“Excited but underwhelmed”

Ranked #133 of 967 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A neighbourhood European wine bar and restaurant with a warm and welcoming ambiance. We accept VISA and Mastercard.
Reviewed 18 October 2016

Had been highly recommended. Lovely building, very nice interior. A super menu, but didn't quite live up to expectations. Only one other table eating on a Thursday night. Service was average despite there being 3 staff working. Had the pork neck steak, but creamy mushroom sauce and oily pesto potatoes weren't a good mix...too sickly. Didn't have the cheapest bottle of rose. Other half had beef which looked and tasted good. The waiter only came to life when we left and asked for our feedback which I gladly gave. Said they are changing their menu. My suggestion...your menu is too difficult and one night a week trim it right down and cut your prices...they are too high for average quality food. I've eaten elsewhere for half what I paid here with better food. All said, it's a great place, needs some tlc from the owner...who hopefully wasn't the 'wine expert' getting drunk with two female customers...not a great sight.

2  Thank Andre - Penang
TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2016

Hello - it was not the manager/owner who got drunk with two female guests - I was in the kitchen cooking.
Yes, we have changed the menu since last Monday and it is exciting fresh, new modern - not anymore the French Bistro Style we had - but it is not for you. If you cannot appreciate a traditional western pork dish then the modern western cooking we do now is not something you would appreciate. For the prices I must say that maybe you don't go very often to western restaurants here in Penang. Very likely if you don't like the food. Our prices are very well placed in the midrange when it comes to western food. And our food is top quality. We cannot and will not compete with Wan Tan Mee places. Thank you for your review but it was absolutely unnecessary.

Reviewed 20 August 2016

I will start by saying that I concur with the owner, some of the reviews here are either fake or posted by deranged people. The place is not large enough for you to be ignored, in the few times I have visited, the staff have been very pleasant I have never had to wait more than a couple of mins for refill or wine and the food has always come our in a timely manner. I have the pleasure of chatting about wines to the English guy who works as Sommelier a couple of times. I can recommend the home made ravioli if its on the special board at the time you visit.

The only thing I would say is that the menu is rather small and a few items are more pub food than gourmet, a more varied choice would be better. I will surely visit next time I am in Penang with some guests

TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2016

Thank you very much for your beautiful review. It will be a pleasure seeing you again in our little place when you are in Penang. :)

Reviewed 5 August 2016 via mobile

No customer attention, have to wait almost 30 mn before the waiter care of me. Food is limited and could not finished my order because of its poor quality.

TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2016

Thank you for your review. Our dining room is roughly 11 meter by 5 meter. One waiter in front of the bar - 2 waiters behind the bar with full view of the whole dining room. I am pointing this out so that people understand that why you stated is simply not possible. Even when we are full to the brim. I am running this business now for almost 7 years on a daily basis. I am also the Chef. I am Caucasian. I worked with and lead brigades in some of the best restaurants in the world. I had a very very successful South-East Asia wide TV show for 3 years. I am proud to be a cook. But I must admit that I am getting bored with the likes of you. Stay real. If you actually are.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

Visited on Wednesday and it was dead. No opinion about this wine bar. Maybe it is better on weekends . A little remote

TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2016

Hello there,
thank you for your review. Unluckily we are at the moment bang in the middle of Hari Raya - the fasting month. This is the time were all restaurants on our island are pretty much empty because the locals go to the Hari Raya banquettes that offer free of charge or cheap food after the sun is down. It doesn't matter what religion you are having - you can eat there cheaply. Everybody is welcome.
It will all be over in about a weeks time and things will be back to normal. Sorry about that - but there is nothing we can do. That is how Penang works :)

Reviewed 29 March 2016

Very good wine list to choose from and imagine it would have a nice atmosphere with more of a crowd. Unfortunately it was empty when we visited mid-week so really lacked atmosphere which was a shame as the wine was really lovely. Lacked the quality and service of a place like Georgetown Wines but would be willing to go again perhaps when a bit busier as definitely has potential for a nice night out.