Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
anniewphoto
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom

Great to see how the locals live

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 5 Jan 2017via mobile
I am all for seeing how the locals live and chose Chew Jetty because of this. Please read the description of your stay before you book and is is exactly what you will get. Siew Ping was great over email before and during the stay. Mr Chew doesn't speak any English but could not have looked after me better. The home is very clean and you can have teas / coffee / water during the day too. Mr Chew chopped me oranges everyday bless him. Breakfast is provided, toast, cereal, fruit. The air con in the room was poor however, Siew Ping was going to review this. In the description it mentions the odour that can arise from the water. This does happen and at points can be quite strong for non locals. However, I wanted to live as a local for a while. The best bit was sitting out on the veranda and watching the many tourists passing by. A great experience which I wouldn't have changed, but it won't be for everyone.
Date of stay: December 2016
1.4 km from My Chew Jetty Homestay
    RM 185
1.2 km from My Chew Jetty Homestay
View more hotels in George Town
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 January 2017

It was our first time staying in a jetty, we loved the location, sitting in the evening above the water… Facility itself built by immigrants, for sure construction very simple, toilet sewage directly down to the water, the electrical water heater for the shared shower was not working- but it was o.k., warm enough for cold water. Overall we liked it very much, because it was an exceptional experience not comparable to a hotel. We stayed 2 nights. We had no extended contact to the owner, got our keys without problems and gave it back to a family member. In the other parts of the jetty were some shops, we loved the freshly prepared mango juice!

I think, there are several rooms in different buildings, we stayed in the one close to the end (not the one having the sign on the door).

Overall- perfect for 2-3 nights to discover Penang and a real special experience. Just don't expect luxury room or similar.

Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2016

Uncle Chew is totally warm and friendly. He know that I walked from Jetty under the sun, he welcome me by cutting the orange and provide some cold water for me. One of the most special place is 2 chairs provided and I can sit on it and enjoy the nice sea view and the wind. Totally is an amazing experience for me. At night, I can sit on the chair and chat with my friend by enjoying the wind and the sound of the sea. During chit chat, we able to see the shadow of dolphin, a great experience to me. I will come back again in further, because it is too relax while I facing to the sea.

Room tip: Best view of the sea and House on the sea
Date of stay: November 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2015 via mobile

This was a great place to stay, it's on the jetty so has some beautiful views and the jetty itself is a very interesting and lively place. Location is great, right by the pier and walking distance to little India. The rooms were a good standard for the price, the owner was a lovely lady, very warm, chatty and friendly. Would definitely stay here again, this time opting for air con instead of fan as it was blisteringly hot. The fan would definitely be suitable for cooler months.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

First time staying at a jetty. Host was really nice and offered lots of advices. Wifi, simple breakfast coffee/tea provided and nice food located just opposite the jetty. Good place to stay especially if you are catching the morning ferry to langkawi. Within walking distance to the pier

Date of stay: August 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2015

Firstly, understand that this is not a 5 or 6 star hotel but rather a closer to rural environment home stay. And no I would not classify it as budget hotel because it has charm of its own.

We received warm welcome from the owner and a brief tour on the surrounding. The environment is very much rural and laid back. Noon time can be pretty warm. Air conditioning is decent enough to compensate that.

Early morning and evening view is awesome. Makes waking up early so much more worthy. The sea breeze with a little stench is acceptable, remember this is a rural home stay. By the way, human waste gets flushed to the sea. You might get to see your own stuff.

I was lying in the open deck in the early evening having a nap. Very soon to realise I became the attention of passing tourist, some asking if I am local while some asking if they can visit the house. And some snapping pictures of me napping under the sun.

Right outside the jetty, there are pretty decent local food though some would tell you to travel distance to get them. When you are feeling lazy, fret not. It is less than 5 minutes walk away.

It is also conveniently situated within walking distance to the bus terminal to get you well connected to the rest of Penang.

Date of stay: July 2015