“Delicious pandan chicken ”
Review of Yum yum

Yum yum
Ranked #33 of 712 Restaurants in Ipoh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 December 2018 via mobile

Visited on 23rd Dec 2018 for dinner.

Advisable to make a reservation before going there. The staff to take order is friendly and will give advice on the portion of the dish and which is recommended. The pandan chicken is the most recommended.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank Loey1031
Write a reviewReviews (116)

Reviewed 25 September 2018 via mobile

Food here is quite tasty. Love the Pandan chicken and fish head curry. The decor is nice but may be a bit too cramp to certain people. I would love it more if the seating wasn't that cramp up.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank ericcpk
Reviewed 21 June 2018

I've grown up eating and cooking good nonya (straits chinese and my family heritage is of the Melaka interpretation of nonya). They say that baba (another name for the straits chinese) mother in laws were draconian when it came to food as they valued what their precious sons would eat when they were married off. The hours my grandmother spent perfecting a simple sambal belacan is a testament to this idea. Let the review continue...

Came here for Sunday brunch after lazing at the hotel till past breakfast service. Came hungry but unfortunately also came with pretty high expectations. Ordered the following: sambal prawn with petai (stink bean), ladies fingers (okra), sambal kankong, basil chicken and white steamed rice.

Sambal prawn with petai - prawns were not fresh, sambal was not particularly outstanding and petai were on the verge of going off in that they weren't firm. Normally this dish is the first one polished off, but alas it was left half eaten. 5.5/10

Ladies fingers - outstanding dish for all of us. Vegetables were fresh and cooked to perfection, tender yet supple with a bit of crunch left and the gooey insides and seeds intact. Sambal this dish was served with was excellent. Great balance of heat, texture and taste. 8.5/10

Sambal Kangkong - Also good and was served with a slightly different sambal than the ladies fingers. But in comparison with other sambal kangkong served at hundreds of Malaysian and Singapore establishments, Yum Yum's interpretation was above average. 7/10

Basil Chicken - confused. Initial taste is intriguing. Basil and chicken are good friends but with the coconut milk, it didn't quite hit the mark. Chicken was somewhat overdone and tough, perhaps from sitting in a giant pot for hours. Beans and onions that came with the dish didn't quite add the texture and flavour that were needed. Worth ordering if you want to try something different. But wasn't mind blowing. 6.5/10

Overall, I don't think that nonya and thai quite go together. Having much experience with nonya and having dabbled in thai cuisine, I'd say keep them separate and pure. There were some nonya dishes that I felt were missing: chap chye (mixed vegetables with dried tofu and mung bean vermicelli), a whole host of pork dishes were left out likely due to halal certification, ayam buah keluak, bakwan kepeting (crab meat, prawn meat and chicken and/or pork meat ball soup with bamboo shoots). I would have thought that with Ipoh's proximity to Penang, another centre of gravity of Peranakan/Nonya culture, the nonya food here would impress. Sadly it didn't.

So I would be honest and say that if I had known they didn't serve pork I'd not have bothered. No offence to my muslim friends but nonya food without pork is like sambal without chili.

Opted to skip dessert as we weren't impressed with what was served.

Toilet was clean. Ambiance was alright, aircon worked and it wasn't sweltering hot like it was outside.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank mooman801
Reviewed 15 May 2018

Coming here was a fall back plan as we were attempting to visit another restaurant which turned out to be closed for the day. Boy...were we glad we did. The food here is great! Small and extremely obscure in location but it was brimming with diners by the time we finished. Definitely would recommend to those that wants a change from typical Ipoh fares.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank primus2211
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I have been to Yum Yum countless times over the past 15 years or so and I have never been disappointed. Their quality remains consistent and the menu has a wide variety including several Nonya dishes. A signature dish is their fish head curry, but there is so much more to choose from.

This time around we had a whole fish in curry sauce, Tau Foo, spicy Sotong, bean sprouts, rice and a couple of more dishes I cannot name, but one was a sort of Omelette Thai style and the other a spicy salad.

We completed the meal with traditional Caramel Custard. I did not pay the bill but I am sure it was as reasonable as ever.

This is a great place to dine but you can only book a table if there is a large party.

Date of visit: March 2018