Open today: 8:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Bacon1234
Deal, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews local breakfast separate dishes local wet market fresh ingredients from scratch chicken curry cooking class teacher tamarind penang
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic morning at Victor’s cooking class. We were collected promptly from our hotel and taken to the local wet market were Victor bought the fresh ingredients we would need to make our dishes as well as a coffee and traditional Malaysian breakfast (all in the price). Victor was very informative and explained all about the different ingredients and answered all off our questions before driving us to his beautiful home. We were provided with “Penang Insights” aprons which we were able to keep before preparing 3 separate dishes, one fish, one chicken and one pork before sitting and eating with Victor. This has been a lovely morning made even more memorable by Victor’s cheery personality. I would recommend this to any foodies but bring with you a healthy appetite! Well done Victor

Date of experience: January 2019
PenangInsights, Owner at Penang Insights, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Mark,

Thanks for the review and recommendation.

It was nice meeting you and your wife and given the opportunity to host your cooking class on the 28th Jan. I am so glad that I got to introduce you to your first taste of Penang famous "char koay teow" at our local market.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday vacation in Penang.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Just got back from victors cooking experience and had a most wonderful time. Victor took us around the local wet market and then bought us a selection of the local breakfast specialities. Victor was very informative and answered our many questions. We then went back to his lovely home to cook up three separate dishes.
We learned about the paste created for the fresh Curry’s , one chicken using coconut milk and the other sweet/ sour using tamarind. In addition a vegetable and pork dish. Unfortunately our appetite did not do justice to the amazing food but Victor gifted us the aprons and recipes along with many tips so we could ( at least attempt) to re create at home. A most enjoyable day, Victor made us feel very relaxed and at home and was very amusing and informed. A delightfully time and I would highly recommend to anyone who has even the most modest interest in food.

Date of experience: January 2019

Dear Dawn,

Thanks for your prompt review and recommendation.

It was lovely to meet you and your cheeky husband. You know what I mean. I am glad to know that you both had a great time and experience sampling Penang food. We had so much leftovers that I had to share with my mother and sister. :-)

Wishing you both a great time and experience in Penang for the remaining week of your stay here.

Reviewed 26 December 2018 via mobile

We book this cooking class last minute on Christmas day, it was confirmed by Victor - our teacher within 4 hours with details in email.
He picked us up in guesthouse right on time and drove us to local market. Which we enjoyed immensely (you cannot experience anything close in Czech republic). We had local breakfast and then we headed to Victor's beatiful home. The kitchen was set up with 2 cooking station and all utensils. We appreciated mainly the fact that Victor adjusted the recipes according to our wishes and preferences. After discussion we ended up cooking chicken curry, fish tamarin curry and eggplant stir fry. We prepared everything from scratch including our own curry paste and spices.
After Victor's guidance all dishes turned out beatifully and we really enjoyed our lunch.
Victor shared with us recipes and photos from class. We got to keep Penang Insight apron, which was thoughtfull gift and nice suvenir.
Victor made us feel really welcome and comfortable in his home and we overall it was 5-star experience. We can highly recommed it

Radka and Ondra

Date of experience: December 2018
PenangInsights, Owner at Penang Insights, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2018

Dear Radka and Ondre,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. And most of all, thanks for choosing Penang Insights for your cooking class and local experience of our tradition shopping fresh at a local wet market.

It was indeed a pleasure of mine to be able to share with you. Likewise I enjoyed listening and learning from your story telling about how you celebrate your Christmas tradition back home in Czech Republic.

Wishing you both a wonderful remaining holiday in Langkawi and a safe trip home.

All the best in the new year 2019!

Victor Khoo

Reviewed 18 December 2018 via mobile

Victor is the man: witty, charming, engaging and fun. The cookery school is such a simple and easy to access thing to do..... so first.... the delightful Victor picks you up from your hotel, a sunny smile and a lovely man. He whisks you to a wet market with a commentary on the route and Penang, and the origins of Nyonya and Straits cooking - then the fun of bartering for vegetables (spoilt for choice and I wish London or Paris had something like this - Wholefoods doesn’t come close). Every question on veg and fruit answered and we head off for meat.... fussy and precise in the best way possible, we only take chicken from a specific stall, suitably trimmed and portioned to exacting needs, and then we are on to fish...... spoilt for choice we went for pomfret - again banter with the stall holder who gets it descaled, trimmed and portioned to perfection. Finally a little detour for pork mince (it’s a halal market after all) and hey presto the fun of selecting and buying your lunch is done. A short drive into Batu Feringgi and Victor’s pristine and beautifully decorated home and the student’s kitchen all laid out immaculately. Chopping, pounding, grinding and laughing later and everything is suitably trimmed, crushed and off to wok land. Victor teaches the subtlety of modest heat not to burn the delicate fragrant ingredients and the nuance of timing for the perfect lunch. We made pork and green beans, chicken curry, pomfret in coconut and rice, followed by a stunning fruit plate. We had a million laughs along the way and ultimately a wonderful relaxing and charming lunch. A perfect host and teacher, a great meal and a very worthwhile morning. Thank you so much and we can only heartily recommend!!!

Date of experience: December 2018
PenangInsights, Owner at Penang Insights, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2018

Dear Colin and Julie,

I was so delighted when you gave me the opportunity to include a private cooking class in your 3-days tailored itinerary on your third day. It was special and I had a great time hosting both of you, such wonderful and generous guest. The fun and laughter would not have been possible without your participation and interests in our Penang food culture and the surprises that came with it. I have to say...you've executed your cooking very well and your dishes tasted delicious like they were cooked by a local!

Hope we get to meet again!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 30 November 2018 via mobile

We had heard so much about Penang's amazing food and as passionate foodies ourselves we were keen to do an authentic Penang-style local cooking class during our stay.

My partner and I looked at a couple of other cooking classes but we found that Penang Insights is one of the few that caters for small groups only and reasonably priced. As we weren't really keen to be part of a big group, we decided to give it a go and we're so glad we did! From start to finish it was a wonderful way to spend the day.

Our guide Victor collected us from our hotel lobby as arranged and accompanied us to a local produce market where we chatted with the local traders and enjoyed a delicious local breakfast. During the market tour Victor bought the ingredients we'd be using during the cooking class and explained how they will be prepared which was really interesting.

This was a really enjoyable and informative way to start the day and offered a fascinating insight into the local way of life we may otherwise have missed had we ventured out on our own.

Following the market tour we travelled on to Victor's kitchen for the cooking class. This was really professional and well organised. We learned how to create three traditional Malaysian dishes from scratch using the fresh ingredients bought from the market - tamarind fish curry, chicken curry using the different spices and shrimp paste, and a delicious green bean stir fry with pork. At the end, we sat down to enjoy the dishes and it was just amazing..!!

It was a wonderful way to spend the day and the fact that it was just my partner and I enjoying Victor's undivided attention that made it all the more special.

I can highly recommend Victor and Penang Insights if you are looking for an amazing culinary experience!

Date of experience: November 2018
PenangInsights, Owner at Penang Insights, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2018

Hi Gord,

Thanks for the wonderful feedback.

I am so pleased to learn that you and your partner had a good time. It was a pleasure to meet both of you and to host your local cooking class in Penang.

The recipe handout that I have provided will hopefully inspire you to try them when you get home.

All the best!