Lowest prices for your stay
RM 300
RM 293
Fully refundable before Thu, 18 Apr
Get rewarded with One Key
Vio.com
RM 225
Fully refundable before Thu, 18 Apr
1,808 results
All reviews hawker stalls street food walking distance ban heang local food buffet breakfast clean hotel single bed nasi lemak hotel lobby strategic location pleasant stay housekeeping staff family room noodles front office komtar
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 October 2023

We reached the hotel at 1pm plus on a Sunday. We understand that the room is not ready yet and the front desk staff, Mr Kevin helped us to register first and informed us to come back at 3pm to collect our room key card. I've requested Kevin to give me a call if our room is ready and he said okay. I did not receive any phone call from the hotel. When we returned to the hotel at 3pm plus, there was a queue at the reception counter. The bellman is helpful enough to help us check whether our room key card was ready. He told us that our room key card was not there and asked us to queue for the front desk staff to issue the key card. The people in front of us were just arrived and they are checking in and getting their rooms. When it is my turn, again, Kevin is the staff attending to me without greeting or even a smile. I gave him my receipt and he is checking his system. It seems that my room was assigned to another guest already and he is searching for a room for me. I've been waiting there for more than 10 minutes, seeing the other front desk staff doing checked in fast and issued room keys to other guests. 3 to 4 rooms were issued next to me but I'm still waiting for my room, which made me feel what was the point for registered me first at 1pm plus when I reached and I might as well just check in at 3pm plus. Finally, Kevin issued room 605 to me and handed over me the key card with no apologies given. When we go to the room, the door could not be opened and not able to go inside the room. The door lock was having problem. We have to go down to the lobby and told Mr Kevin that we are not able to enter the room. We were waiting at the counter Again and waiting him to call the maintenance team. After he managed to contacted the maintenance, he just told us to go back to the room, as the maintenance team will be there to solve the issue. Again, no apologies given at all. The maintenance guy is there when we reached our room again and he has been trying his best to solve the door lock problem. Finally, the room door was able to open and problem solved.
The room was okay but it seems that the standard of cleanliness has dropped, which we could see the dirt marks on the wall and floor in the shower area. Also, the bathroom had bad odor. Housekeeping might needs to look into this issue.

When we checked out the next day morning, Mr Kevin is the one working at the front desk again. He is just looking at his computer when I walked near to the counter. When I passed him the room key card together with the key card paper slot, he is still looking at the computer without even look at me or smile. He took the key card and did not say anything. I asked him whether is everything okay and we could leave now. He then asked, "what is your room number?" My room number was stated at the key card paper slot Obviously. During checked in and even checked out time, I've not hear any greeting (good afternoon or good morning ) with smile from him at all. This made us feel we are not welcoming.

I've been quite satisfied with my previous stays with the friendly staffs working in the hotel. But this time, we really had a bad experience.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2023

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We thank you for spending time to write us a review. Please trust us that we have read through your message and we understand the frustration as we were unable to meet your expectations, especially during the check-in process. We promise to look into and improve the hospitality service provided by our colleagues at the front desk and our housekeeping team as we continue to prioritise our guests' comfort. Your valuable feedback will help us to reexamine our service standard and make improvement.

We hope this experience will not mar your impression of the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back with enhanced service soon. Thank you for your continued trust and support.

Reviewed 4 September 2023 via mobile

As with all Sunway hotel, this hotel is situated near most of the eateries. Thou the hotel looks run down, the rooms are well kept. Hygiene is our top priority. Sunway does it again.

The rooms are clean with no foul smells, toilet are clean, wouldn’t say it’s impressive but yes, quite clean.

The front line staffs are very helpful and always answers our questions with a smile.

Location wise, local eateries are just a walk away. There is a mall but I believe it was closed down. Probably the effect of Covid situations worldwide.

There is even a massage parlour just opposite the hotel to soothe your aching legs after a long day of activities.

However, it would be ideal if Sunway has a hotel nearer to the beach area. The accessibility to the beach was like abt 40mins away.

Otherwise, it’s a must go to hotel if u decide to visit Penny.

Room tip: There are free parking for the occupied. Just need to get the parking coupon from the front office.
Date of stay: May 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Sunway Hotel Seberang Jaya, Marketing at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2023

Dear Brendon,
Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We are glad to hear that our service meets your expectations and you find our location strategic. Please recommend us to your friends and family, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Penang.

Reviewed 30 July 2023 via mobile

Impossible! Unbelievable! Can't be true!! Definitely NOT travellers choice 2023! What bad taste!
Everything about this hotel is OLD..old dirty ironing board ; old iron with worn out cord..and numerous other OLD things the hotel never replaced or cleaned?
Never again and avoid if you can. Being near the hawker stalls is no great help as the locals themselves as so informed never frequent this unhygienic hawker centre.
Only gullible tourists ( like us). So heed this advice stay clear of this OLD hotel and its hawker centre. Opt for alternative more inviting hotels.

