Paid for 3 nights but checked out after 1 night and eventually found the much nicer & superior Seven Terraces boutique hotel in George Town.
What we liked about this Campbell house hotel:
- nice interior design of the cosy hotel lobby and the rooms
- friendly hotel reception staff
- Nespresso machine in the room
- delicious fresh fruit at breakfast
- nice way to see how they use a rope attached to the inner roof to lift the luggage between ground & 2nd floor
What we didn't like about this hotel:
- we had picked the Colonial room based on TripAdvisor reviews stating the other rooms were having more street noise. Our Colonial room on 2nd floor is directly under the roof and the wall has on the other side all the airco-units resulting in a room that was >30 degrees. The airco unit inside the room was relatively loud and when it was operating it marginally brought the temperature down to about 27 degrees, which was still to warm for sleeping comfortably in.
- the hotel restaurant is Italian but of very mediocre quality and considering this mediocre quality not good value for money
- breakfast omelette was very greasy
- Italian owner not client service oriented and made it clear to my Italian wife that he was in business to make profits and not to please guests.
- outside terrace on 2nd floor very hotel and unbarebly noisy as it's where all the external airco-units are located
- no common seating areas in the hotel areas
We'd rate the hotel as a 3 but the attitude of the owner resulted in an overall 2 score
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Campbell House is a wonderful 12 bedroom boutique hotel with Italian restaurant located in the heart of heritage Georgetown. A stunning and unique 3 story corner shop house circa 1903 that has been extensively and lovingly restored offering today's modern traveler a luxurious home away from home. Campbell House has plenty of charm, and personal touches, modern amenities mixed with classic Colonial style at affordable prices. Perfectly located in the hustle of China Town, minutes from some of the best street food, and walking distance to historical museums, and fabulous street art. Campbell House offers an oasis of calm in this wonderful UNESCO world heritage city, come and explore Georgetown and Penang with us, we look forward to welcome you! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Campbell House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Campbell House Penang/George Town