Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
KWNick
Caracas, Distrito Federal, Venezuela

Set your expectation right and this would be your best holiday stay ever

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 27 Jul 2015
Firstly, understand that this is not a 5 or 6 star hotel but rather a closer to rural environment home stay. And no I would not classify it as budget hotel because it has charm of its own.

We received warm welcome from the owner and a brief tour on the surrounding. The environment is very much rural and laid back. Noon time can be pretty warm. Air conditioning is decent enough to compensate that.

Early morning and evening view is awesome. Makes waking up early so much more worthy. The sea breeze with a little stench is acceptable, remember this is a rural home stay. By the way, human waste gets flushed to the sea. You might get to see your own stuff.

I was lying in the open deck in the early evening having a nap. Very soon to realise I became the attention of passing tourist, some asking if I am local while some asking if they can visit the house. And some snapping pictures of me napping under the sun.

Right outside the jetty, there are pretty decent local food though some would tell you to travel distance to get them. When you are feeling lazy, fret not. It is less than 5 minutes walk away.

It is also conveniently situated within walking distance to the bus terminal to get you well connected to the rest of Penang.
Date of stay: July 2015
1.6 km from My Chew Jetty Homestay
  • Algotels
    RM 186
View more hotels in George Town
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 July 2015

Live in a vacation house in chew jetty is the best experience that ever had. The family is funny, kind and helpful. Nearby there got a nice bar where you can go have a drink. A place that is near to the town area and bus station. Out of the jetty there will be a lot of local foods to eat.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2015

My 4th time attempt to stay in Chew Jetty Homestay(uniquely houses built on sea and UNESCO heritage site) finally granted (though not staying exactly in Chew Jetty Homestay).
Always fully booked - I had tried my best to do early book (weeks before checking in, maybe it should be MONTHS before check-in is required, serious HOT DEMAND).

This time, the operator, Ms. Siew Pheng (all of them are Chews by the way), recommended me to stay with her aunt which a few steps away from the Homestay and we're staying basically nearer to the sea.

Siew Pheng called and whatsApped for confirmation and gentle reminder.
Detailed information was provided, where to park the car, how to reach the homestay, contacts and recommendations were all very helpful for trip itinerary planning.

Pros:
1) Non standard hotel setup - good for travelers/families who wanna go and experience near-to-real-life of people staying and living on sea (did I inform you guys that the homestays/houses are actually build on sea?). Unique experience!
2) Nearby to cheap (real cheap) and local taste (meant to locals and non tourist) hawker stall, just beside the temple - Check them out okie? for dinner and supper.
3) Near to UNESCO site - well those mural wall paintings, you know?
4) Lots of localized activities - eat, drink or rent a bicycle and round the place.
5) Auntie Chew even offered half boiled eggs for my kiddo as breakfast - whereby breakfast is not included in the package - in short; personal touch.

Cons:
1) No designated parking.
2) Walking is required.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Tang L
Reviewed 10 December 2014

I've just recently spent 2 days at My Chew Jetty Homestay. I have to say that my family and I felt very at home as the owner treated us like a family. The home stay has all the necessities, and convenience. A totally different experience in a positive manner

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2014

This is an interesting place. I used to see this place for many years from the ferry going to school to Penang but did not think to visit it but the time my wife who's Finnish wanted to visit the place. As we took the free bus from Komtar to Weld Quay it was only a short walk from there. Firstly one sees the temple on the outside before one goes into the village. It's very interesting the way people live. There's a bit of smell but I guess the residents are used to it. Everything looks very clean. They have a jetty in there too. I suppose some fishermen live there too. Motorcycles are the other popular means of transports. The homes are very tradional in that they all seem to have the alter in the front room. Plenty of little shops selling all sorts of things including food. Really worth a look. Sorry did not check out the home stay bit.

Room tip: You can take a free bus from the Ferry Terminal to Komtar in Penang Road. Just a 5 min walk from the village.
Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2014 via mobile

Stayed here one night because of location . It's like staying in a relative's house except you have to pay. People are nice but the sea breeze was horrible at night .
One has to share the bathroom n toilet with the occupants of the house which makes it very difficult .
Floor is very basic n place a bit run down but I guess , it's just a side income for them.
No twin beds and shared toilet and bathroom not convenient.

Date of stay: November 2014