel of this type but still the thin towels! :)

Room was the lead in basic room as that was all that was available. The front desk manager did not want to show me at all saying "you won't want to stay here, this is a local hotel for local people, it won't be good enough for you". I told him I'd make up my own mind but would not take a room without viewing it first. Finally he relented and showed me one of the 2 rooms left (we took both as 2 couples travelling together).

THE ROOMS: were very basic in terms of furnishings and bed covers etc however that was fine for us. Both were very, very large rooms with a double bed and a single bed, a fridge (no mini bar), TV, wardrobes and places to put your suitcases up off the floor. Tiled floor. Bed lamps. Air con worked well. No fan in our AC room. Big mirror over dressing table. Rooms were very clean.

Bed sheets, while old, were very clean and bed was very comfortable (not soft, but not super hard either).

We were on ground floor down the long corridor with old, musty carpet (room itself tiled though) like the previous reviewer.

The 2 negatives I have are:
(1) there is a karaoke bar above the hotel and they sang loudly and badly until about 1am. This did keep me from fully sleeping until then however hubby dozed right off. My friends said they put in earplugs and went straight to sleep with no issues.
(2) the manager was not overly friendly although the young chap on the next morning was nice enough.

I would have rated 'sleep quality' higher in terms of bed comfort (say 4/5) but only 1/5 for noise from the karaoke bar and then 4/5 for the rest of the night hence my 3/5 overall rating!

There is a cafe attached to hotel as well but we only had drinks there as it was empty and we prefer to eat at places that are busy with high turnover of fresh food. They did make a lovely, cold lemon drink for me though and hubby said the beer was cold they bought to the room for him.

At 98RM (higher than normal due to being a public holiday) we found it perfectly fine for a clean, budget one night transit stop before heading to the Cameron Highlands the next morning. We would try and stay elsewhere next time for better ambience but if stuck would certainly stay here again with no issues (but I'd bring earplugs)! :)

Room Tip: Ask for room AWAY from karaoke bar
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
15  Thank wishtago...
Reviewed 26 March 2008

I was a little worried about staying here, but it was fine.
We paid 98 RM for one night. We stayed on the ground floor and it was pretty quiet. I did hear that you could hear the kareoke if you were on the first floor.
We checked in without problems. The carpet in the hallway was so dirty/old. Fortunately there was no carpet in the room. We had a twin bed and a full size bed. The beds were much softer than the usual rock hard SE asian beds, which was nice. The room was clean. we had a fridge - no minibar. we had a TV with a few channels. there was an ashtray in the room, but I did not smell smoke. You can usually smell smoke in the reception area.
the bathroom was small. There was a "western" toilet, but no toilet seat or lid! shower was right next to the toilet and you could have a hot shower if you wanted. thin towels were provided. there was a soap dispenser on the wall. It was basic.

Stayed: March 2008