Room tip: Avoid staying
Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2023

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We would like to thank you for writing us a review, sharing your experience during your recent stay. We are sorry for the unpleasant experience and impression you have towards the hotel. Please be assured that the management remains committed to enhance the performance and appearance of our equipment, while we continue to maintain the hotel's cleanliness in order to ensure our guests' comfort. The location of the hotel is near many attractions and restaurants, offering easy access for our guests. As a value added service, we provide free shuttle to some of the attractions during weekends.

We hope this experience will not mar your impression of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming and serve you better in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed 29 May 2023

Strategic location where a lot of food stalls on the same street, even by walking distance within 15 mins also many good restaurants. Room is not big but very clean. Need to beware of the room charge online is only for two (2) people though I have selected the no. of passenger as 3, it is compulsory to pay extra headcount. Need to read carefully the room type selected that is allowing > 2 peoples without additional charge

Date of stay: April 2023
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2023

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We are glad to hear that our service meets your expectations, and you find our location strategic. Please allow us to clarify that, our Deluxe Twin and Deluxe King rooms only accommodate 2 persons, additional guest will be charged for an extra bed. While our Family Room is able to accommodate 3 persons. Please visit us again soon, we look forward to serve you better.

Thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Penang.

Reviewed 22 May 2023 via mobile

SUNWAY HOTEL
Georgetown, Penang

LENGTH OF STAY
1) 13 to 19 May 2023

NO OF TIMES STAYED IN SUNWAY HOTEL, Georgetown Penang
2) Two times before Covid19

SERVICE STAFF
3) The Front Desk staff, Kevin, Daniel, Nizam, Sabna were great. They were very helpful and polite.

AIRPORT TRANSFER
4) Sunway Georgetown do not provide free Airport transfer. Why is this? Should this be part of the hotel service to guests.

PRIVATE DRIVER
5) Mr Reihan was very polite, accommodating and helpful.

6) He drove us around Penang for 3 days.

7) He brought us to eat good food in Penang.

8) We were very happy with his service.

DELUX ROOM
9) The Pillows were hard, making it very uncomfortable to sleep.

10)The bedsheets & pillow cases, pillows and mattress looked very old, dirty and worn out.

NO GRAB BARS OR HANDRAILS
11) There were no grab bars or no handrails in the bathroom and shower room.

12) Very dangerous for families with children and elderly.

13) The shower head in the toilet was not aligned straight. Hence, when showering, the water was splashed all over the toilet but not on me.

14) So I had to hold the shower head to have a good shower twice a day.

15) Toilet lights were flickering and had a buzzing sound.

HOUSEKEEPING STAFF
16) The housekeeping staff were polite and helpful.

COFFEE HOUSE @SUNWAY
Managed by Solutions
17) The buffet breakfast was a total disaster.

18) The menu for buffet breakfast served daily was almost the same.
- The various noodles served during the week were very oily and salty.
- The nasi lemak was a complete wash off. Poor quality rice. No taste of coconut at all.
- The sambal tumis was tasteless. There was no taste of lemongrass, tamarind or prawn paste at all.
- The fried ikan billis was so hard. Food lovers will definitely know the difference between crispy and hard. Sunway Georgetown served hard ikan billis!
- Fried Samosas and popiahs were soggy and not crispy at all.
- Nuggets were hard like stone.
- Coffee was totally diluted.

The only saving grace for breakfast were the
- Banana Cake
- Guava Juice
- Apple Juice

19) The cook does not know how to make a hard boiled egg or a half boiled egg.

20) The cook was NOT wearing a mask.

21) Does the F&B Manager in Sunway Hotel do a quality control check in the morning by eating the breakfast served to paying guests?

22) Penang is well known for her Local Cuisine and A Food Paradise.

23) Please employ the right local people to cook Penang local food in Sunway Georgetown.

24) Totally the breakfast for the 6 days was a HUGE DISSAPPOINTMENT!

CHANGE TO ANOTHER HOTEL
25) We did not change to another hotel as my husband and I were elderly. Too much of inconvenience for us. Besides, we had paid the full amount to our Travel Agent in Singapore.

OVERALL RATING OF THE HOTEL
26) Very Poor. 3/10

Regards
Dr Mary

Date of stay: May 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2023

Dear Dr Mary,
Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We are glad to hear that the services provided by our colleagues from the front desk and housekeeping departments meet your expectations. We appreciate your feedback on the room facilities, amenities and food and beverage quality. Rest assured that our team has taken action to rectify the maintenance issues in the guest room, while our housekeeping team will continue to upkeep the cleanliness of the room. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff for more pillow choices for your future stay, we will be glad to assist. The management also conveyed your comment on the food quality to the team at the restaurant for improvement. The hotel does not provide an airport transfer service at the moment, however, our guests may reach us at shgp.enquiry@sunwayhotels.com, or shgp.reservations@sunwayhotels.com should there be any special requirement, we will definitely assist at our level best.

We would like to reiterate that your comfort and experience remain our utmost priorities. Please trust us that we will continue to enhance our service as we value every support and trust from our guests.

We thank you for your patronage, and hope this experience does not mar your impression of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back with enhanced services soon.