3 people are viewing this hotel
Fully refundable before Wed, 6 Mar
KLOOK
RM 183
1,807 results
All reviews hawker stalls street food walking distance ban heang local food buffet breakfast clean hotel single bed nasi lemak hotel lobby strategic location pleasant stay housekeeping staff family room noodles front office komtar
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 November 2023

Very comfy sized room. Excellent for finding local foods. so close. Good location. good for sleep ins. Not in the least noisy. I shall be back again. Very friendly and helpful staff. Very safe area.

Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2023

Dear Tan,
Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We are glad to learn that our service meets your expectations and you find our location strategic. Please recommend us to your friends and family, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Penang.

Reviewed 3 October 2023

We reached the hotel at 1pm plus on a Sunday. We understand that the room is not ready yet and the front desk staff, Mr Kevin helped us to register first and informed us to come back at 3pm to collect our room key card. I've requested Kevin to give me a call if our room is ready and he said okay. I did not receive any phone call from the hotel. When we returned to the hotel at 3pm plus, there was a queue at the reception counter. The bellman is helpful enough to help us check whether our room key card was ready. He told us that our room key card was not there and asked us to queue for the front desk staff to issue the key card. The people in front of us were just arrived and they are checking in and getting their rooms. When it is my turn, again, Kevin is the staff attending to me without greeting or even a smile. I gave him my receipt and he is checking his system. It seems that my room was assigned to another guest already and he is searching for a room for me. I've been waiting there for more than 10 minutes, seeing the other front desk staff doing checked in fast and issued room keys to other guests. 3 to 4 rooms were issued next to me but I'm still waiting for my room, which made me feel what was the point for registered me first at 1pm plus when I reached and I might as well just check in at 3pm plus. Finally, Kevin issued room 605 to me and handed over me the key card with no apologies given. When we go to the room, the door could not be opened and not able to go inside the room. The door lock was having problem. We have to go down to the lobby and told Mr Kevin that we are not able to enter the room. We were waiting at the counter Again and waiting him to call the maintenance team. After he managed to contacted the maintenance, he just told us to go back to the room, as the maintenance team will be there to solve the issue. Again, no apologies given at all. The maintenance guy is there when we reached our room again and he has been trying his best to solve the door lock problem. Finally, the room door was able to open and problem solved.
The room was okay but it seems that the standard of cleanliness has dropped, which we could see the dirt marks on the wall and floor in the shower area. Also, the bathroom had bad odor. Housekeeping might needs to look into this issue.

When we checked out the next day morning, Mr Kevin is the one working at the front desk again. He is just looking at his computer when I walked near to the counter. When I passed him the room key card together with the key card paper slot, he is still looking at the computer without even look at me or smile. He took the key card and did not say anything. I asked him whether is everything okay and we could leave now. He then asked, "what is your room number?" My room number was stated at the key card paper slot Obviously. During checked in and even checked out time, I've not hear any greeting (good afternoon or good morning ) with smile from him at all. This made us feel we are not welcoming.

I've been quite satisfied with my previous stays with the friendly staffs working in the hotel. But this time, we really had a bad experience.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2023

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We thank you for spending time to write us a review. Please trust us that we have read through your message and we understand the frustration as we were unable to meet your expectations, especially during the check-in process. We promise to look into and improve the hospitality service provided by our colleagues at the front desk and our housekeeping team as we continue to prioritise our guests' comfort. Your valuable feedback will help us to reexamine our service standard and make improvement.

We hope this experience will not mar your impression of the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back with enhanced service soon. Thank you for your continued trust and support.

Reviewed 4 September 2023 via mobile

As with all Sunway hotel, this hotel is situated near most of the eateries. Thou the hotel looks run down, the rooms are well kept. Hygiene is our top priority. Sunway does it again.

The rooms are clean with no foul smells, toilet are clean, wouldn’t say it’s impressive but yes, quite clean.

The front line staffs are very helpful and always answers our questions with a smile.

Location wise, local eateries are just a walk away. There is a mall but I believe it was closed down. Probably the effect of Covid situations worldwide.

There is even a massage parlour just opposite the hotel to soothe your aching legs after a long day of activities.

However, it would be ideal if Sunway has a hotel nearer to the beach area. The accessibility to the beach was like abt 40mins away.

Otherwise, it’s a must go to hotel if u decide to visit Penny.

Room tip: There are free parking for the occupied. Just need to get the parking coupon from the front office.
Date of stay: May 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Sunway Hotel Seberang Jaya, Marketing at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2023

Dear Brendon,
Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We are glad to hear that our service meets your expectations and you find our location strategic. Please recommend us to your friends and family, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Penang.

Reviewed 30 July 2023 via mobile

Impossible! Unbelievable! Can't be true!! Definitely NOT travellers choice 2023! What bad taste!
Everything about this hotel is OLD..old dirty ironing board ; old iron with worn out cord..and numerous other OLD things the hotel never replaced or cleaned?
Never again and avoid if you can. Being near the hawker stalls is no great help as the locals themselves as so informed never frequent this unhygienic hawker centre.
Only gullible tourists ( like us). So heed this advice stay clear of this OLD hotel and its hawker centre. Opt for alternative more inviting hotels.

Room tip: Avoid staying
Date of stay: July 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2023

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We would like to thank you for writing us a review, sharing your experience during your recent stay. We are sorry for the unpleasant experience and impression you have towards the hotel. Please be assured that the management remains committed to enhance the performance and appearance of our equipment, while we continue to maintain the hotel's cleanliness in order to ensure our guests' comfort. The location of the hotel is near many attractions and restaurants, offering easy access for our guests. As a value added service, we provide free shuttle to some of the attractions during weekends.

We hope this experience will not mar your impression of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming and serve you better in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed 29 May 2023

Strategic location where a lot of food stalls on the same street, even by walking distance within 15 mins also many good restaurants. Room is not big but very clean. Need to beware of the room charge online is only for two (2) people though I have selected the no. of passenger as 3, it is compulsory to pay extra headcount. Need to read carefully the room type selected that is allowing > 2 peoples without additional charge

Date of stay: April 2023
Sunway Hotel Georgetown, Owner at Sunway Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2023

Greetings from Sunway Hotel Georgetown.

We are glad to hear that our service meets your expectations, and you find our location strategic. Please allow us to clarify that, our Deluxe Twin and Deluxe King rooms only accommodate 2 persons, additional guest will be charged for an extra bed. While our Family Room is able to accommodate 3 persons. Please visit us again soon, we look forward to serve you better.

Thank you for making us your preferred hotel in Penang.