“Return to TLWB, a Gem in Penang”

That Little Wine Bar
Ranked #146 of 979 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A neighbourhood European wine bar and restaurant with a warm and welcoming ambiance. We accept VISA and Mastercard.
Reviewed 12 December 2011

We returned after our first visit in Feb 2010 and were not disappointed at all. In fact, it's improved since last time. I love the food, the chef is quite talented (the black and white seared sesame tuna is still my favorite), they have expanded wine list and the ambiance is warm and welcoming.

Definitely check it out if you are in Penang, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

My colleague invited me for dinner at "That Little Wine Bar". Overall good experience. They do have some good selection of wine, and the food was good as I am not really a picky eater.

1  Thank Tan_0101
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Went with some colleagues from work and ordered lots of things to share. Cheese platter, ham and chorizo, salad and soups followed by the sausages and the steak.

The steak came and was cooked too rare so they took it back and prepared a fresh one and insisted that I didn't pay for it. At the same time, they offered me a glass of wine while I waited. Great service!

Steak came back properly cooked and very tasty!

Dessert good too and daily specials on the board. Worth a visit!!

Reviewed 24 November 2011

Oeuf au style Jean-Georges, textured scramble egg served with a dollop of fluffy vodka cream topped with caviar and paired with Castellblanch Gold Cava Brut. Cava is a citrusy Spanish champagne with a hint of sweetness that is fresh and balanced on the nose and palate. The acidity neutralises out the saltiness of the caviar and its un-overwhelming taste compliments creamy taste of the egg.

Hutres en marbre, whole Atlantic oysters 'marbled' in aspic vinaigrette. Aspic is a savoury gelatine made from consommé or clarified stock that is often used to preserve meat items. At TLWB, it was used to prepare a unique dish that solely consist of whole Atlantic oysters that is compressed and marbled, which is then served with a light olive oil and champagne vinegar sauce. The lightly seasoned tangy Hutres en marbre was paired with a full-bodied flowery citrusy Pacherence du Vic Bilh Folie de Roi white wine. It was tangy affair for the both.

Caille et Veau, is a meat platter of sorts with one part braised quail served with long beans wrapped in serrano ham and the other part a beefy baby tenderloin served with bread dumpling and Bearnaise sauce. This gamey and meaty platter was paired with an aged Austrian premium full-bodied wine, GOLS Rotweincuvee 2007. The GOLS’s fresh and fruity structure and well integrated tannins with an underpinning hint of dark chocolate compliments well with red meats that have a gamey taste.

The braised quail was had medium fine texture with gamey taste that was mellowed downed with the long beans and flavour enhanced with the salty serrano ham. As for the baby tenderloin, it was lightly seasoned and cooked until medium.

The night of gourmet enjoyment ended with the chefs' Assiette de "fruits", it was a three interpretations of tropical fruits that can be found in Malaysia. The dessert consist of a palate cleansing Longan sorbet, a textured mix fruit gelatine in an Isomalt cup and a rich mango with egg white mousse served together with a glass of chilled Floc de Gascogne Blanc fortified sweet wine. Its sweet almond-y, flowery and fruity flavour with hints of honey compliments as dessert wine or an aperitif.

It was like a refresher course, appreciating fine wines for their flavours and tannins (mouth feels) and pairing them with dishes prepared with French cooking techniques that compliment each other with their unique contrast in taste and texture. Would we return for more? Definitely, if time permits we would be glad to try their famous ‘Mushroom Quiches’, black cod and beef tenderloin.

1  Thank GourmetGarden
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The problem with high expectations is that you apt to be dissapointed in the end. Based on all the rave reviews here, we were looking forward to an excellent dinner. Sadly, that was not the case.

The good: Atmosphere - inviting. The staff warm, personable and friendly. It would make a great first date - not too bright or dark, cozy, and yet with a touch of class. If you consider it 'fine dining', then the price is reasonable. For reference, our dinner for two, with 3 appetizers and 2 mains came up to approx RM200 (no booze though).

The bad: There's no other way to put it - the food was poor. I tried to like it, and initially figured that perhaps the chef's creativity is not particularly suited to my palate, but there's some basic stuff that just wasn't done right. For example, foie gras was under-seared, and if you're a fan of foie gras, you'll know how mushy that gets. My beef tenderloin, I simply couldn't cut through it. I'm no chef, but I've had enough steaks to guess that it was a very poor cut of meat. That was sent back virtually untouched. Salmon tartare was decent. Chicken pate and the pork pie fills the belly, but that's about it.

As some other reviewers have mentioned, part of the appeal of this place is the chef's personal inventions, so be prepared for some fusion-istic fare. I'm a little more laidback when it comes to what I put into my mouth, so perhaps this high-cultured stuff isn't the right fit. That being said, we've tried other fine dining establishments (Savoy's, Cut, etc), and while I wouldn't go bum-crazy over them, I at the least enjoyed the food.

No desserts, but on the way back, we picked up some McD!

2  Thank nicbizz
CGLGeorgetown, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

Dear nicbizz,

We are so disappointed that we let you down the evening that you visited. We try to ensure every one of our customers has a lovely evening when they visit us, and clearly we didn't get it right for you. We do make mistakes sometimes, and in the case of the food that wasn't to your taste, we should have replaced it or removed it from your bill. We are so sorry this didn't happen on your visit.

Please accept our apologies.

Best regards,