“Thursday night wine soirée worth it” 5 of 5 bubbles

That Little Wine Bar
Ranked #150 of 870 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Wine Bar, French, European, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A neighbourhood European wine bar and restaurant with a warm and welcoming ambiance. We accept VISA and Mastercard.
seattle
“Thursday night wine soirée worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This was my 3rd trip to Penang over the last
7 years and each time I keep coming back here as it's great western food and a fun atmosphere.This time I happened to be in town for their weekly Thursday evening wine tasting event and it was well worth it, for 58 Ringgit you get three glasses of wine and an appetizer with it.

Visited February 2017
TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your ind review :) It was a fun night. See you next time when you are in town?
Greetings
Tommes

San Francisco, California
“Friendly people, good wine...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2016

If you like wine and had enough of food stalls, this is a cozy spot with very friendly staff.

They have a very large wine list by the bottle - prices seems to be comparable to elsewhere in George Town. There are only 3 by the glass: sparkling, white or red for about RM22 each, which is very reasonable for Penang. The Prosecco wasn't to my taste (but I should have known better than to order it since my preference is French Champagne), but both the red and white by the glass were decent.

There is an ample-sized menu of western/european dishes. There are a modest number of choices for vegetarians, but it was enough.

The cheese platter came with some warm, sliced baguette. This is easily the best bread I've had in Southeast Asia. The portions of cheese were large, and it was 6 different types. Considering where we are, it was an ok selection (but if you are expecting variety and quality like you would get in France, you will be disappointed).

My boy had the beef special - a beef tenderloin on top of spinach with some mushrooms and a sweet potato mash, topped with red wine sauce. The beef was well-prepared and tasty, the mash was a bit strange. I opted for the watercress soup with a poached egg, which had great flavor but the soup was luke warm and the poached egg was actually cold... had it been served at a proper temperature, it would have been good.

The staff was all very nice and friendly. It was pouring rain and they offered to call us a taxi, which was nice.

We wound up paying $80 (US) for 6 glasses of wine, a large soup, beef tenderloin and the cheese platter. (And there is free wifi should you need it.) Were I to go again, I'd skip the food and just have wine.

• Visited October 2016
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this review, 1 November 2016
Thank you for your review. Just to add on - for the wines by the glass we have for the red the selection of a full bodied and a dry wine and for the white we have the choice of a dry white and a fruity white.
“Wonderful ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

Let's start with a couple of very small negatives. The place is not what you can call modern and up to date and the staff could know a little more about the menu when asked at point of order.
To be honest, I had to consider negatives to show balance in this review.
When we go out for dinner we want to know the food is good and cooked properly in a clean kitchen. We want to enjoy the surroundings and talk over dinner in a relaxing way.
Firstly, as you go from the main restaurant to the washroom you pass the kitchen. Everything I could see was spotless and the sign of a well run establishment.
The menu is small, but from experience larger menus mean lower quality. Starters are a taste of delight and the main course perfect. Dessert came along as just the topping to an excellent meal.
We learned after our meal the chef has experience of working in a 3 star Michelin restaurant, and it shows.
We have now been to this place three times in as many years (we only go to Penang on holiday) and will certainly be back.
From what I have read from others I seem to be at a different place to them.
Maybe it's them or maybe it's me, but I know a good thing when I've found it.
Certainly WONDERFUL.

Visited October 2016
“Excited but underwhelmed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2016

Had been highly recommended. Lovely building, very nice interior. A super menu, but didn't quite live up to expectations. Only one other table eating on a Thursday night. Service was average despite there being 3 staff working. Had the pork neck steak, but creamy mushroom sauce and oily pesto potatoes weren't a good mix...too sickly. Didn't have the cheapest bottle of rose. Other half had beef which looked and tasted good. The waiter only came to life when we left and asked for our feedback which I gladly gave. Said they are changing their menu. My suggestion...your menu is too difficult and one night a week trim it right down and cut your prices...they are too high for average quality food. I've eaten elsewhere for half what I paid here with better food. All said, it's a great place, needs some tlc from the owner...who hopefully wasn't the 'wine expert' getting drunk with two female customers...not a great sight.

Visited October 2016
2 Thank Andre - Penang
TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this review, 21 October 2016
Hello - it was not the manager/owner who got drunk with two female guests - I was in the kitchen cooking.
Yes, we have changed the menu since last Monday and it is exciting fresh, new modern - not anymore the French Bistro Style we had - but it is not for you. If you cannot appreciate a traditional western pork dish then the modern western cooking we do now is not something you would appreciate. For the prices I must say that maybe you don't go very often to western restaurants here in Penang. Very likely if you don't like the food. Our prices are very well placed in the midrange when it comes to western food. And our food is top quality. We cannot and will not compete with Wan Tan Mee places. Thank you for your review but it was absolutely unnecessary.
Hong Kong
“nice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2016

I will start by saying that I concur with the owner, some of the reviews here are either fake or posted by deranged people. The place is not large enough for you to be ignored, in the few times I have visited, the staff have been very pleasant I have never had to wait more than a couple of mins for refill or wine and the food has always come our in a timely manner. I have the pleasure of chatting about wines to the English guy who works as Sommelier a couple of times. I can recommend the home made ravioli if its on the special board at the time you visit.

The only thing I would say is that the menu is rather small and a few items are more pub food than gourmet, a more varied choice would be better. I will surely visit next time I am in Penang with some guests

• Visited December 2015
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheBitterTruth, Owner at That Little Wine Bar, responded to this review, 22 August 2016
Thank you very much for your beautiful review. It will be a pleasure seeing you again in our little place when you are in Penang. :)